Scotland loses one CL place

Village Idiot

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5959632,00.html

Scotland will lose one of their two Champions League places from the season after next, the Scottish Premier League have confirmed.

Thursday night's Europa League results for Belgian clubs saw them overtake Scotland into 15th spot in Uefa's co-efficient ranking table.

A fall to 16th also means the 2010-11 SPL champions will not qualify automatically for the following season's Champions League group stage.

They will instead have to navigate three qualifying rounds, though all matches will be against champions from smaller European nations rather than runners-up or third and fourth-placed sides from larger countries.

But the loss of a Champions League spot is potentially a huge blow to Rangers and Celtic, who published their half-yearly accounts this week in which the difference between reaching the group stage and failing to do so was laid bare.

Next season will see both the SPL winners and runners-up in the Champions League, with the runners-up facing two qualifying rounds, the second of which could be against one of the giants of the European game.

"Our clubs are sorted for next season. It's for the season after that that Belgium are now above us," said an SPL spokesman.

Big blow, but probably warranted given how much Scottish football has declined this decade. Now it will be interesting to see what happens with the Old Firm, since they won't have guaranteed CL money every season anymore.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5959632,00.html

Scotland will lose one of their two Champions League places from the season after next, the Scottish Premier League have confirmed.

Thursday night's Europa League results for Belgian clubs saw them overtake Scotland into 15th spot in Uefa's co-efficient ranking table.

A fall to 16th also means the 2010-11 SPL champions will not qualify automatically for the following season's Champions League group stage.

They will instead have to navigate three qualifying rounds, though all matches will be against champions from smaller European nations rather than runners-up or third and fourth-placed sides from larger countries.

But the loss of a Champions League spot is potentially a huge blow to Rangers and Celtic, who published their half-yearly accounts this week in which the difference between reaching the group stage and failing to do so was laid bare.

Next season will see both the SPL winners and runners-up in the Champions League, with the runners-up facing two qualifying rounds, the second of which could be against one of the giants of the European game.

"Our clubs are sorted for next season. It's for the season after that that Belgium are now above us," said an SPL spokesman.

Big blow, but probably warranted given how much Scottish football has declined this decade. Now it will be interesting to see what happens with the Old Firm, since they won't have guaranteed CL money every season anymore.

Unsurprising. Embarassing performances in Europe from them this year.

Just cranks up the pressure in Glasgow. Shit or bust from now on in.

More like shit or shittest, I'd laugh my fucking ass off if Aberdeen ended up winning it.

Never happen.

Either Celtic or Rangers get the chance to get some money in the bank. What price a war of attrition to decide who pays thir bills?

Just cranks up the pressure in Glasgow. Shit or bust from now on in.

More like shit or shittest, I'd laugh my fucking ass off if Aberdeen or someone ended up winning it.

Alloa are doing alright at the moment!!!  O0

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think I'll take the positive belief that it might actually bring the league back in order and open it up, with the view that Ranger/Celtic have think a little more conservative to get that CL spot. However they'll probably try to outspend each other getting 'better' players to get it.

I find it strange how it's been taken away considering both Celtic and Rangers have been in the Uefa cup final in the past 10 years. That's them both fucked now though, can't see any players wanting to join them, hopefully it will improve the league though. I think those rangers twats destroying manchester may have had a bearing on the decision.

I find it strange how it's been taken away considering both Celtic and Rangers have been in the Uefa cup final in the past 10 years. That's them both f***ed now though, can't see any players wanting to join them, hopefully it will improve the league though. I think those rangers twats destroying manchester may have had a bearing on the decision.

Nothing to do with that. Purely is based on numbers. UEFA uses a coefficient based on the performance of teams from that nation. Ukraine are an example of a league that has gained in the rankings. They're 7th now, right behind the five traditional powers and Russia.

Think I'll take the positive belief that it might actually bring the league back in order and open it up, with the view that Ranger/Celtic have think a little more conservative to get that CL spot. However they'll probably try to outspend each other getting 'better' players to get it.

Once one qualifies two seasons on the belt the other club is fucked until a benefactor pops up or the other club implodes.

Could be the start of a long slide into total obscurity for Scots football

as they have to spend more time qualifying for the money decent players won't be seen dead there and the they continue to spiral down hill