Football podcasts

Gash

Haven't listened to the Totally Football Show for a little while but thought this weekend's one would be a good one to get back into. The random selection of guests seem really poor all the time now

The Wolves lady saying Salah was disappointing because he didn't reveal a Why Always Me t shirt.

The Manc fella saying Graham Potter is starting to be taken seriously because he's grown a beard and the League Cup suffers because the trophy is physically ugly. Has it really turned this banter-riffic?

They should just have Daniel Storey and Michael Cox on permanently otherwise you may as well just ask random fans to provide analysis

100%

On 15/06/2020 at 16:51, Wullie said:

Hmm I still quite like both tbh. I really like Daniel Storey and Michael Cox on Totally but almost everyone else they have on I can take or leave.

Michael Cox appearing is a bit of a rarity these days too.

Yeah I can rarely be bothered with it these days. Literally only listen to Set Piece Menu now but even they skirted on the edge of infuriating-as-fuck when it came to Newcastle discussion. Well, only Steve Wyeth really, but then he's always been the worst one. But I mean even Rory Smith went on some mad waffle about how "let's face it, Newcastle fans' suffering has been nothing like the suffering of people from Yemen." Couldn't believe my ears. Ah well. I've got tickets for their live show in Manchester so I'll throw something. 

Off behind enemy lines to see Undr the Cosh live at the Roker Hotel later this week, Alex Rae is the guest and given Chris Brown's presence I'm hoping it's not too Sunlun focused.

Have seen some of the footage from their other shows which mainly involves Parky with his shirt off singing Red Light Spells Danger on the karaoke. Should be funny :lol:

Just now, Pilko said:

Off behind enemy lines to see Undr the Cosh live at the Roker Hotel later this week, Alex Rae is the guest and given Chris Brown's presence I'm hoping it's not too Sunlun focused.

Have seen some of the footage from their other shows which mainly involves Parky with his shirt off singing Red Light Spells Danger on the karaoke. Should be funny :lol:

I'm going to the Manchester one, no guest announced currently. Brown doesn't talk too much about Sunderland in the podcasts usually, he did more so when they first started.

6 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

I'm going to the Manchester one, no guest announced currently. Brown doesn't talk too much about Sunderland in the podcasts usually, he did more so when they first started.

Not sure who they'll get for that. When I saw Paddy Kenny, Mark Crossley etc announced for some of the other shows I was a bit miffed at getting Rae but I'm told on good authority from "Mackem at work" that he's entertaining.

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Not sure who they'll get for that. When I saw Paddy Kenny, Mark Crossley etc announced for some of the other shows I was a bit miffed at getting Rae but I'm told on good authority from "Mackem at work" that he's entertaining.

Yeah same, I really wanted Saunders he's really funny but he's just done Sheffield.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Not one I've ever listened to mesen but the BT Sport Writers podcast this week is entirely about us, by the looks of it, including Ashworth chat. 

Just listened to it while our work. Still a decent enough listen, but I'd say about 4/5 mins of the 46 were dedicated to Newcastle. 

On 25/10/2021 at 13:19, Pilko said:

Was this any good?

52 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Was this any good?

It was alright, Rae was a decent guest and told some good stories but it was way too Sunlun focused (pandering to the crowd) and Parky barely said a word all night which is a shame considering he's the funniest.

I'd go again but not to a Sunderland show and I'd happily travel for a better guest. Apparently David Wheater at Boro Town Hall was incredible, kind of wish I'd gone to that instead.

18 minutes ago, Pilko said:

It was alright, Rae was a decent guest and told some good stories but it was way too Sunlun focused (pandering to the crowd) and Parky barely said a word all night which is a shame considering he's the funniest.

I'd go again but not to a Sunderland show and I'd happily travel for a better guest. Apparently David Wheater at Boro Town Hall was incredible, kind of wish I'd gone to that instead.

I've met Parkinson at a party and he was genuinely awful crack. Chris Brown however was lovely.

Anyone listened to today's Guardian? I thought Jonathan Liew's take on the Zouma situation was so fucking stupid. There was a great irony in him making a point about people getting on their high horse, when that was precisely what he was doing by making that point. It was almost like he was trying to make - what would normally be - a valid point (which I think @Wullie has mentioned on here once or twice recently) about taking the context away for the sake of getting outraged. It's an absolutely atrocious example to apply that idea too, though. Meanwhile waffling on with some whataboutery I could barely follow regarding the Qatar WC. 

He's a pretentious bellend, that bloke. On the other hand, Nedum Omuoha was on and he should be on more. Really enjoyed listening to him and he gave a great insight into our situation, from the point of view of being an academy lad becoming surrounded by takeover culture.

On 10/02/2022 at 12:50, Kid Icarus said:

I used to love that sort of thing, but I dunno if it's reached saturation point, I've reached saturation point, or I'm just getting older. 

I don't think I believe anyone's really knowledgable or insightful until I've heard them talk about Newcastle, because quite often it's clear that they don't know what they're talking about. Gary Neville has been especially guilty of this and it does make me wonder whether the same applies to other clubs. Tifo, HITC, James Lawrence, and a fair few journalists on TFS and other podcasts have all done it too. It makes me think that a huge part of it with a lot of them is just blagging and relying on the majority of the audience being blaggers too, similar to TalkSport. 

Two perfect Newcastle-based examples of this on The Totally Football Show this week, one of which was in a 'dispelling myths' section. Absolute chancers. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Two perfect Newcastle-based examples of this on The Totally Football Show this week, one of which was in a 'dispelling myths' section. Absolute chancers. 

Was the other one (ie not the Asprilla chat) the thing about Trippier's price tag? Cos I thought of your post as soon as they were saying that. :lol:

Just now, Yorkie said:

Was the other one (ie not the Asprilla chat) the thing about Trippier's price tag? Cos I thought of your post as soon as they were saying that. :lol:

:lol: Exactly that. It was a perfect demostration of how these things spread as well. One of them said it, then the other goes 'and you're right, people did question the price tag' not wanting to sound stupid and just assuming he knew what he was talking about. Surely even non-Newcastle fans listening must have been like 'wasn't he only £12m?'

Fucking 'Asprilla wasn't at fault, unless he was Darren Peacock's defensive coach' ffs. :lol: All laughing over their chardonays about it. Them thinking they were dispelling a myth by just bringing up another one was perfect.

On 09/02/2022 at 13:38, Yorkie said:

Anyone listened to today's Guardian? I thought Jonathan Liew's take on the Zouma situation was so fucking stupid. There was a great irony in him making a point about people getting on their high horse, when that was precisely what he was doing by making that point. It was almost like he was trying to make - what would normally be - a valid point (which I think @Wullie has mentioned on here once or twice recently) about taking the context away for the sake of getting outraged. It's an absolutely atrocious example to apply that idea too, though. Meanwhile waffling on with some whataboutery I could barely follow regarding the Qatar WC. 

He's a pretentious bellend, that bloke. On the other hand, Nedum Omuoha was on and he should be on more. Really enjoyed listening to him and he gave a great insight into our situation, from the point of view of being an academy lad becoming surrounded by takeover culture.

Liew can write a lovely match report, but when it comes to actually discussing the game with nuance instead of description of events he falls down.

He's not quite Barney Ronay, but he's close.

Agree on Nedem Omuoha, I heard him talking about the weirdness of being a premier league player being expected to be on time exactly and wearing club outfits etc and being in charge as a captain of doling out fines etc for minor breeches and then moving into punditry world and having a culture shock of 'what you mean i can wear what i want?" was actually quite interesting hearing him talk about how sort of weirdly infantilizing being a footballer is albeit he saw the point

29 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: Exactly that. It was a perfect demostration of how these things spread as well. One of them said it, then the other goes 'and you're right, people did question the price tag' not wanting to sound stupid and just assuming he knew what he was talking about. Surely even non-Newcastle fans listening must have been like 'wasn't he only £12m?'

Fucking 'Asprilla wasn't at fault, unless he was Darren Peacock's defensive coach' ffs. :lol: All laughing over their chardonays about it. Them thinking they were dispelling a myth by just bringing up another one was perfect.

That nusem Dora (?) podcast did one about our game at Anfield that season where they actually said lots of generous things about us that year, and made lots of good points about the Tino myth and other things. Very knowledgable but a bit dry.

One thing I always remember about TF is when they sneered at people who attacked Bamford for being privately educated. It’s not a big deal etc, and maybe it’s not, whatever. Of course a minute later one of them mentioned he had went to school with Bamford’s brother. of course he had 

A second is when that brummie prick casually said he hoped Newcastle got relegated, and even Richardson sounded annoyed at the lack of insight and impartiality. 

32 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You've nailed a point that I've wondered about that show for a while tbh. If they're wrong about Newcastle, are they wrong about everyone, and I just don't know any better? It's probably not as bad as that, but it does make you question the validity of their overall analysis and you wonder if they're just perpetuating the popular view for the sake of creating a (presumably lucrative) podcast. 

I know TFS's roots are much older and I do like James Richardson, but I have to say I find The Athletic's podcast output horribly pretentious at times, particularly 'The Football Show' and that obnoxiously loud fucking jingle. Mark Chapman and his terribly thoughtful hypothetical questions that he already knows the answer to, etc. So many contributors across the board just come across disingenuous and speak in such a false 'broadcast' tone which I find very tedious. Joe Devine on Tifo has a bit of stick and I don't mind him, but you still get a slightly false impression and that he's just trying to be Richardson. The Football Clichés one is alright in terms of its attitude but I never find it that interesting. 

I might as well have another go at Pod on the Tyne whilst I'm here. It's quite telling that, out of the millions of podcasts that Manscaped has infected - with their playfully-branded products we've all heard marketed a thousand times by now - it's Taylor Payne who can't get to the end of a plug without wheezing hysterically at the word 'balls'. Fucking grow up man, tedious bellend.