Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Brummiemag

5 years ago relegation would have been unthinkable but this clown Ashley has now managed to lower expectations to such an extent that a lot of people will now be happy to see us cling to 17th place by scraping around for bore draws playing shit defensive football next season.

He is now even getting credit for doing a decent job in some quarters - unbelievable

In the last 5 years we've been in danger of being relegated more than once to be honest

Following Sir Bob's departure, it was every year.

yup and it was getting dodgier each season, apart from roeders miracle run for europe as caretaker

Yeah but the point I'm trying to make is that 5 years ago expectations were a hell of a lot higher than they are now.

Ashley has got us relegated, he has lowered expectations to the point that many would now accept 17th playing shit football.

In my opinion he doesnt deserve credit for getting us back to a position that is still far worse than when he took over 

5 years ago relegation would have been unthinkable but this clown Ashley has now managed to lower expectations to such an extent that a lot of people will now be happy to see us cling to 17th place by scraping around for bore draws playing shit defensive football next season.

He is now even getting credit for doing a decent job in some quarters - unbelievable

In the last 5 years we've been in danger of being relegated more than once to be honest

yup and it was getting dodgier each season, apart from roeders miracle run for europe as caretaker

Yeah but the point I'm trying to make is that 5 years ago expectations were a hell of a lot higher than they are now.

Ashley has got us relegated, he has lowered expectations to the point that many would now accept 17th playing shit football.

In my opinion he doesnt deserve credit for getting us back to a position that is still far worse than when he took over 

when he took over we were a midtable side, we werent a side in the top half or challenging for europe, now yes we went down and he played his large part but the seeds of our relegation were sown when sir bob was sacked and graeme souness was judged a good replacement.

when he took over we were a midtable side, we werent a side in the top half or challenging for europe, now yes we went down and he played his large part but the seeds of our relegation were sown when sir bob was sacked and graeme souness was judged a good replacement.

Quite true. Ashley has made huge mistakes and we know that. Equally, he did inherit a complete mess financially and in terms of playing staff.

Quite true. Ashley has made huge mistakes and we know that. Equally, he did inherit a complete mess financially and in terms of playing staff.

He didn't inherit anything, he bought it.

If he didn't realise what he was buying that's something else down to him as well.

May be elsewhere but more banter from Del:

"We have to take a realistic view," Llambias said. "Hopefully we will be there (in the Premier League) and we will have to have a squad that will keep us there. But that needs to grow.

"That can't happen overnight and we are not going to put the club into financial meltdown do buy one or two big names. "Are huge transfer fees a thing of the past? They are a thing of the past for us at the moment because we just can't afford it.

"If you look at the players we bought in January we have changed our attitude to how we buy our players and how we deal with agents. We are a lot stronger as far as our negotiations skills with agents."

The plight of Portsmouth who are now in administration remains a salutary tale for Newcastle.

Llambias said: "You need to take a realistic look at your books and say this is the way we are going. What has happened at Portsmouth is very sad but it is a reality check. We have done a lot of work behind the scenes.

"It is cut to the bone. And it has to be to secure the future. We are now in position where we are quite healthy but it is all about promotion for us.

"Once we were relegated Mike made the decision not to fire-sell. We had a terrible time pre-season at Leyton Orient which scarred the life out of us but it was a wake-up call and the squad have got on with it and got it going.

"When we lost that advantage we had in December we decided to have a final push and freshen up the squad. Chris needed some more players and Mike put the money in again.

"If it wasn't for Mike we would have been a Portsmouth. People have to appreciate that he has put his money where his mouth is and he is committed to getting this club back where it belongs. It is too big a club to stay in the Championship.

Llambias, who runs the club on Ashley's behalf, will also press ahead with the development on young players.

"We are still investing in our development squad, we are very keen on home-grown players and the academy is working very well.

"We will get some investment into the development squad as far as we might be one of two players at a million who are 18, 19 that in two or three years will be in the first team we have some good players coming through which you can see with our youth squad in the FA (Youth) Cup.

"The nucleus is there, there might be one or two positions we might need to review which is (manager) Chris Hughton's job. If he is going to ask for a forward or a creative midfielder then we will have to go out there and look for them."

Ashley's prudence may come as a surprise to Newcastle supporters with the club still said to be the 20th wealthiest in the world, according to recent statistics.

"Those figures from being the 20th richest club are from 08-90 when we were Premier League," Llambias said. "The drop from Premier league to

Championship is just huge. So our revenue would be more like the 48th figure now. We have a huge wage bill that dominates that figures.

"What we are doing is that Mike has pumped in £25 million in December for running costs and we bought £5.5 players in January and Mike has just paid for that, he is committed and absolutely focused on getting the club back up to the Premier League and wants to make sure it stays there and will continue that.

"There has not been a penny taken out of the club by Mike. We have had quite a substantial claim by Kevin Keegan that we had to deal with.

That is a lot of money to find. Season tickets we have been really luck in that we had 28,000 this season which was good. But you need to be up around the 100 million revenue mark to be able to afford the wage bill we have.

Llambias also hit out at those Newcastle supporters who still target Ashley with abuse over his rule in the club's decline.

He continued: "I do find it foolish. It is offensive. I don't think they actually understand what mike has actually done for the club. We have been honest. Mike has admitted he has made mistakes with some of his appointments which have caused all sorts of problems within the club and within the city. We are where we are. He is staying.

"It is not a normal business. You can run a business when 80 per cent of your revenue is down to payroll. Football needs a wake-up call."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/championship/newcastleunited/7398469/Big-spending-a-thing-of-the-past-says-Newcastle-United-owner-Mike-Ashley.html

We have been honest.

:lol:

Yes - the foot in mouth PR machine strikes again. For any die hard Ashley hater the statement

"I don't think they actually understand what mike has actually done for the club. We have been honest"

is just asking for it tbh.

He does seriously need to be more careful with some of the stuff he comes out with.

Financially they have though have they not ? And Llambias wasn't here when KK joined was he ?

Yes - I've said on here a few times that I think they have been honest in terms of what Ashley has funded. There are ways and ways of getting that message across though.

And Llambias wasn't here when KK joined, Mort did the work on that appointment.

Why do people need to be reminded we were relegated by just 1 bloody point due to these inept wankers?

What they have done since is try to undermine a return to the PL right up until January. They are now trying to close the stable door after the horse has just finished the Grand bastard National.

The reason the club is so short of money is down to their own mismanagement that brought about relegation and lost of millions in revenue. Banging on about how much the fat idiot is pumping into the club just makes me want to reach for the sick bag. If he hadn't been such a fool since he took over the club he wouldnt' be needing to do that, so he deserves no gratitude at all and it's a beg for gratitude that comes out of this morons mouth every time he opens it.

So technically him saying they have been honest is the truth.

My point was not about the accuracy of what was said it was more about the PR aspect (or lack of it) .i.e. the way things are communicated.

Telling the fans, who turn up in their thousands to support the team, that they are foolish, offensive and don't understand is not a great idea imo - whether its true or not. And maybe it would be a good move to thank the 28,000 season ticket holders rather than referring to their input as luck. He might actually get a few of the haters onside. Anyway that is just my take on it....

That's just a (bad) transcript of the BBC Newcastle interview isn't it?

But you need to be up around the 100 million revenue mark to be able to afford the wage bill we have.

Maybe some of the directors should take a pay cut then Derek, especially if they're running the club so inefficiently that it needs £50m+ to cover costs other than wages.

My point was not about the accuracy of what was said it was more about the PR aspect (or lack of it) .i.e. the way things are communicated.

Telling the fans, who turn up in their thousands to support the team, that they are foolish, offensive and don't understand is not a great idea imo - whether its true or not. And maybe it would be a good move to thank the 28,000 season ticket holders rather than referring to their input as luck. He might actually get a few of the haters onside. Anyway that is just my take on it....

I don't know him (lamb chop), so I don't hate him.

I see them (ashley and lamb chop) as inept wankers who have almost destroyed a football club I've supported for over 40 years due to a whole series of bad decisions. This will go down as a dark period in any future book on the  "History of Newcastle United" and that they have the gall to give any advice to supporters on anything at all makes me cringe. I wouldn't trust either of them to hold a lolly stick and help kids over the road, they'd get that wrong as well.

So technically him saying they have been honest is the truth.

Exactly.

It would be nice if the club could communicate more with the supporters but every time that charmless odious man decides to open his mouth, it ends up being a PR disaster.

What they have done since is try to undermine a return to the PL right up until January.

:lol:

Well that's an improvement over the usual pearls....I mean, dollops of shite.

As opposed to your daft post.

Daftest posts I've ever made on this forum were a couple of years ago when I said it would take a shite Board and relegation before people like you would see the obvious.