Memories of Old Wembley

Guest K9

I'm doing a Magazine for a University looking back on the decade.  One of my focuses is the closing of the old wembley in 2000.  As part of this piece I'm hoping to do a 'Memories of Old Wembley' section asking people what they think were the most memborable occasions there and I was hoping people on here could help out potentially as part of the magazine.  It would just need a few sentences of reflection with your name, age and general location.

e.g

I remember Germany coming and winning in the final ever game there.  Keegan was manager and he left to terrible abuse from the crowd and resigned straight after the game.  It was a horrible send off for such fantastic stadium.

Jamie Allen, 20, Newcastle.

hope people can help!

you don't have to have been there, just what immediately springs to your mind, in terms of sporting events, when you think back on the stadium.

anticipating alot of newcastle related posts but hoping for replies regarding a variety of clubs and games etc.

Guest Geordiesned

I once saw Newcastle win there against Liverpool in the Mercentile Credit Classic! Shame we reverted to form in the next game and lost to 4th division Tranmere. Sned, Whitley Bay, aged 35 and a quarter.

got to admit the first time i went to wembley, walking up wembley way wasn't as exciting as it looked on the tele and inside the ground i was thinking "is this it ?" and was completely underwhelmed.

got to admit the first time i went to wembley, walking up wembley way wasn't as exciting as it looked on the tele and inside the ground i was thinking "is this it ?" and was completely underwhelmed.

This but at least we got humped 4-0 by Man United.

Shite wooden seats or them pews where there was no room for your legs despite being 13/14 the two times i sat there.

Waiting for an hour to get the tube post match.

Having an NUFC record of:

W D L GF GA

0 0 4 1   10

Fucking hated the place.

Did see Paul Scholes score a hattrick there though for England.

Millenium Stadium was far better and wouldn't shock me if its better than the new Wembley where its 5grand for pie.

Des Hamilton,24,NE3.

only England match was 0-1 loss for SBRs side to Denmark '83. knocked us out of the European championships.

wagged school with a few mates got hauled up in Assembley in front of whole school by deputy head when he found out.  earned us some good kudos

However, I have never seen a goal celebrated as much as Rob Lee's was that day v. Chelsea.

I was right at the back, never heard noise like it. The celebrations were so short-lived :(

However, I have never seen a goal celebrated as much as Rob Lee's was that day v. Chelsea.

I was right at the back, never heard noise like it. The celebrations were so short-lived :(

Aye i was down the front, didn't have a clue who scored until got back to hotel in central London. Didn't see the bloke next to me for about 20mins after, got carried 10 rows forward or something. Fella infront of me was so mortal he was a kip whole 2nd half.

The place was an absolute shithole. The new stadium is excellent, despite the area still being a shithole.

This is true,I have seen rats and mice scurrying around outside,and there is always a stench around the place.I like the idea of escalators to take you to your required level,though.

However,the old Wembley used to have a magic about it,which only faded after the non standing laws came into operation.

It was a wreck. Stood in the Liverpool end when Rush scored first & then lost to Arsenal with 2 Charlie Nicholas goals in the LCF. First time Lpool had lost a game where Rush had scored. I had a Millwall supporter screamin "Millwall" in my ear all game & the scousers couldn't care less that they'd lost or that a Millwall supporter was singing his own songs.

Was also there when Norwich beat the mackems in the Milk (league) Cup Final. OG and Clive Walker missed a pen - all the Mackems where I was thought he'd scored as the ball went passed the keeper and then sat down again as the ball hit the advertising boards - brilliant.

Guest BooBoo

Had nothing going for it other than nostalgia. Newcastle suffered every time i went there and the only England game i saw at the place was a dull 0-0 v Norway.

Should have been demolished ten years before it was.

You're not Jamie Allen who used to play for Chapel House, are you? Ages ago.

My memories aren't good.  I went 5 times (4 toon games and Scotland-England, i'm a scot fan).  Lost 5/5, conceded 12, scored 1. 

I remember piss all around the stairs.  Seats that didn't 'flip'.  Too far away from the pitch.  Wembley way was cool though.  Sat there afer the 98 final and people were just giving me their flags and stuff (I was 8).  Was most gutted after Chelsea semi-final out of toon games.  We never had a chance in the others, but we shouldve beaten Chelsea and I fancied Villa in the final (instead of double winning Arsenal and treble winning ManU).  At Scotland-England I cried when Mcallister missed and Gazza scored.

Old Wembley is a sacred place for Barcelona fans, hosting our first EC win after many many tries. I was too young to have gone to the final but was one of the first things I went to when I first went to London in 1996 (four years after the fact). Walked the steps, observed the goals, imagined where Koeman stood when he took that FK...

When it was demolished, FC Barcelona bought both goals, which are part of our museum (although they weren't in display last time I was there).

The old Wembley was a horrid, piss stinking old dump of a place.

I was at the new Wembley on Sunday. It is a horrible, piss stinking new dump of a place. I've never been in a stadium with so little atmosphere.

I was quite staggered how much the corporate tier kills off any atmosphere.

Anyway, my Wembley experiences are

1975, 1977, 1994, 1996, 2010 LC Finals

1981 Charity Shield

2000 FA Cup final

1990 Div 2 play off final (don't ask).

Guest neesy111

Old Wembley is a sacred place for Barcelona fans, hosting our first EC win after many many tries. I was too young to have gone to the final but was one of the first things I went to when I first went to London in 1996 (four years after the fact). Walked the steps, observed the goals, imagined where Koeman stood when he took that FK...

When it was demolished, FC Barcelona bought both goals, which are part of our museum (although they weren't in display last time I was there).

i was in the museum in september, don't recall having the goals in their