Last-man foul red card rule to be reviewed

Village Idiot

The rule is fine as it is tbh. Giving a pen for a foul outside of the box is madness.

Agree with this. We're a few stops away from the pen being taken from the centre spot with the player dribbling up for a shot on goal.

That shit can fuck off.

Someone suggested if they score the penalty, yellow, if they miss, red but you'd have players deliberately missing if they thought they could play 85 minutes from 0-0 vs ten man chelsea than have a one goal lead against a full side.

Fk that if your the last man you should go, fkn hell man they go real tough on stuff that should be relaxed on but this kind of thing has and always should be a red.

all depends, if the person brings the player down deliberately then yes, but if their is a genuine attempt to go for the ball then it shouldn't be

Wrong, get the tackle the right and you won't have to be sent off.

The rule is fine as it is tbh. Giving a pen for a foul outside of the box is madness.

Agree with this. We're a few stops away from the pen being taken from the centre spot with the player dribbling up for a shot on goal.

That s*** can f*** off.

That's the shoot-out process that some high schools use in Texas for tied games.  Ball is placed 35 yards from goal (easy with the grid iron stadiums we play in) and the attacker has 5 seconds to get the shot away. I was 10 minutes from going to a shootout last night (as the center ref) and luckily one team got a coupld of quick goals.  Didn't want to go through the mechanics of timing the 5 secs and the drama of the shootout.....inevitably there are keeper/shooter collisions resulting in possible PK and ejections.

However, all that said.....for the last-man foul, a red card and this style shot would see to deal with the infringement and replace the scoring opportunity.

That s*** can f*** off.

That's the shoot-out process that some high schools use in Texas for tied games.  Ball is placed 35 yards from goal (easy with the grid iron stadiums we play in) and the attacker has 5 seconds to get the shot away. I was 10 minutes from going to a shootout last night (as the center ref) and luckily one team got a coupld of quick goals.  Didn't want to go through the mechanics of timing the 5 secs and the drama of the shootout.....inevitably there are keeper/shooter collisions resulting in possible PK and ejections.

However, all that said.....for the last-man foul, a red card and this style shot would see to deal with the infringement and replace the scoring opportunity.

I thought they used a system in MLS or at least America but didn't want to say it in case I was wrong since I don't really watch them leagues. Where do the other players stand, sidelines?

Miss timed/bad tackle inside the penalty area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = Yellow card + penalty

Tackles from behind, cynical tackles, studs up or anything else that would give a straight red in a normal situation, inside the area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = Red Card + penalty + three game ban

Miss timed/bad tackle outside the area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = red card + free kick

Tackles from behind, cynical tackles, studs up or anything else that would give a straight red in a normal situation, outside the area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = red card + free kick + three game ban

IMO

That s*** can f*** off.

I thought they used a system in MLS or at least America but didn't want to say it in case I was wrong since I don't really watch them leagues. Where do the other players stand, sidelines?

They used it in the NASL and the first few years of the MLS, but no more. Rules were brought more or less in line with FIFA.

Anything could have happened, you can't just assume things and change a fluid situation into a strictly enforced one.

Okay fair enough, but I'd still class it as denying a clear goalscoring opportunity and should carry a harsher punishment.

How about a 'dribble penalty' where the attacker gets a 5 yard head start on a defender from where the incident occurred?

How about FIFA stop pricking about with this kind of thing and try to improve the shocking quality of refereeing in the professional game and sort out the game at grassroots level. That'd be a better use of time.

That s*** can f*** off.

For my high school games, it's used only for deciding tied games in place of a standard Penalty kick shootout..  So all players are on the sidelines except for the keeper(s), the shooter (and the upcoming shooters waiting in center circle) just like a normal tie break penalty shootout.  It's a one shot deal - no rebounds.  It's not used in the normal course of the game except for deciding tied games.

Miss timed/bad tackle inside the penalty area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = Yellow card + penalty

Tackles from behind, cynical tackles, studs up or anything else that would give a straight red in a normal situation, inside the area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = Red Card + penalty + three game ban

Miss timed/bad tackle outside the area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = red card + free kick

Tackles from behind, cynical tackles, studs up or anything else that would give a straight red in a normal situation, outside the area, denying a goal scoring opportunity = red card + free kick + three game ban

IMO

Throwing around three match bans for bad tackles is a bit ridiculous, imo. Bans should only come in for excessively violent or dangerous conduct.

IMO

Throwing around three match bans for bad tackles is a bit ridiculous, imo. Bans should only come in for excessively violent or dangerous conduct.

I don't think anyone is really talking about "bad tackles" in the box.  When I hear "last-man foul" I see them blatantly trying to stop an almost for-sure goal (regardless of how cynical the challenge is).  If you get the tackle right the stakes are just as high as getting it wrong.  Don't go in for it if you're not ready to deal with the outcome.  It's a pretty simple rule (and rightly in place).  If you soften this rule you will see many more over the top/cynical challenges hacking down guys in and around the box.  If you're the last man and you get the tackle wrong you are rightly sent for an early bath.

anyone think the penalty yesterday was a sending off also instead of a yellow. infact i'm convinced the ref wasn't even going to book him till the crowd started shouting "off, off"

Nah, thought the ref made the right decision. It wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity as he was going away from goal, but it was definitely a yellow card offense.

anyone think the penalty yesterday was a sending off also instead of a yellow. infact i'm convinced the ref wasn't even going to book him till the crowd started shouting "off, off"

Nah, thought the ref made the right decision. It wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity as he was going away from goal, but it was definitely a yellow card offense.

it was a clear goal scoring opportunity if he hadn't been fouled.

IMO

I don't think anyone is really talking about "bad tackles" in the box.  When I hear "last-man foul" I see them blatantly trying to stop an almost for-sure goal (regardless of how cynical the challenge is).  If you get the tackle right the stakes are just as high as getting it wrong.  Don't go in for it if you're not ready to deal with the outcome.  It's a pretty simple rule (and rightly in place).  If you soften this rule you will see many more over the top/cynical challenges hacking down guys in and around the box.  If you're the last man and you get the tackle wrong you are rightly sent for an early bath.

I can't see that 'only' giving away a penalty and a yellow is going to encourage defenders to be more careless or aggressive in that situation. It's still a big punishment - just a different and a more appropriate one than a free kick and a sending off.

These days it's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity as he was going away from goal (strange concept when he's getting closer to it I know), so a yellow was the only possible decision.

Tend to be of the opinion that a penalty + red is much too strong a punishment in the instances where a defender/keeper narrowly fails to get to a 50-50 ball.

If the foul is done deliberately then yes, the guy should get a red. But when you get beaten by milliseconds in a genuine attempt to win the ball, the punishment is a bit severe IMO.

The situation we have now is that for a player bearing down on goal, it is better to get the pen and the defender sent off than to try and beat the keeper. Espescially if it's an awkward angle to score or he doesn't have the ball under control, he'll go for the dive. If most of the game is left, the defending team is a man down because of what may have been an accidental foul.

Players are aware of this and all too often we are seeing people go down too easily or run across the defender to tangle themselves and go down. They still have the keeper to beat, they know the pen will probably go in and can get the guy sent off. Rather than shoot, they go down.

I think this is one of the more sensible suggestions there has been. Leave it to the ref's discretion and give him the option of a yellow + pen.

I also think there are refs who are too afraid to give the pen because they know they must also give a red. They want to give it but are frightened of getting it wrong and err on the side of caution. Give them more discretion to judge the cynicism of the foul and the extent of the 'clear goalscoring opportunity'.

These days it's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity as he was going away from goal (strange concept when he's getting closer to it I know), so a yellow was the only possible decision.

is that official as had he not been fouled his next touch would have been a shot at goal. are we reaching ther point where andy fray is going to be saying "oooooohhhhh look, he was actually drifting a foot wide of the goal so no sending off." he was goalward bound, not heading towards his own half.

is that official as had he not been fouled his next touch would have been a shot at goal. are we reaching ther point where andy fray is going to be saying "oooooohhhhh look, he was actually drifting a foot wide of the goal so no sending off." he was goalward bound, not heading towards his own half.

That's an absolutely ludicrous rule if that is the case. In that situation, going "away from goal" creates a better opportunity because it causes the goalkeeper to shift position to cover his near post and create a better angle for shooting into the far corner. The rule is basically saying that the best goalscoring opportunity is to run directly at the goalkeeper.