Working abroad

Slim

Does anyone have any experience in getting a work visa for New Zeland, OZ or USA?  I have enough points to get the visas but the USA seems like a massive expensive risk.

Has anyone managed to get a job before they moved over there?  or am i better moving then looking

Guest GAMMELL

I went to Oz for a year in 08, dont go, fucking shithole full of Irish culchie wankers.

Hope this helps  :thup:

I have no experience to add to this, and zero facts of any note, but I've always wanted to live in America. Not New York or LA or some other massive city, just a small town somewhere where not a lot happens and it's very community focused. I've just started an Open University Degree with a view to teaching when I've eventually finished, with the long term goal of teaching in America at some stage. My mate's parents moved to Florida 4 years ago and they love it.

I don't really fancy Oz, maybe New Zealand would be cool but certainly not Australia, too many exotic ways to die with all them spiders, snakes and other assorted beasties.

Dunno what type of work you're looking for but Oz and NZ have programs where they fast track people with skills that they are lacking - tradies,engineers,etc. Pay in NZ will be comparatively less than what you'd get here though although the NZ$ is quite strong at the moment.

Dunno what type of work you're looking for but Oz and NZ have programs where they fast track people with skills that they are lacking - tradies,engineers,etc. Pay in NZ will be comparatively less than what you'd get here though although the NZ$ is quite strong at the moment.

Im doing IT.  Seem i get 60 points for that.

I worked in USA for 9 months last year.

VISA is a scary experience lol but it worked out well in the end.

Whats the deal with that?  Seem you have to pay to enter a lottery  and even then you have %30 chance of getting the visa but you still pay if you dont get it

Does anyone have any experience in getting a work visa for New Zeland, OZ or USA?  I have enough points to get the visas but the USA seems like a massive expensive risk.

Has anyone managed to get a job before they moved over there?  or am i better moving then looking

ditto, thinking of something similar once i get experience etc

I went to Oz for a year in 08, dont go, f***ing shithole full of Irish culchie wankers.

Really.  I was hoping of staying away from the the places everyone seems to go.

I went to Oz for a year in 08, dont go, f***ing shithole full of Irish culchie wankers.

Really.  I was hoping of staying away from the the places everyone seems to go.

Surely it depends on the work. If you're beetroot picking or whatever, then, aye...

Whats the deal with that?  Seem you have to pay to enter a lottery  and even then you have %30 chance of getting the visa but you still pay if you dont get it

Pretty sure Brits aren't eligble to enter the lottery.

Your best bet is finding a job over there first and getting employer to sort Visa, or getting a job with an American firm in Europe then transferring over to the States.

So from experience is it better to go on a tourist visa and try to get a job face to face?

Your best bet is finding a job over there first and getting employer to sort Visa, or getting a job with an American firm in Europe then transferring over to the States.

So from experience is it better to go on a tourist visa and try to get a job face to face?

The US Embassy in Norway says the best way to get round to getting a work visa is going over there for job interviews on a tourist visa and let any potential employers fix it for you.

aye and there's not a lot to do so a NZ$ goes a long way

Seriously if you want temporary , low paid, agricultural work you can get it in any of the countries

if you want a serious decent job the only way is to fix it up from here and get them to handle the Immigration hassles - which get worse every year

It's not just the loons on this board who think foreigners shouldn't be allowed into THEIR country as they are taking all the jobs

Yeah no lottery for us Brits unfortunately. You need to find yourself an employer who wants you.

Brits can get Working Holiday Visas for OZ and NZ quite easily. Go over on that, find some work to tie you over and then transfer to a proper work visa.

Definitely try working abroad mate, a great experience and you can watch as much football (if not more) than you can in the UK if need be. I currently work abroad and haven`t really looked back.

Yeah no lottery for us Brits unfortunately. You need to find yourself an employer who wants you.

Definitely try working abroad mate, a great experience and you can watch as much football (if not more) than you can in the UK if need be. I currently work abroad and haven`t really looked back.

Definitely agree  O0