Pikey mackem grannies

BlueStar

"eeeh! elsie,i'll be able to get all the grand bairns a pastie each for christmas dinner and a bottle of lambrini for us...serves the little tart right,being a student when she should be shagging in bus shelters like we did,............how's your beryl's bairns arse after bonfire night anyway?"

I've got to go to filth town tomorrow, to do some research for my dissertation.

on inbreeding ?

No, on the rivalry of Newcastle United FC and Sunderland AFC, 1948-1980.

Haven't thought of the question title yet, but its looking at the arguments on violence and hooliganism by Football Historians such as Mason and Dunning (I won't bore you with it, I'm still not sure of it all myself) and applying the NUFC-SAFC rivalry to it.

When did the rivalry become violent and why? Was it really ever as friendly as some people make out? (going to watch Newcastle one week and Sunderland the next, etc).

I was hoping to steer clear of the whole hooliganism area, as it's a bit cliched really. I originally wanted to look at either the impact of TV on football fans. Comparing pre-Sky (50s-80s) with post Sky (90s & 2000s). Or activism amongst supporters -pressure groups, opposition to clubs, boards etc. But after talking with my lecturer, he suggested it would perhaps be looking at the contemporary a bit too much. I suppose he has a point. I am doing a history dissertation, and also the historical debate wouldn't be as good.

So I was down at Sunderland Library Local Studies Centre today, as I had to have a look at some copies of the Sunderland Echo on Microfilm (unfortunately, it won't be my last trip either  :( ). The staff were friendly and helpful enough, but its not a patch on the Local Studies Centre in Newcastle. The Microfilm machines are manual, hand wound ones, compared to the electric ones at Newcastle. You want a print out of a newspaper report, at Newcastle you press a button on the machine, put 20p in  and you get your copy.

I went to do that at Sunderland. No button or slot. Went to the desk. I had to fill out a request form for what I wanted, pay 50p and then they would print it out. But, I couldn't even get it there and then. There's a list you see, and they'll print it out within a few days and I can either go back and collect it or they can send it to me. I just went and copied the details by hand instead.

I don't condone hooliganism, but I did laugh at the report of a toilet being ripped out of a train and thrown through a window en route to the 1978 derby at Roker Park.

Anyway, Jesus, I've not been to Sunlun for a while. My God, it is as awful as ever, but fair play to them, their Wilkinsons is HUGE, must be bigger than ours.

I was glad when the Metro back to civilisation turned up.