Some good news at last - Owen

Dave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6153666.stm

Confidence boost for striker Owen

Newcastle striker Michael Owen will be back to his best according to the surgeon in the United States that operated on his knee.

Owen, 26, has not played since he damaged his anterior cruciate ligament during England's World Cup game against Sweden on 20 June.

"I know he will be back to the top," Dr Richard Steadman told The Sun.

"I told Michael if his career were to end it would not be because of his knee problems. I was very honest with him."

The England striker had to visit Dr Steadman's Colorado clinic on two separate occasions - once in July to have cartilage surgery, before returning in September for the cruciate ligament operation.

The American added: "I knew there had to be two operations. That way Michael was less likely to have to return here. I made the decision for him.

"The operations could have been carried out at the same time but I decided it would be best to split them into two."

Owen, who spent the second half of last season also on the sidelines after breaking a bone in his foot at the end of December, is expected to return in mid-April.

"I can do my part but then it is all down to the individual and how they react," said Steadman.

"They cannot rush back. If they try to rush that can result in a relapse and damage the knee."

Let's hope we can keep him at the club when he returns.

Do you think that his stock will have fallen so much due to the injuries that he is now more unlikely to move on or do you think that he will be more desperate to make something of the last 5 or whatever years of his career?

I think he will have to stay another season to get himself back on form and will do as long as we stay up.

Guest Village Idiot

Honestly, he owes it to you. If he poofs of Newcastle when he's fit, after two years of being on paid sick leave, he'll lose all my respect. What a tosser if he left.

He wanted to leave as soon as he was fit again on FM07, the little bastard.  :wullie:

LOL i know...still got 18 mill for him which wasn't bad :p

Then as soon as he left, chelsea were after martins and i had a whole season of obafemi "unsettled"...he's over that now tho :p

Back on owen, he may have some kind of relegation clause in his contract so we'll see...But he does us owe ffs...he really does...

Guest africanspurs

why would you guys think your going down?? relax..the saeson is only just ofer 1/4 underway. top half by the end of the season IMO

just need to keep your results tight and patch up some positions in january

where DO you guys get your money from anyway?? seems to be endless supply

why would you guys think your going down?? relax..the saeson is only just ofer 1/4 underway. top half by the end of the season IMO

We're idiots and keep giving it to the club.

We're idiots and keep giving it to the club.

:lol: sounds about right