bnp to allow non-whites to join party

summerof69

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE61D27S20100214?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=401

LONDON (Reuters) - The far-right British National Party voted on Sunday to open membership to non-whites following the threat of a court injunction and said it expected a "trickle" of black and Asian people to join its ranks.

The party, which calls for a halt to immigration, voluntary repatriation of immigrants and Britain's withdrawal from the European Union, held the after the Central London County Court told the BNP to amend its constitution.

Failure to comply with race relations laws could result in legal action by the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

"Anyone can be a member of this party," party leader Nick Griffin told Sky News after the vote. "We are happy to accept anyone as a member providing they agree with us that this country is and should remain fundamentally British." When asked if he expected many non-white members to join, he said: "I am not expecting a great deal. How many will join? I don't know, but I am pretty sure that it will be a trickle, rather than a flood."

The BNP has been at the fringes of politics in multi-racial Britain. It has no seats in the national parliament but plans to field hundreds of candidates in a general election due by June.

The BNP's popularity has grown in recent years at a time of rising unemployment and disenchantment with mainstream parties fuelled by a parliamentary expenses scandal. It has a number of local councillors and in June won two seats in the European Parliament.

He said party members overwhelmingly voted for the change to its constitution.

"Some of them are happy with it, some of them aren't, but virtually all recognise that the change had to come," he said.

The matter will now go to court where it will be decided whether the BNP has done enough to comply.

Is it realy? I have just had a look at the bnp site and some of the people on there seem to think this is a good idea and that it will help the party because people will no longer be able to call them racist one person wrote " the lefties have scored an own goal"

Is it realy? I have just had a look at the bnp site and some of the people on there seem to think this is a good idea and that it will help the party because people will no longer be able to call them racist one person wrote " the lefties have scored an own goal"

And they're absolutely right of course...because no non-white person will join the party, but the BNP will be able to turn round to people and say they are open and transparent and non-racist, and so giving them greater "guilt-free" legitimacy and appeal to disenchanted white working class voters at the coming General Election. It really wouldn't be surprising to see them get at least one MP out of the next election, and this move makes it more, not less, likely.

And they're absolutely right of course...because no non-white person will join the party, but the BNP will be able to turn round to people and say they are open and transparent and non-racist, and so giving them greater "guilt-free" legitimacy and appeal to disenchanted white working class voters at the coming General Election. It really wouldn't be surprising to see them get at least one MP out of the next election, and this move makes it more, not less, likely.

Hmmmm what chance a concerted effort by some minorities to join up en masse and take over ?

Hmmmm what chance a concerted effort by some minorities to join up en masse and take over ?

no chance, they will be fringe members at best, not invited to any itk meetings.  kind of like howTony blair ran the country without a cabinet.

Somehow I doubt their will be many joining, unless they themselves have a problem with being black (Micheal Jacksons dead so their goes the one possible memeber), anyway non of them will ever be a leader locally or nationally as the other members will just say the white person up against for the role is the better leader, it makes no difference at all.

Guest elbee909

I'm semi-serious about people from all ethnicities joining the party.  What this nation is about is multiculturalism and these white power cocks are the minority; not ethnically, but ideologically.  It'd be wonderful if the BNP was essentially made more nominally accurate in this way.  Ok, so the KKK-wannabes will probably piss off and make another party but the point would have been made.

I'm sure the ethnic minorities are just clamouring over each other to sign up.

come on man think about it, they'd sign up to piss them off and show them up.

anyone know the law political parties and voting rights ?

Guest kingdawson

This is ridiculous, it's like Jeremy Clarkson being a supporter of the Green Party. Let us just abolish the party if they are allowing ethnic minorities to join.

You sound dissapointed.