Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Newcastle are also exploring investment in two giant screens at St James’ which could show replays and carry adverts. Installation of the screens this summer will also give the city’s bid to be a host city in the World Cup 2018 a boost, meeting FIFA’s criteria.

Regardless of negative opinions of this in the past, I'd definitely welcome it :thup:

Newcastle are also exploring investment in two giant screens at St James’ which could show replays and carry adverts. Installation of the screens this summer will also give the city’s bid to be a host city in the World Cup 2018 a boost, meeting FIFA’s criteria.

Regardless of negative opinions of this in the past, I'd definitely welcome it :thup:

if its for the wc bid rather than "oh look heres some big screens to fix everything" fair enough not the worst thing in the world

What have we as fans got to lose by going along with what they are now trying to do?  I've been as pissed off as anybody at some of the shit that we've played at times this season but it's no longer important.  All we need to concentrate on is promotion and then staying up.  We'll probably have a better chance if we're all pulling in the same direction.

What have we as fans got to lose by going along with what they are now trying to do?  I've been as pissed off as anybody at some of the shit that we've played at times this season but it's no longer important.  All we need to concentrate on is promotion and then staying up.  We'll probably have a better chance if we're all pulling in the same direction.

Best change your avatar then.

It would be nice but they've got to go somewhere. Unless they're positioned very well they're going to fuck a multitude of fans off.

Guest Roger Kint

It would be nice but they've got to go somewhere. Unless they're positioned very well they're going to f*** a multitude of fans off.

Couldnt agree more, the Gallowgate East corner would certainly be one. A cracking little group of fans there and do a lot to try boost the atmosphere. Be madness to fuck them off but its the prime location given the view from most the stadium. At least the other could go next to the Leases pitch access for minimal disturbance.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

And where would these "giant screens" go?

Only place I can think of are above the Gallowgate.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Aye, yeah, I could imagine that.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Would stop any further Stadium expansion like.

Could he have done that without spending some ‘real’ money? The £2-3m we spent this January wouldn’t buy you one proven PL standard player.  Basically he spent as little as possible to make sure our stroll to promotion wasn’t derailed by an injury crisis. There’s nowt wrong with that but spending as little as he thinks he can get away doesn’t seem like a policy shift to me.

I think we’ll struggle but stay up, and there’ll be a distinct change in the atmosphere at SJP as we start losing a lot of games again. Personally I’d prefer to see a few proper contests and have a lot less points than watch another season of men against boys.  

We spent £5.5 million in January and I think we could have managed without it.

If he wanted to spend as little as possible then we could have gotten rid of more high earners than we did.

Considering Ashley has had to put to put in £800b a day to stop us going bust this season perhaps he should have accepted all those offers we got for our high earners in the summer? Given that he was trying to sell the club and we only had an unproven caretaker manager with a s*** record in his previous stint, promotion was far from a nailed on certainty. At best it was a gamble with the clubs future.

So he's a t*** for not buying enough players and he's a t*** for not selling enough players? :lol:

No. I’m just pointing out that if we were turning down offers for our high earners it was a huge gamble.

A huge gamble for Ashley financially, but for our promotion push it showed unexpected commitment and made all the difference in my eyes.

No a huge gamble for NUFC, for it’s the club that is liable for the debts.

Out of interest which bids did we turn down?

Debts he isn't charging interest on and will hopefully disappear when a 'proper' knight in shining armour rides down barrack road with pockets bulging. Either way glad he gambled and it paid off.

Which bids did we turn down? Fucked if I know. Ask the club or the players, maybe Collocini for a start.

“I was annoyed. People were saying the only reason I wasn’t going anywhere was because there weren’t any offers,” he is quoted by the Sun.

“That wasn’t true. The club and myself were getting a lot of offers.”

one on the gallowgate roof and in the milburn leazes corner tunnel thing.

So assuming one of them is hanging off the Gallowgate and the other is on the wall (please don't take out any seats) then it won't really change any layout of the stadium or take any seats away.

But won't that mean that the ambulance won't be able to gain pitchside entrance?

So assuming one of them is hanging off the Gallowgate and the other is on the wall (please don't take out any seats) then it won't really change any layout of the stadium or take any seats away.

thats why i planned it that way.

thats why i planned it that way.

;D I do hope it does turn out that way.

Not really, I'm sure any expansion would be designed with a replacement TV being designed into the expansion if we ever get one.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Not really, I'm sure any expansion would be designed with a replacement TV being designed into the expansion if we ever get one.

Aye, I guess they could build up and around the screen above the Gallowgate. Not sure on them putting one into the corner, don't think there's enough space, so some seats would have to be removed.