nufc striker partnerships and the highlights

Guest kinaldo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest kinaldo

In this depressing goal drought I thought it would be fun to look back at some of our great and not so great strike pairings.

After voting, post your reasons and favourite games or moments of your chosen strikeforce.

Cole and Beardsley -  what did they get, over 60 goals in 94/95? Incredible. Favourite game would probably be the 5-1 against Villa or Arsenal at Highbury. I'd really love to see a compilation of these two made.

Ferdinand and Beardsley/Asprilla - it was mostly Sir Les, but the 3-0 win against West Ham was one of the great KK performances with Tino and Les on fire that night.  Too bad they couldn't finish against Schmeichel a few days earlier.

Shearer and Ferdinand - scored 50 in their one season together and proved a lot of people wrong who thought they wouldn't work together. The 4-3 win against Villa, the 5-0 against Man Utd and the 7-1 against Spurs will never be forgotten.

Barnes and Rush - wtf was Dalglish thinking!? To be fair, Barnes at least did a great job up front. The 2-1 win at home to Southampton where he scored two sublime headers courtesy of Gillespie was probably the highlight.

Shearer and Ferguson - a shame they never really got going with one or the other usually being injured. I really think they could have been awesome together - the 3-0 home win against Man Utd and 2-2 at home to Pool showed just how devastating they could be. Ferguson was a real big match player and the best header of a ball I've ever seen. Also very good and underrated on the deck. Practically unplayable on his day. He could chew Rio Ferdinand up and then spit him out if he wanted to.

Shearer and Bellamy - best moment was when they destroyed Man Utd and in the process made a fool of Fergie's replacement for Stam, Laurent Blanc, in our 4-3 win. Also the 3-1 at White Hart Lane.

Shearer and Kluivert - their goal record together was probably better than the performances. I always thought Kluivert was the more dangerous of the 2 by then.

Kluivert and Bellamy - sooooo much potential, but idiot Souness preferred Ameobi to Kluivert who had more talent in his little piggy toe than Ameobi ever will. He still somehow scored more goals that season in his limited opportunities than Ameobi ever will manage. Highlights were the win at Crystal Palace where Bells set up that amazing backheel flick goal from PK, and the 1-1 at home to Everton which showed so much promise.

Shearer and Ameobi - God I hated this pairing, but they did take Chelsea apart in one of Sir Bobby's most memorable games in charge. Both of them scored stunning goals. If Woodgate hadn't gotten injured in that match I think we would have won the Uefa Cup.

Ameobi and Sibierski... no comment.

Guest kinaldo

Oops forgot about Shearer and Owen. I'd almost forgotten Owen still played for us! I suppose their goal record together was pretty decent and they starred in 3-0 away wins at Blackburn and West Brom.

Shearer and Bellamy for me. In Europe they had 3-2 vs Feyenoord, 2-2 at San Siro and so on, all down to their great partnership. Created so much space for eachother in the Premiership. I remember when they started to work well against Bolton(a) in 01/02 and then it just continued.

all are fantastic partnerships (ameobi and sibreski,hell no!) but i prefered last seasons owen-shearer partnership,even though it was only for (5 or 6 games?) but they still managed to show some fantastic stuff.some good ones are most of the shearer ones,and the Kluivert and Bellamy,also cole-berdsley

Btw,barnes was a striker?!

have sibeirski and ameobi even played together?

where were you on sat?

thought the game was a normal game (10 AM kick off for me), so when i woke up, i had already missed it.

Guest Craig1892

Beardsley & Cole for me as it was so unexpected that they'd click the way they did. Although God & Sir Les were truelly fucking awesome.

Pre-Prem - you couln't beat 1988, Robertson & Mirandinha, both about 5' 6" and dopey Dave Beasant lumping long high balls up to them. Fucking class they were............

Beardsley & Cole for me as it was so unexpected that they'd click the way they did. Although God & Sir Les were truelly ****ing awesome.

Pre-Prem - you couln't beat 1988, Robertson & Mirandinha, both about 5' 6" and dopey Dave Beasant lumping long high balls up to them. ****ing class they were............

17 years on, and it's Given/Harper lumping long balls up to Martins & Rossi.

Guest eyeball_tickler

who else will own up to voting for Ameobi and Sibierski? im 1 of the 4.

twas like poetry in motion......

Why?

ive never seen such a brilliant example of how far we've fallen till saturday. i hope this is rock bottom and it can only be upwards from here