Beckham out of world cup?

lovejoy

Guest toonlass

IMO your choice of club can be affected by a number of intangibles. Your choice of country isn't.

Ok, so I am supposed to change who I support after 35 years. Could possibly understand if I had chosen to support a fucking decent team like Brazil or Spain but being brought up to follow Scotland, do you not think I have suffered enough man.

Guest Micktoon

IMO your choice of club can be affected by a number of intangibles. Your choice of country isn't.

Hmmmm. i spent a while supporting northern ireland due to newcastle players playing for them when none had a sniff of playing for england.

Is that supporting or following. Not knowing your nationality, if your home nation at this time were to play NI who would you have been supporting.

Hmmmm. i spent a while supporting northern ireland due to newcastle players playing for them when none had a sniff of playing for england.

Is that supporting or following. Not knowing your nationality, if your home nation at this time were to play NI who would you have been supporting.

i'm english but novocastrian/northumbrian first and foremost and at that time i'd have supported northern ireland against england.

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/digging-a-hole.jpg

Is that Terry Pratchett? I've never seen him not wearing his hat.  Never mind carrying a digging implement (sidestepping the racist overtones of course)

Bluf, you refererred to the English as 'you' as if you are outside of that group and have made several cracks in this thread alone at the expense of the England team and have made so many comments about being a Sweaty and following Scotland and thier joke league on this forum I was actually shocked to read on here that you were actually just a traitor to our great nation.  I thought that you were just one of the millions of hypocrites that live on this side of the border and tell us what a bunch of cunts we are.  Did you select your vociferous treachery for shock value, to differentiate and give yourself a reason to stand out from the crowd as you didn't really give a good reason for why you follow the international Mackems.

Guest toonlass

What about someone like Decky, who despite being born and still living in Northern Ireland supports Eire? (admittedly he does have an Irish passport through a technicality of being able to choose his nationality but he was born within Northern Ireland).

To be honest I couldn't give much of a crap about international games, but every time a big tournament comes around I end up getting invovled and start believing, the last time was the last world cup just after Portugal had a few players out for their game against us so I started believing and it all fell apart. I like to see Scotland do well though, yet thats yet to happen.

Guest Micktoon

What about someone like Decky, who despite being born and still living in Northern Ireland supports Eire? (admittedly he does have an Irish passport through a technicality of being able to choose his nationality but he was born within Northern Ireland).

Not quite the same as being English and supporting Scotland.

Back to the thread topic though, is this his career over?

The Milan vice-President said they'd have him back next year but I don't know if he'd still have the motivation at 35 - what else can he accomplish realistically, why run the risk of getting another serious injury when he can play in the back garden field with the kids?

Aye, let's get back on topic.

I think it might be. He seems a very motivated character but he might just decide to call it a day after this (assuming he is definitely out). As I've already said, I feel very sorry for him, but England will be OK.

The MLS and LA Galexy are going to love this now though, the amout of wages they are going to have to pay him for doing nothing, if he doesn't get his wages though he will still get a big compensation package. I can see this being the end of Pre MLS season loans.

The MLS and LA Galexy are going to love this now though, the amout of wages they are going to have to pay him for doing nothing, if he doesn't get his wages though he will still get a big compensation package. I can see this being the end of Pre MLS season loans.

forgetting insurance aren't we. LA galexy may be rubbing their hands at this.

Guest toonlass

Nice attempt to divert the debate onto sectarianism there, Blef. :thup:

Hey I tried.  :lol:

Not quite the same as being English and supporting Scotland.

No, it's actually being Northern Irish and supporting Ireland, slight difference there. Why the heck do you care so much anyway?

This is more of a big shame than a big miss IMO.

Whilst I would have taken him in my squad, I wouldn't see him as a vital cog in the machine. I have little doubt that this passing/crossing and experience would have come in handy, but it's not like we are majorly short in midfield.

I feel very sorry for him though. I think he's been a quality player and in my view, his commitment to England and to the game of football itself is excellent. The only potential blemish is his questionable (early) move to America.

As has been suggested, this could even be the end of his career but I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty more of him within the game.

This, I don't think England chances would be dramatically affected, but I like Beckham as a player and it's sad to see him not going. Disagree with those who said everything he did in the last 3 years for money, maybe LA Galazy but Milan was all about playing for England. Beckham to me symbolizes someone who never gives up and who went challenge comes back even stronger, in a philosophical sort of way its sad to see that even such a character can't overcome bad luck.

Guest toonlass

Gutted for the chap, was really hoping he'd be able to go out with a bang.

Probably more like a pop tbh

forgetting insurance aren't we. LA galexy may be rubbing their hands at this.

It all depends how much he's insured for and if it's for the full amount, I'm pretty sure their will be a huge excess to pay.  :laugh:

I'd think yes, on the international stage.  But then I thought that after the last world cup as well.  It's a pity for him and England as he would have been useful to bring on as a sub in tight matches, whether it is providing the killer pass or keeping hold of the ball.  None of the wingers England have are great at delivering end-product which is what he has done for over a decade.

Guest toonlass

I'd think yes, on the international stage.  But then I thought that after the last world cup as well.  It's a pity for him and England as he would have been useful to bring on as a sub in tight matches, whether it is providing the killer pass or keeping hold of the ball.  None of the wingers England have are great at delivering end-product which is what he has done for over a decade.

How much match time would he have gotten do you think? It's a shame for him, but it gives younger players a better chance.