Changing names

Stifler

Has anyone ever doen it?, apart from the usual marriage and divorce thing.

I mean plenty of celebrities change their names, and people change their names to become more like a celebrity they like or become away from a celebrity, and some people just don't like their name. We all know of the case of the bookshop owner from Portsmouth who's middle name is now "Portsmouth Footbal Club", fuck imgine if the postman got the clubs bill sent to him instead?

Anyway one of my friends wants to change his surname, because in his words "His dad is a useless tosser and a waste of space" so he's going to change his surname to his mams. Thats going to provide some problems since me and the rest of his mates call him by his surname, and the other month I forgot what his first name was and had to ask him.

So anyone on here changed their name or know someone who has apart from the whole marriage thing?

Guest lankybellwipe

a colleague at work who loved to go in msn chatrooms under the username whiteknight, actually changed his surname to knight!

Which i found rather, quite, and alarmingly saaaaaad

Someone I used to work with changed her name when she quit and moved to Costa Rica to start a new life. Her father is the boss of the whole company and has a rather, err, distinctive surname, so she reverted to her mother's maiden name as they were scared of kidnapping / ransom risks. Very strange. Although the new surname is far cooler (I think this also played a part)

Guest toonlass

Anyone can change their name at any time. You can be called whatever you want. If you want to do it legally you can go to a solicitor and get a legal paper drawn up showing that from that point in time you want to be known as whatever name you want, or you can get it changed by deed poll.

It's pretty easy to do. We changed my daughter's surname from the one on her birth certificate (my wife's maiden name) to my surname when my wife and I got married. Did it through a website that organises it all for you. Didn't cost a lot and was pretty straightforward.

Just do a google search for Deed Poll or Changing Names.

Anyone can change their name at any time. You can be called whatever you want. If you want to do it legally you can go to a solicitor and get a legal paper drawn up showing that from that point in time you want to be known as whatever name you want, or you can get it changed by deed poll.

Aye it is fairly easy, and fairly cheap aswell, it's just everything else that is a pain in the backside and costly, like changing your name on your drving licence, changing your name on your passport, and informing everone else like your bank etc, I should imgine the hospital and your doctors would get a little confused aswell.

you don't HAVE to do anything - just use the new name

if you want to change things like your driving licence then I think you can just ask them (but it'll cost)

the whole deed poll routine is a pension fund for solicitors............

Guest palnese

My lass know a guy that married this lass called Jane. His name is Daniel and just before the wedding he changed his name to Daniel Tarzan.

Tarzan and Jane :doh:

if you want to change things like your driving licence then I think you can just ask them (but it'll cost)

Thats not 100% true, most authorities will just accept a letter along with your birth certificate to understand that you have changed you name, however for things like passports you need a deed poll or statuary notice, the same applies when you are showing people your grades etc that you got before you changed your name becase grades and qualifications cannot have a name change, so a deed poll or statuary notice must be show along with these, everything else should be able to just have a letter written to inform them about your name change.

Thats not 100% true, most authorities will just accept a letter along with your birth certificate to understand that you have changed you name, however for things like passports you need a deed poll or statuary notice, the same applies when you are showing people your grades etc that you got before you changed your name becase grades and qualifications cannot have a name change, so a deed poll or statuary notice must be show along with these, everything else should be able to just have a letter written to inform them about your name change.

with my grades NOT showing them is a big step forward TBH............

with my grades NOT showing them is a big step forward TBH............

Your one step closer to changing your name.

It's pretty easy to do. We changed my daughter's surname from the one on her birth certificate (my wife's maiden name) to my surname when my wife and I got married. Did it through a website that organises it all for you. Didn't cost a lot and was pretty straightforward.

Man you were ripped off! You can re-register your kids when you get married for nothing, in fact you're legally obliged to (but no-one ever gets done for it), the only thing you'd have to shell out for is a new birth certificate. How did they do it, did you have to go to a register office, or what?

Man you were ripped off! You can re-register your kids when you get married for nothing, in fact you're legally obliged to (but no-one ever gets done for it), the only thing you'd have to shell out for is a new birth certificate. How did they do it, did you have to go to a register office, or what?

You can't change the name on your birth certificate.

In certain circumstances you can, your biological parents getting married is one because at that point the child should be "legitimised" by re-registering the birth entry to show that they're now married, doing this gives the parents the opportunity to change the child's surname (usually to one of theirs or a combination ie double-barrelled).

In certain circumstances you can, your biological parents getting married is one because at that point the child should be "legitimised" by re-registering the birth entry to show that they're now married, doing this gives the parents the opportunity to change the child's surname (usually to one of theirs or a combination ie double-barrelled).

You seem quite clued up on this stuff indi.  If I ever do my family tree, I'll be sure to give you a shout.  :fishing:

You seem quite clued up on this stuff indi.  If I ever do my family tree, I'll be sure to give you a shout.  :fishing:

Thats how he's so clued up on it, so when you do your family tree you won't be going to him.

You seem quite clued up on this stuff indi. If I ever do my family tree, I'll be sure to give you a shout. :fishing:

Family-historians!! :angry:

Thats how he's so clued up on it, so when you do your family tree you won't be going to him.

You might want to consider re-registering your kids anyway because the problem with a deed poll is that if you lose it unless you've registered it (which is pretty expensive) then you have to get another one done and that obviously costs a decent amount of money compared to £7 for a new birth certificate.