Wireless connection.

Optimistic Nut

Just got Virgin Media at the new flat and been given a wireless router, I've set the whole thing up with the walk-through setup on the disk, but I can't use the laptop wirelessly! I've only got one laptop, the modem is connected to the walk and the wireless router plugged-in, what am I missing?

Just got Virgin Media at the new flat and been given a wireless router, I've set the whole thing up with the walk-through setup on the disk, but I can't use the laptop wirelessly! I've only got one laptop, the modem is connected to the walk and the wireless router plugged-in, what am I missing?

An understanding that Virgin are shit.

An understanding that Virgin are s***.

Ahhahahahahah no. Virgin are spot on for me no problems at all and problems like this one are usually pretty easily solved.

Right click on My Computer go to hardware and device manager (off the top of my head, don't have XP now). Find anything to do with the wireless or router and remove the drivers and start all over again but making sure you don't plug it in until the drivers are all installed. In their old software Virgin used to tell you when to plug the device in, not sure if they still do.

Also if you know the make of the router there will be ways to install everything you need without using Virgins software.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a bit of a problem with my own wireless network. It's seeming to drop pretty regularly, and it's getting really annoying. I've tried moving the router, changing the channel, but no better. I assume it's something to do with the router, because it happens with my laptop(when going on the net) and the 360 (when trying to stream media from my PC, which is connected with a LAN). It's weird though, because it doesn't actually disconnect, the traffic just drops to zero for about 5-20 seconds, and then it starts up again. Tried to update the router firmware, but it already has the latest version. Dunno what else to do really. Anyone got a suggestion? :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion Virgin Media have over-extended themselves, hence the horrendous customer services stories you read about on the forums.

They are grabbing lots of new customers, but they lack the trained staff - both on-the-ground and in their call centres to keep everyone happy.

I was due an install last week, and to cut a long story short, they fucked up. So I read about various people who try the 'email the CEO' route to customer satisfaction.

Did a search, found the CEOs name. Connected it to virginmedia.co.uk, and 2 hours later got a reply!

Next day (Sunday) his PA rang me and said that she would sort it out.

Next day engineer comes round sorts everything out. Now Broadband, wireless coverage and HD TV all up and working.

Obviously this idyllic situation may not last forever, but I will keep you all posted.

But it just goes to show, sometimes CEOs are so far removed from the realities of the companies they run.