Homesickness

Interpolic

I'm beginning to feel incredibly homesick.  I'm only in London but I miss Newcastle a lot.  Getting pretty fed up with it down here tbh, can't be arsed with being civil with even one more of these sour-faced cunts.  I just miss the warmth of where I'm from, but anyway - homesickness...

Anyone else had this badly?  How do you cope with it?  Have you crumbled and went back, and does it just make things worse in the long run?

Soz for such a soppy-cunt thread.  As the title suggests I'm just after some wide opinions on homesickness really.

I definitely get that feeling this time of year, IP. It's bitterly cold and the wind is whipping and the world seems hard. I have sweet memories of my childhood (which really wasn't that great, tbh.) and sometimes I just think about how the people I know are growing, living, and dying and how I haven't seen several of them for some time. Usually the best thing for me is to call my family and talk about life or call one of my old friends and talk about football and girl problems.

I definitely get that feeling this time of year, IP. It's bitterly cold and the wind is whipping and the world seems hard. I have sweet memories of my childhood (which really wasn't that great, tbh.) and sometimes I just think about how the people I know are growing, living, and dying and how I haven't seen several of them for some time. Usually the best thing for me is to call my family and talk about life or call one of my old friends and talk about football and girl problems.

Tbh I do feel like I get Newcastle out of my system for a few months when I go visit.  I've been unemployed for almost 2 months and I'm not due back til Easter - might just book the Megabus back ASAP, but not next weekend cos it's my birthday and Kim's got something planned.  Maybe it's just cos I've not been busy with work, but I've lived down here 18 months and always miss Newcastle, I can't help it.  I've got some close friends from home in London, but I live in Kingston which is a bit of a trek for a night out.

I wasn't really wanting this to be an attention-seeking thing... I can bitch and moan in other threads.

I was more after people's views on what causes homesickness, does it end up being a bad move moving home, people's personal experiences, etc.

I wasn't really wanting this to be an attention-seeking thing... I can bitch and moan in other threads.

I was more after people's views on what causes homesickness, does it end up being a bad move moving home, people's personal experiences, etc.

come on interpollyjellymould, you know what causes homesickness...it's being away fronm loved ones and lack of familiarity.

as for wether it ends up being a bad move......everyones move is different.

Guest firetotheworks

I lived in Leeds for a year and got homesick after something like 4 or 5 months. I just made sure that I was up to speed on my work and came home something like one weekend a month, go out on a night out and meet up with mates, and just be with my family. I never saw it as giving in, more like a topping up kind of thing.

Homesickness is a total bastard like, especially this time of year, which is totally shit anyway. If you cant go home, then getting stuck into a series is decent for a bit, but you'll probably have to come home for a bit. London's not too bad. It's gonna be a total bastard when I'm in Japan though.

I lived in Leeds for a year and got homesick after something like 4 or 5 months. I just made sure that I was up to speed on my work and came home something like one weekend a month, go out on a night out and meet up with mates, and just be with my family. I never saw it as giving in, more like a topping up kind of thing.

Homesickness is a total b****** like, especially this time of year, which is totally s*** anyway. If you cant go home, then getting stuck into a series is decent for a bit, but you'll probably have to come home for a bit. London's not too bad. It's gonna be a total b****** when I'm in Japan though.

theres a theory that homesickness isn't so bad when you are very far away as you realise you can't get back so easy and so adjust to what you know is realistic. maybe we could try this on you as its too late to use you for the "don't give the baby carrots and we'll see if he pukes carrots when he's older" experiment.

My mate's currently working in Saudi.  He's on cracking money but I think being away from his lass and 2yr old is beginning to get to him.  His messages on Facebook started off all positive but now he's started telling us how shit it is over there.  The other day he says there was a bloke trying to sell his 9yr old daughter on the street.

He's from Boro though so that must have been bringing back memories of home for him.

Guest firetotheworks

One good thing about homesickness is that you appreciate Newcastle more. Before I moved away I thought I didn't like the city that much, and that I was done with it. Then I went to Leeds and realised that Newcastle pisses all over it. London and Brighton are the only places I'd rather be than Newcastle in terms of its surroundings.

I've never really suffered from homesickness when I've been away, I guess it's cause I'm not very close to my family (parents and siblings etc) so I'll happily live anywhere.

My wife on the other hand can't cope with being away from her mum and our area for more than a week or so. Really winds me up because I know there is no prospect of me moving away from here or travelling the world while I'm with her.

I guess it's just how your made emotionally. Some people can cope away for long periods and others can't.

Although I can totally agree with you about the people and this area. I can't stand it myself, London sucks arse big style. I much prefer being in Newcastle.

Guest toonlass

Feel for you Interpolic. Is there much chance of you getting work up here in your chosen field? I personally found that homesickness gets worse the longer you go and it was the best thing to do coming home, although I am gradually moving away from where I came back to again but at least I am only 20 minutes from my old folks now.

Feel for you Interpolic. Is there much chance of you getting work up here in your chosen field? I personally found that homesickness gets worse the longer you go and it was the best thing to do coming home, although I am gradually moving away from where I came back to again but at least I am only 20 minutes from my old folks now.

Cheers Blef, I actually feel much better today you know.  I think last night was just one of them things.  It boils down to the fact that I'm unemployed atm and I've none of my own mates down here apart from those that live in London (and I'm in Kingston, which is a pain in the arse to get back to at 3 o'clock in the morning).  I'm probs moving to proper London in July, which will improve matters.

I'll be OK tbh.  I don't exactly love it down here, but things will get better and I'll visit Newcastle in Easter.  As for whether there are career options up there - well there may be, but they're probably sparse at this stage plus I've got my girlfriend's employment options to consider as well.

As I say, thankfully last night was just me in a funny mood I think - thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. :thup:

I will take you out one night IP, you will NEVER want to go back (to Newcastle or your lass) after.

:lol:  I'm not sure I even know what this means.

It doesn't mean I will kill you.

Sounds good then - coincidentally that's one of my pre-requisites for going for a drink with someone. :thup: