Who do you want to finish 4th in the Premier League?

bealios

Guest kingdawson

Who are you going to play on the right with Bentley and Lennon out?

With no Lennon, Bentley, huddlestone and Jenas right now, we're looking at

Kranjcar-------Modric------Palacios----------Bale

Guest firetotheworks

That's still fucking mint. Kranjcar  :smitten:

Guest ItalianMagpie

Man City I suppose.

I don't like them so much (and Mancini even less) but I think they're the only ones who could say something in this competition. In spite of a bunch of good/excellent players Spurs would probably be knocked out in the group stage if not in the preliminary round :rolleyes: .

Anyway, anyone but Liverpool, I'm bored to death with the same 4 clubs every year.

That's still f***ing mint. Kranjcar  :smitten:

It's a nice idea, but when Palacios gets suspended there is literally nobody to make any tackles in midfield. You're looking at Kaboul or Corluka as defensive midfielders  :undecided:

Not surprised that the big 4 rejected this idea..........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8549867.stm

Premier League rejects fourth-place play-offs idea

The Premier League has revealed it will not pursue the idea of a play-off for fourth place and the final Champions League spot.

At the Premier League's board meeting on Thursday, chairmen decided against looking into the proposal any further at this stage.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were reportedly quick to voice their opposition.

However, other clubs were keen on the idea in principle.

Surprised that at least 3 other clubs voted against it as well - probably more on the basis that if it was close then they would have considered further discussions, but seems like there was no appetite for it.

Perhaps the massive self interest evident in the game today meant the bottom clubs who realistically have no chance of making it didn't want to become further adrift of their own potential rivals and voted against it.

Play-offs are always a stupid idea in a league. They make a mockery of the league, if the 4th to 7th places amount to the same thing.

I don't think it would make much difference anyway: until this season, the usual CL qualifiers had rarely lost a home-away tie, or even a one-off final, which is why they were usually in the CL anyway.

On top of that, bringing it up this season when 4th place is up for grabs, and the league seems more competitive as a whole, was perversely bad timing. It was probably the three clubs we need to gain on that also voted against...

Messing around with the league isn't the way to increase competition. If the FA wants to do that, they should distribute the money more evenly, and/or introduce reasonable financial constraints.

Who would have thought you would have that view with your avatar!

Seriously though, you could argue that the league as it is, is equally a mockery, as essentially 2nd to 4th place mean the same thing. I'm sure Villa's willingness to finish 4th instead of 7th with a play off system would be just as strong as Liverpool's incentive to finish 3rd instead of 4th in the current system.

You could also incentivise the play offs by giving the 4th and 5th placed teams the away tie first for instance.

I accept that the only way this whole thing will work though is if you cut the league down to 18 team. There is no way you're going to get 16 clubs voting for play offs AND a reduction in the league numbers, too much self interest.

You could make it 4-5-6 places and give the 4th placed team a bye to the "final".

I think it might have been Rafa that said this - currently, 38 games are played to decide the last CL place, why change it and decide to play a CL play off final ?

I pretty much agree with him.

Be fools to play Bale on the wing. Should stick one of the many kids you have hoarded out there.

Guest kingdawson

Be fools to play Bale on the wing. Should stick one of the many kids you have hoarded out there.

Why?

Why?

Always think Bale looks very one dimensional when he starts on the LW. Far,far better coming from deep at pace, gives him more space etc.

Guest kingdawson

Why?

Always think Bale looks very one dimensional when he starts on the LW. Far,far better coming from deep at pace, gives him more space etc.

His was exceptional playing lm in his first season with us. Both Ekotto and Bale have been in great form this season so it's hard leaving one out. With the injuries i don't think we have any other choice playing Bale lm.

I will say that quite a few people on the Spurs forum agree with you though.

Why?

His was exceptional playing lm in his first season with us. Both Ekotto and Bale have been in great form this season so it's hard leaving one out. With the injuries i don't think we have any other choice playing Bale lm.

I will say that quite a few people on the Spurs forum agree with you though.

Basing it on recent performances more than anything. Plus even though you lot tend to be the exception I'm a strong believer of keeping a steady back 4.