Joyrider shouts 'get in' as judge tells him he won't be jailed.

Colocho

:lol: His friends go down, but he walks. That's some wild shit.

Nah, they all got suspended sentences. How did the judge come to the conclusions that "having a suspended prison sentence hanging over him would be greater punishment than locking him up"??? Is he senile?

Should have banned him from driving for a lot longer than 3 years, too.

The police officers and perhaps the force (re the dog) should use the civil system and bankrupt the fucker.

Yeah, I'm sure he's minted. Whatever you made him pay, he'd do it at a pound a week.

Nah, they all got suspended sentences. How did the judge come to the conclusions that "having a suspended prison sentence hanging over him would be greater punishment than locking him up"??? Is he senile?

They didn't all get suspended sentences, one was released from court because of the time he'd spent in custody while on remand.  Lawson was probably released because with a guilty plea and time spent on remand, his sentence would have been ridiculously short anyway.  You might be surprised how tied judges' hands are when it comes to sentencing.

If the maximum sentence was two years (just one of which will be custody) and they'd been on remand since the middle of November, they'd have all been out in eight months max (which they wouldn't have got anyway because of guilty pleas).  A suspended sentence means that when (possibly if depending on how cynical you are) they breach, they can do the whole 12 months.

I must confess, that when right over my head.

The police officers and perhaps the force (re the dog) should use the civil system and bankrupt the fucker.

Yeah, I'm sure he's minted. Whatever you made him pay, he'd do it at a pound a week.

:lol:

True, dat. True.

Guest toonlass

The Daily Mail sensationalising a story, well I never!

The problem a lot of people have is with sentencing. Personally I think sentences should not run concurrantly, but consecutively and that sentences should be longer, especially for things like killing someone with a motor vehicle and drink driving.

Guest toonlass

The problem a lot of people have is with sentencing. Personally I think sentences should not run concurrantly, but consecutively and that sentences should be longer, especially for things like killing someone with a motor vehicle and drink driving.

They do run consecutively, quite often.  It's just that when you hear about a 21 month sentence, it will often consist of (for example) an 18 month for one offence plus a 3 month consecutive for a lesser one on the same case.  The media usually report it as total sentence length and only name the index offence.  The only thing that drives me mad is that when people are in prison, if they have any court fines they ask them to be taken into account and magistrates almost always make them concurrent to the sentence being served.. effectively, the fines are written off.

OK, thanks. Maybe I just want to see longer sentences then.

Aye, it's not too easy to follow (unless you run a custody office in a prison, which I do).  Basically in most cases,

[...]

Thanks for that excellent explanation O0 I could have read Wikipedia for days and not learnt as much. It all makes a lot more sense now.

They do run consecutively, quite often.  It's just that when you hear about a 21 month sentence, it will often consist of (for example) an 18 month for one offence plus a 3 month consecutive for a lesser one on the same case.  The media usually report it as total sentence length and only name the index offence.  The only thing that drives me mad is that when people are in prison, if they have any court fines they ask them to be taken into account and magistrates almost always make them concurrent to the sentence being served.. effectively, the fines are written off.

OK, thanks. Maybe I just want to see longer sentences then.

Ok.