Beckham out of world cup?

lovejoy

How much match time would he have gotten do you think? It's a shame for him, but it gives younger players a better chance.

Not much, 'impact' sub.  Or as much of an impact as his legs would allow.  The younger players are all pace with no real capability for creating that telling cross or pass which is where he made his name.

Ketsbaia's Shiny Head doesn't support England.  He supported the Czech Republic.  Now he supports the Ivory Coast.

Well kinda. I certainly don't support England and I much prefer club football. Will be hoping 'The Elephants' do well this summer though  :coolsmiley:

beckham probably will retire. its like when somebody is dying but they're just holding on to see their family one last time. the world cup was all that was kept his career going. without it, he may as well not have one anymore. if that makes sense.

Guest toonlass

I can see Beckham finishing with him going "home" and playing for the Hammers for 1 season it would just round it off.

Was he a West Ham fan? Thought he was always Manchester United?

I can see Beckham finishing with him going "home" and playing for the Hammers for 1 season it would just round it off.

Was he a West Ham fan? Thought he was always Manchester United?

He was/is but he is a East End lad from Leytonstone os it would complete the Beckham journey.

Guest Micktoon

Nice attempt to divert the debate onto sectarianism there, Blef. :thup:

Hey I tried.  :lol:

IMO your choice of club can be affected by a number of intangibles. Your choice of country isn't.

Hmmmm. i spent a while supporting northern ireland due to newcastle players playing for them when none had a sniff of playing for england.

Is that supporting or following. Not knowing your nationality, if your home nation at this time were to play NI who would you have been supporting.

What about someone like Decky, who despite being born and still living in Northern Ireland supports Eire? (admittedly he does have an Irish passport through a technicality of being able to choose his nationality but he was born within Northern Ireland).

Not quite the same as being English and supporting Scotland.

No, it's actually being Northern Irish and supporting Ireland, slight difference there. Why the heck do you care so much anyway?

If you refer to my first post I said IMO. You know an opnion. Quite honestly I couldn't give a fuck if you followed Zambia, it's just something I can't get me head around.

As for the Irish one, way to complicated to compare to your situation.

Guest toonlass

So who is most likely to take his place in the squad then?

Adam Johnson I hope.

Aye, I suppose he seems to be the obvious choice. Won't have done himself any harm getting that superb goal against the Mackems today too.

Adam Johnson I hope.

And his cause can only be strengthened with Lennon's apparently slow recovery at the moment. There's usually one who comes from 'nowhere' and Johnson looks like being this year's late entry.

Adam Johnson I hope.

That would be a quite amazing turnaround. In the Championship in the autumn, in the World Cup by summer.

He's never got a callup, however, will Capello put in the squad a player that he's never worked with?

Adam Johnson I hope.

That would be a quite amazing turnaround. In the Championship in the autumn, in the World Cup by summer.

He's never got a callup, however, will Capello put in the squad a player that he's never worked with?

It's a big ask. But I'd like to think Capello will judge him purely on his form in the next 8 weeks. My concern is he won't get enough game time to impress.

Guest toonlass

Adam Johnson I hope.

Thing is, there is an additional place to fill now. Are there any other players who are on the fringe of the squad who look likely to have not booked their place already? Even if he just went as a squad player then it would be great for him.

Adam Johnson I hope.

Thing is, there is an additional place to fill now. Are there any other players who are on the fringe of the squad who look likely to have not booked their place already? Even if he just went as a squad player then it would be great for him.

firstr off is there an additional place to fill....was beckham a cert ?

secondly does that mean there was one space for milner/wright philips/walcott/lennon ?.

Guest Geordie Boyo

Gutted for him and gutted to not have him in the squad. You can always rely on hmi to provide that pin-point cross and scoring goals outside the box. He's been a game winner in those situations and still is, so it is a massive loss. It obviously would have been his last world cup and there's no doubt that he would not only have been selected, but he most certainly would have made an impact in games when needed.

Milner, Lennon, Walcott & Wright-Phillips are all good players, but Beckham still is world class with his touch, passing, crossing and shots on goal. He was never a player of great pace where as Walcott, Wright-Phillips and Lennon provide that on the counter attack, but aren't great cover getting back. Maybe Lennon can do a little bit of a job there, but again Beckam helped out there too. I think maybe all four of those players can be equally good going forward, so its hard to say who become a regular. I guess it just depends on who we play, which is kinda good to have in terms of options I suppose.

Not a MASSIVE LOSS - a pity but he'd become lass and less influential in open play

you could never fault his workrate but he was becoming an expensive specialty kicker and for the World Cup you need fit players who can adapt to different positions

And not having the Chief Wag there, trying to revive her career,  will help as well

Adam Johnson I hope.

It's a big ask. But I'd like to think Capello will judge him purely on his form in the next 8 weeks. My concern is he won't get enough game time to impress.

What struck me yesterday was Johnson's composure. He got into the game right away, didn't make any silly, headstrong decisions, kept the ball well and was effective. That kind of temperament is what you need for the pressure of international football. SWP and Walcott have more experience at that level, but their decision-making is still a bit suspect.

That might tip things in Johnson's favour, in that with SWP and Walcott you have a similar package - quick players who are good at getting past the full back but not very reliable in other aspects. Johnson offers something different on the right.

Guest Roger Kint

Good now Capello can pick a player that will be useful on the pitch instead of as an FA PR guro. Hes been given his last 30 odd caps anyway so he should be fucking grateful tbh

Couldn't care less - just a pity he was there as Sven's puppet-master in the previous one.

Glad to see the back of him and his wax-model wife - a bad influence on the squad and I bet Capello is secretly pleased too.

Couldn't care less - just a pity he was there as Sven's puppet-master in the previous one.

Glad to see the back of him and his wax-model wife - a bad influence on the squad and I bet Capello is secretly pleased too.

If capello didn't like him, then he wouldn't have picked him for most of his squads.

Couldn't careless either, BTW.