Someone computer techy please help!

Super Duper Branko Strupar

I have posted this in the 'Help' section but I'm not sure how often that is accessed so have posted here too - please move or delete if this is inappropriate for this forum.

Please can someone techy help me.

I have a rather old laptop and It has had no battery for ages as well as a very poor connection on the mains. Subsequently it has trouble staying on, and often cuts out as soon as you turn it on as if the power isn't enough at certain points during start up.

I have now got to 'The blue screen of death', something I haven't experienced in a year or so - unmountable boot volume.

I think I can fix this using chkdsk - is that right? But I cant access chkdsk before it shuts down to bluescreen so cant start my laptop.

Can anyone help???

Haha, aye, its proper donald - you wanna lend me the cash?

Have you got the operating system build disks? Could try a rebuild on it.

NO thats the thing - I never received any disks with it.

Have the recovery option on start up along with the option to boot XP but it has never worked.

This has happened before, think due to the numerous cut outs in power during boot the registry is well donald, so need chkdsk to at least sort it out enough to start it up.

I took it to a laptop repair shop and all he did was manage to get chkdsk running - which I cant find for toffee!

Haha, aye, its proper donald - you wanna lend me the cash?

You can get a decent one for 130 quid.

excuse?!?!

Refurbished but at least its recent and works. Unlike your fred flinstone thingy.

It is a only late 2005 Centrino processor and 40GB - but its got all my music on before downloading was frowned upon, at least 20GBs worth.

I just need to get it started, if I start it and leave it on it can run for months and I dont want to have to use my birds until I get another - I'll probably not be allowed on here for a start

Have you droped it at all, have you tried re seating the memory ?

how do I do that?

Thanks for your help by the way. I know I need a new one but I just want it started then I can put everything onto my ipod then at least ive got it all saved somewhere.

Save it somewhere other than your iPod if you wanna be able to copy that music onto a new computer / re-sync your iPod again.

how do I do that?

Thanks for your help by the way. I know I need a new one but I just want it started then I can put everything onto my ipod then at least ive got it all saved somewhere.

Save it somewhere other than your iPod if you wanna be able to copy that music onto a new computer / re-sync your iPod again.

Couldn't I just save all my files onto my ipod using as a usb memory stick like i do other files? My ipod is 60GB and my laptop is only 40GB.

how do I do that?

Couldn't I just save all my files onto my ipod using as a usb memory stick like i do other files? My ipod is 60GB and my laptop is only 40GB.

Well you may be able to 'reserve X amount of space for data' and copy the mp3s that way yeah, just don't sync them as normal music.

sounds a s*** laptop

i honestly dont get how some ppl spend so much time on a pc, but invest as little as possible!

Maybe some people don't care unless it does what they need it to do?

true, but don't have a fit when it goes wrong, because it's probably lasted longer than needed!

sounds a s*** laptop

i honestly dont get how some ppl spend so much time on a pc, but invest as little as possible!

true, but don't have a fit when it goes wrong, because it's probably lasted longer than needed!

Haha, its done remarkably well!!!

It'll still keep on going when I get an XP disk to run chkdsk. I desperately need a new one though. Its just when I buy one its pointless buying a low spec one, I'll want at least £600 worth of laptop

sounds a s*** laptop

Haha, its done remarkably well!!!

It'll still keep on going when I get an XP disk to run chkdsk. I desperately need a new one though. Its just when I buy one its pointless buying a low spec one, I'll want at least £600 worth of laptop

Get a macbook