6 Music Closure

kingkerouac

Just thought I'd say as long as the BBC (i.e. us) are paying for shit like Wipeout, My Family and Eastenders then why drop probably the best music radio station ever?

Also should the BBC DG be bending over and spreading his arsecheeks for the likes of the Hate Mail, The Scum and the Fucking Tories to fill his hole?

Short answer. No.

Just thought I'd say as long as the BBC (i.e. us) are paying for shit like Wipeout, My Family and Eastenders then why drop probably the best music radio station ever?

Also should the BBC DG be bending over and spreading his arsecheeks for the likes of the Hate Mail, The Scum and the Fucking Tories to fill his hole?

Short answer. No.

I'm sure you were on 5Live this morning, about 9.54am

Who listens to radio in this day and age?

That said, as a licence fee payer, I have to say I'm non-plussed by this decision. I'd sooner axe some of the overpaid TV "talent" and senior executives at BBC headquarters.

Guest Heneage

Does the audience justify the cost? I'd imagine they'd have looked at who was easiest to cut/bringing in the lowest figures.

Reading between the lines of the report on the BBC news website, it looks like Radio 2's music/airplay policy will be changed a bit to accommodate otherwise "lost" 6Music listeners.

Reading between the lines of the report on the BBC news website, it looks like Radio 2's music/airplay policy will be changed a bit to accommodate otherwise "lost" 6Music listeners.

a bit?  It would need obliterating....

6 music A list

Delphic

Gorillaz

Groove Armada

Jimi Hendrix

Jonsi

Mumford & Sons

The Strange Boys

Tunng

Vampire Weekend

Yeasayer

:coolsmiley:

and Radio 2

Amy MacDonald

Beverley Knight (feat. Chaka Khan)

Goldfrapp

Leona Lewis

Mary J Blige

Michael Bublé

Nerina Pallot

Paloma Faith

Robbie Williams

Rod Stewart

:kasper:

Guest Heneage

Adam and Joe with the podcast rddp, bllp, prrp, drrrp, burp.

:weep:

I listened to that and found it to be utter shite.

I'm more concerned about their proposals for local radio, tbh.

Happy Face: yeah, point taken. :lol: but then again if they can replace Wogan with Chris Evans, anything's possible?

Loving some of the dailymail reader's comments on the Asian Network closing :tickedoff::

Asian network, not surprised what a waste of money, perhaps an Anglo Saxon network or would that be deemed non pc!?

- Mike S, Exeter, S. Devon, 2/3/2010 11:11

Do you really think the Beeb will be allowed to close down the Asian network? It will soon be changed to Radio 4 instead...

- Hammy, Tooting, UK, 2/3/2010 11:31

Anglo Saxon network! :doh:

I enjoyed it occasionally, but i think there's going to be a lot more cutbacks to be concerned about in the next year or two that make this look rather non news worthy.

For the record, the DG of the BBC is a dickhead who has doubled his own salary since taking charge and alienated and fucked over a large number of decent, relatively high up 'operational' staff at the BBC. A lot of those from behind the cameras have left and gone elsewhere rather than work for him.

Thing is, the BBC need to cut themselves so they don't get cut by government. The tide is gradually turning against the beeb and the effect they have on the commercial market. In bad economic times this is obviously exaggerated.

In DAB radio it's pretty much only the BBC that can make the platform work, it's not really viable for commercial stations.

They need to  get rid of some of the stuf on bbc 3 for example, Coming of age, Grown ups, two pints of lager and a packet of crisps (ALL WROTE BY THE SAME PERSON SO THEY NEED TO GET RD OF HER AS WELL ). They also show shit films such as Freaky Friday. as for asan radio beng scrapped m not too bothered because  i don't listen to radio anyway.

They need to  get rid of some of the stuf on bbc 3 for example, Coming of age, Grown ups, two pints of lager and a packet of crisps (ALL WROTE BY THE SAME PERSON SO THEY NEED TO GET RD OF HER AS WELL ). They also show s*** films such as Freaky Friday. as for asan radio beng scrapped m not too bothered because  i don't listen to radio anyway.

i probably listen to more radio than watch TV.

6Music & The Asian Network are arguably two of the stations that come closest to fulfilling the BBC's core purpose - providing a platform for music that wouldn't get airplay on more commercial stations.  Most of what's done by Radio One & Radio Two is already done by commercial stations but the same cannot be said for 6Music.

If 6Music was broadcast on FM instead of being digital only I'm certain it would be one of the most popular stations in the UK, it's the lack of DAB take up that's caused the station more damage than anything else.

There's a BBC Strategy Review survey Here where you can give the BBC some feedback on this and there's a campaign to save 6Music here.

6Music & The Asian Network are arguably two of the stations that come closest to fulfilling the BBC's core purpose - providing a platform for music that wouldn't get airplay on more commercial stations.  Most of what's done by Radio One & Radio Two is already done by commercial stations but the same cannot be said for 6Music.

If 6Music was broadcast on FM instead of being digital only I'm certain it would be one of the most popular stations in the UK, it's the lack of DAB take up that's caused the station more damage than anything else.

There's a BBC Strategy Review survey Here where you can give the BBC some feedback on this and there's a campaign to save 6Music here.

This.