Streaming Football Matches

Tooj

:fishing: I thought the thread title would give Dave a heart-attack.

Just wondering how long people think it will be before you can watch all of your team's matches online legally. For example you pay a yearly subscription fee and all of your team's matches are streamed over dedicated high quality servers.

If this did happen would you actually pay for it? It would definitely be something I would be interested in.

ESPN already streams a lot of minor sports events through ESPN360, I think it's just a matter of time until they add a pay-per-view option with more "premium" content I think. There's already a lot of streaming options for watching non-sports content legally here in the US, so I guess it will happen. I guess one of the stumbling blocks might be how current broadcasting rights are worded, however. A lot of current entertainment contracts don't address internet issues well, since it's still fairly new.

Isn't NUFC TV s**** and pretty unreliable though?

Infrastructure is another problem. Clubs can't obviously manage this on their own. I don't think sky has the infrastructure either to make it cost effective for them. It's not the same for a small market like Norway than it would be to build up the datacenters, etc... to stream the Premier League worldwide.

ive got a crap inet connection at uni, so lets give it 2 (or 3 as im failing) years before they get this system on the go hopefully...

seriously though, id pay for it if it was like through an interactive thing on tv for example. Like red button on BBC, select what game you want to watch. I can afford championship football but as a student, nee chance for premiership...

Isn't NUFC TV s**** and pretty unreliable though?

Infrastructure is another problem. Clubs can't obviously manage this on their own. I don't think sky has the infrastructure either to make it cost effective for them. It's not the same for a small market like Norway than it would be to build up the datacenters, etc... to stream the Premier League worldwide.

It's hardly that hard, or expensive, to pull off. Norway is a prime example of how easy it is when you just want to. The revenue highly outweighs the costs if the PL was to do a worldwide launch of a service like the one in Norway, though they could in turn lose out on money from selling the TV rights. Which I think is more where it's at rather than not being able to pull it off.

You'd also not go "worldwide" at once, you'd obviously start off with a few countries where it's most viable and then expand from there.

I definetely would pay for. Depends on how much it would be though. But for example the German pay-TV "sky" wants over 15€ for ONE match to watch online. I thought about watching ManU vs AC Milan last week and it would have cost 19€.

So I think the prices shouldn't be that high.

Guest guinness_fiend

In the UK - highly unlikely.  I would wager that only the super-clubs could really make it a profitable enterprise.  For instance, do you really think that teams like Fulham, Bolton etc. are going to risk a set percentage of Sky TV revenue (which is funded mostly by advertising and the resaleability of their transmissions worldwide) for a peak-and-trough system?

Firstly - the risk and reward element will not be attractive to mid-tier clubs.  Secondly - clubs are not likely to risk losing season tickets by offering fans almost every game for a fraction of the price.  What is more likely, in my opinion, is that games *not* broadcast in the UK may end up being streamed via club websites for an extra fee, on top of one's season ticket, although again it could affect away support at matches.

Oh fuck, I just remembered. This streaming thing is only available because the company that originally bought the TV rights divided it up and sold it on to others. The clubs still get the same amount of TV money, and there is a streaming option like VGLive.

On a semi related note,  I was in a Rileys yesterday (Snooker/Pool club chain,  for those overseas) and they were happily streaming the West Ham/Chelsea game on the giant screen at 3pm.  Not entirely sure how they could blatently get away with that one for such a big company?

It would be worth it for the away game, but once people can start watching all the games on TV then crowds will go start to go down. Maybe if each club was allowed to stream only away matches it would work.

It would be worth it for the away game, but once people can start watching all the games on TV then crowds will go start to go down. Maybe if each club was allowed to stream only away matches it would work.

How would that work? The home team wouldn't be allowed to stream the match.

Yeah, that way it encourages fans to go to home games, and because most away fans would go weather or not their is a stream or not it shouldn't have much of an impact on away support.

Yeah, that way it encourages fans to go to home games, and because most away fans would go weather or not their is a stream or not it shouldn't have much of an impact on away support.

What about foreign fans? The whole purpose of streaming is to reach a larger audience. 

What about foreign fans? The whole purpose of streaming is to reach a larger audience. 

Different rules then, but for UK customers only the away team should be able to stream them.