Maps for my mobile

indi

Does anyone know if and how I could download something like the google maps for a country to my mobile so that when I'm there I can use the GPS on my phone without getting fucked over on data charges?

Guest guinness_fiend

The GPS charges would be extortionate.  As daft as it sounds, it could be easier to pick up a cheap handheld SatNav.

Does anyone know if and how I could download something like the google maps for a country to my mobile so that when I'm there I can use the GPS on my phone without getting fucked over on data charges?

Depends on the mobile you have... TomTom (don't know if they're available in the UK) offer maps and software for mobiles/smartphones. It costs something but you can download the software and the maps from their hompage and have a great app on your mobile.

Depends on the mobile you have... TomTom (don't know if they're available in the UK) offer maps and software for mobiles/smartphones. It costs something but you can download the software and the maps from their hompage and have a great app on your mobile.

I tried to install tomtom on my phone (win mob) before, but couldn't get it to work, I'm going to have a go installing garmin and see what happens, as I've found a site with a map of Lebanon on it, just need to find a similar map for Syria now.

Sorry, I meant data charges. 

Yeah, that's why I want to download the map before I go, so it doesn't have to do it on the fly and therefore remove the data charges.

Guest guinness_fiend

I was always under the impression that using GPS abroad requires a data connection, in order to update your position etc.  I could be wrong though.

Pretty sure that if I can get the software to work then it'd work the same as a standalone gps and therefore not require a data connection.

That's the way it is. You don't have to pay for gps. If you have software + maps on your phone it won't cost you a penny.

data charges ?

is that just the packet data ? been using google maps and ovimaps on mine for a bit and the packet data is negligable.

I have free unlimited data in the UK, but if I used it abroad they'd undoubtedly screw me for all I'm worth, not to mention that it may just not be available where I'm going. No idea what the mobile coverage is like in Syria and Lebanon, but I doubt I'm going to get a HSDPA signal in the Dead Cities.