MLS, NHL, NFL, and NBA is the way to go.

Stifler

I have now came up with the conclusion that the Premier League, and hopefully the Football League should go the way that the MLS etc go.

By this I mean that player are contracted to the Premier League/ Football League and are designated to each club, at the point of starting off all players would be given to their current clubs. This means that when one team wishes to buy another EPL playerthen they must contact the EPL who will contact the team who is with, they then can agree a settlement fee (because it will go through the EPL the fee's can have a maximum price) and the player is then designated to his new team. In the event of clubs being promted and relegated the contract will change from being with the EPL to the Football League and visa versa. For teams buying player abroad the team buying must give the EPL the money to buy him, he will then be contracted to the EPL but designated to his new team. This will allow wages to be controlled and transfer fees to be reasonable with the aim of making sure no clubs are in a position like Portsmouth etc are in. It will also mean that tapping up would be almost impossible.

That way like in America/Canada teams can get on with playing the game and starting to make a profit, it would also put extra financial security on teams and allow things to in my eyes run alot smoother.

Would have to be implemented in the entire footballing world if it was to work, otherwise English football would take a dive into obscurity and the best players would flee the league like it was the plague. This isn't an issue for the NHL, NFL and NBA, as they're really the only "proper" leagues in the world. You can see it in the MLS though, with the best Yank players going off to obscure places like Norway and Belgium.

Whilst it in theory seems great, it would never work. Communism seemed great, in theory.

Would have to be implemented in the entire footballing world if it was to work, otherwise English football would take a dive into obscurity and the best players would flee the league like it was the plague. This isn't an issue for the NHL, NFL and NBA, as they're really the only "proper" leagues in the world. You can see it in the MLS though, with the best Yank players going off to obscure places like Norway and Belgium.

Whilst it in theory seems great, it would never work. Communism seemed great, in theory.

Not really, I mean if wages are kept reasonable etc, which under being employed by the EPL etc they would be. At this moment in time I can see the start of money and player heading to Spain, I mean more matches are being shown on TV over there and across the world, alot of big names player are starting to move over there, and more clubs are being bought and sold there aswell. I mean as things stand the EPL is going to fall onto it's ass in anyway, soon Sky etc will be throwing more money towards Spain and everything thats happen here will repeat it's self over there and the EPL will start to tourn into something like Italy or even worse Scotlnad with clubs starting to fail due to the lack of money and player moving to Spain instead. If we got in early and implimented this we could then set ourselves up for when things fail in Spain and clubs will be in better positions. The way the MLS works without relegation and promotion, add ontop of the the Francise stuff is a main reason why it's not working, the wage structure is great though.

Starting to happen with the NHL too, the KHL is growing stronger and stronger with more money coming in every year. Give it five years and I think we'll see a real competitor to the NHL.

Guest jonlane86

If we're talking US Sports - then this is the way I would go:

All these rules would need to be run UEFA wide as the top clubs in the world are based in Europe, and it helps with fairness and equality across the top level of the sport (pretty much like the NFL).

Blackout rule - If the match has not sold out at the stadium then it cannot be shown on local television.  This encourages people to show up to the match rather than sitting in their armchair.

Local Talent Rule - This one doesn't exist in the US as they have a draft system working alongside the college but I think this is the best compromise.  A player has to play for their most local Football League club to where they were born.  If the club does not want to sign them they would need to sign a contract 'passing them up' and it would go to the next most local club.  The exclusivity would last until the age of 21, at which point other clubs could negotiate a fee to buy out the remaining 2 years of a contract.  However, a club could decide to sell the rights to the player at any point.  This encourages clubs to nurture local talent and stops Kakuta style dealings.  It also could help smaller FLC clubs who have excellent young talent locally and brings more 'equality' in.

Playoffs - Loved the suggestion of the Champions League playoffs.  Opens up competition for places for longer, especially when you have teams like Spurs, Man City, Aston Villa and Liverpool competing for fourth this year.  Just think how good those playoffs could be.

Salary Cap - This would be agreed by UEFA for clubs to abide to at different tiers (i.e. Serie A and PL teams would have the same salary cap, and Serie B and The Championship would have a lower matching Salary cap).  This stops wages getting stupid and encourages competitiveness.

Merchandise Pot - ALL League Merchandise profits would be added together and split equally between all the teams at the end of each season.  This would also apply for TV revenue.

I know nothing about the way MLS works, but what you describe is not the way things work in the NFL.

Not sure this idea will work, as someone else said, the danger is that the PL would be weaken considerably. The only way to get wages under control is through a salary cap, but that won't work if the PL imposed one on unilaterally, again this would just weaken the league. Imposing a Europe wide cap, would be incredibly complex and almost impossible.

Costs absolutely need to get under control, but while we still have teams like Real Madrid and Man City out there, there's very little that can be done, the only way I can see for football to get anywhere near the regulation that the NFL is able to impose, through salary caps and trade restrictions, is the set up of the European Super League.

If we're talking US Sports - then this is the way I would go:

All these rules would need to be run UEFA wide as the top clubs in the world are based in Europe, and it helps with fairness and equality across the top level of the sport (pretty much like the NFL).

Blackout rule - If the match has not sold out at the stadium then it cannot be shown on local television. This encourages people to show up to the match rather than sitting in their armchair.

Local Talent Rule - This one doesn't exist in the US as they have a draft system working alongside the college but I think this is the best compromise. A player has to play for their most local Football League club to where they were born. If the club does not want to sign them they would need to sign a contract 'passing them up' and it would go to the next most local club. The exclusivity would last until the age of 21, at which point other clubs could negotiate a fee to buy out the remaining 2 years of a contract. However, a club could decide to sell the rights to the player at any point. This encourages clubs to nurture local talent and stops Kakuta style dealings. It also could help smaller FLC clubs who have excellent young talent locally and brings more 'equality' in.

Playoffs - Loved the suggestion of the Champions League playoffs. Opens up competition for places for longer, especially when you have teams like Spurs, Man City, Aston Villa and Liverpool competing for fourth this year. Just think how good those playoffs could be.

Salary Cap - This would be agreed by UEFA for clubs to abide to at different tiers (i.e. Serie A and PL teams would have the same salary cap, and Serie B and The Championship would have a lower matching Salary cap). This stops wages getting stupid and encourages competitiveness.

Merchandise Pot - ALL League Merchandise profits would be added together and split equally between all the teams at the end of each season. This would also apply for TV revenue.

I agree with everything there, except the Merchadise pot, maybe a percentage should go to the League and be split, like 10% (of profit) but not all of it. The Blackout one is also intersting, but it would have to mean lower prices or more reasonable prices, also all similar type (both adult, children, and area) tickets should be priced the same as everyone else, so no more paying more for Man Utd then Everton etc. Also it would stop people from saying well it's too expensive I'll just watch the highlights instead, and encourage more sell out games. I think it should also mean that teams are shown the same level of times (in the UK atleast) then any other team (where possible).

Also, their should be a guy who comes around with the food like they do in America/Canada so the ques are a little smaller and during the game you don't have to miss anything. I know we did it a little while back, but everythime I've been since I never see the guy anymore, did they stop it?

Sorry, but the "American model" is not the way to go.

The only thing--  the only thing-- that I would take from US sports is the way that television money is distributed between the clubs in the NFL. That's it. If you take the Champions League money and distribute it equally between the clubs in the participating leagues, you've solved a big chunk of the problem right off the bat (to use an American phrase).

Guest jonlane86

Sorry, but the "American model" is not the way to go.

The only thing--  the only thing-- that I would take from US sports is the way that television money is distributed between the clubs in the NFL. That's it. If you take the Champions League money and distribute it equally between the clubs in the participating leagues, you've solved a big chunk of the problem right off the bat (to use an American phrase).

I'm not saying we adopt everything they do, but a lot of what they do does make a lot of sense, so why not learn from it?

I think central contracts for players would be a disaster.

Salary caps & max squad sizes implemented UEFA-wide would be brilliant though.

agreed. though i think a system where clubs can only borrow to a certain percentage of turnover would come in first (which is along the lines of what platini wants to bring in). nominated squads of limited size would be a fantastic start.

agreed. though i think a system where clubs can only borrow to a certain percentage of turnover would come in first (which is along the lines of what platini wants to bring in). nominated squads of limited size would be a fantastic start.

I don't really like the turnover idea though because there will still be a big financial disparity between clubs e.g. Man Utds turnover dwarfs Spurs so they are allowed more money to build a squad. Spurs meanwhile, dwarf Wigans turnover and will again have way more to spend on wages & transfers.

I don't really like the turnover idea though because there will still be a big financial disparity between clubs e.g. Man Utds turnover dwarfs Spurs so they are allowed more money to build a squad. Spurs meanwhile, dwarf Wigans turnover and will again have way more to spend on wages & transfers.

it would be a starting point as the big clubs have too much power right now. if a salary cap were brought in it wouldn't bother the majority of clubs as they'd never afford it anyhow.

Love the max squad size idea. In MLB, teams have 25 man and 40 man rosters. The 25 man roster is the active one in which players can play for the major league club on any day. Players 26-40 are sent to the minor leagues, but can be called up the major league club if needed. Players who spend time going up/down between the majors/minors eventually run out of "options" and have to clear waivers before they can be sent to the minors. When a player is on waivers, any team can claim him. If multiple teams put in a claim, the team with the weakest record at the time gets priority. The team that placed the player on waivers then has the option of reclaiming that player, but must put the player on the 25 man active roster. If they don't want him they can let him go via trade/cash/etc.

A somewhat similar set-up could definitely work and would prevent good players from rotting in the reserves.

Limiting outgoing loan deals is one of the rules I would like to see happen.

The OP mentions SLL. What a belter. Levante, Valencia both went tits up & Sir Alex sums up how Real Madrid operate "When you look back a few years to when they were £250m in debt, yes, they sold their training ground, but they had a new state-of-the-art training ground built for them. And on their old training ground, they built four apartment blocks and gave one of them to Real Madrid. That is some deal." Maybe North Tyneside Council could buy the Toons training pitch :pow:

An article came out last year about Spanish football & the mess it is in http://www.footbo.com/Blogs/4096297-Spanish_Primera_goes_bankrupt_half_it2c_least_3f

Why couldn't you implement a salary cap across Uefa clubs at different tiers?

It could be done, but incredibly complex, you have to factor in cost of living, strength of league and currency exchange fluxations. Everyone thinks Salary caps are pretty simple, just put a figure, say 25 million a year, but you have to also factor in bonuses and loyality fees. Injuries may also come into play. The NFL's player cap is incredibly complex and you would need a even more complex system to fairly implement throughout multiple leagues.

Why couldn't you implement a salary cap across Uefa clubs at different tiers?

It could be done, but incredibly complex, you have to factor in cost of living, strength of league and currency exchange fluxations. Everyone thinks Salary caps are pretty simple, just put a figure, say 25 million a year, but you have to also factor in bonuses and loyality fees. Injuries may also come into play. The NFL's player cap is incredibly complex and you would need a even more complex system to fairly implement throughout multiple leagues.

it would be a starting point as the big clubs have too much power right now. if a salary cap were brought in it wouldn't bother the majority of clubs as they'd never afford it anyhow.

Right. What UEFA can do right now is change the way television money is distributed. This is something they can do right now with going to court or challenging existing labour laws.

Do that and you've greatly minimized the disparity between the big four (or big two or three or whatever) and restored competition to the leagues. Moreover, by removing potential of big Champions League cash windfall,  UEFA will remove the financial incentive for paying over the odds for players. The market itself will control the player salaries. 

Guest cla1dwa
Blackout rule - If the match has not sold out at the stadium then it cannot be shown on local television.  This encourages people to show up to the match rather than sitting in their armchair.

this is very badly thought out. the whole point when it comes to 'armchair fans' is that they're exactly the sort of people who don't care if they see the match or not. they'll watch in their living room, but they're not going to bother going to the match if the game is on or not. and nowadays, with internet streaming, foreign channels and the like, it'd be impossible to prevent people watching regardless what you did with local tv. also, it's not a problem in reality. we sold more tickets for a game that took place on an early sunday afternoon for a match on bbc1 than any other this season.

A player has to play for their most local Football League club to where they were born.  If the club does not want to sign them they would need to sign a contract 'passing them up' and it would go to the next most local club.  The exclusivity would last until the age of 21, at which point other clubs could negotiate a fee to buy out the remaining 2 years of a contract.  However, a club could decide to sell the rights to the player at any point.  This encourages clubs to nurture local talent and stops Kakuta style dealings.  It also could help smaller FLC clubs who have excellent young talent locally and brings more 'equality' in.

this wouldn't work at all. i mean, by the age of 21, most people are either graduating from university or have been in work for some time. they have the choice of which city they'd like to live in and so on, whilst in your example, if you're a footballer who happens to be born in carlisle, you're stuck there, restricting your earnings and potential future salary. and how does it get decided? it's easy if you're born and live in newcastle, but what about places like gateshead? if they made the league they'd suddenly have a huge influx of players that they simply couldn't use. and in london, are you getting the tape measure out to see how close your home is to the nearest ground? how does this work in practice?