Debunking the myth: West Brom's penalties.

The Prophet

The subjective myth: So there I was raging when I heard of West Brom's latest 'dubious penalty decision', it was a bitter pill to swallow considering their winner at the weekend. I'd already developed an unhealthy dislike of them after our FA Cup encounter, possibly one of the worst refereeing performances this season. I'd accepted that they were a team with far superior running power and skill to our own and were therefore far more likely to induce penalty decision from the referee, but still having heard of this so called stat of six penalties in eight games or what ever the hell it was I was determined to find out how many penalties the bastards had 'earned' this league campaign.

The objective truth: So sadly I sat and counted how many penalties both West Brom and Newcastle had scored and conceded from this season (due to not being able to find any stats on missed penalties). You can correct me on these stats but on my count West Brom have been given six penalty decisions in the league this season and five awarded against them. On the other hand we have been awarded and three and conceded one. The reason it seems as though West Brom have had more is because of the two awarded at the Hawthorns in the FA Cup tie combined with the fact that five of the six they have been awarded have come in the second half of the season.

Conclusion: I, like some others have let their bitterness of the FA Cup tie amongst other things exaggerate the amount of penalties West Brom have scored from in the league this season. Think about it the stats make sense, we have had a better defence and as a consequence have conceded less penalties while West Brom's more cohesive attack has meant they have induced more than ourselves. Another option is that I've missed counted a large amount of penalties which puts this theory to bed, ah well.

Surely the main issue doesn't just boil down to numbers, it's if the penalties were valid or not?  If one team gets 6 stonewall  penalties awarded over 12 games and one gets four, of which three were clearly dodgy, which team has had the better treatment from the ref?

Guest firetotheworks

It doesnt bother me that they get penalties, as many have pointed out, its because they have players running at defenders, and it's going to happen. It's just annoying that it seems to happen in games that are deadlocked, and that they've had dubious decisions.

Guest Geordiesned

Their last 2 shouldn't have been pens. The one at the weekend was a foul outside the area and tonight's was a dive by Giles Barnes.

I also counted them out in the "Other Games" thread. They have got 9 this season (in the league) and missed three. Only in two games does this change the points tally blackpool home and away 3-2 each game. Without them WBA would have dropped four points.

I would guess 9 pens is the league record.

And yes seven of those nine are from 28 of Dec on and five of those nine are since 30 of Jan so it seems like more... or as I suggested previously its that they have only recently gotten good at cheating after months of practice.

Jonas, Loven and Routledge dont run at players like West Brom do? I know Loven and Routledge werent really present til new years onwards...i guess that is the factor really.

I think another myth is that they play better football than us. They play a different style of football and one that is probably more pleasing to the eye away from home, but not necessarily better.

They are also the dirtiest team I've seen this season and seem to be experts in conning referees. How Olsson ever stays on a pitch for 90 minutes is amazing.

I think another myth is that they play better football than us. They play a different style of football and one that is probably more pleasing to the eye away from home, but not necessarily better.

They are also the dirtiest team I've seen this season and seem to be experts in conning referees. How Olsson ever stays on a pitch for 90 minutes is amazing.

Who plays the better football will be decided at the end of the season, if you finish top clearly you play the better football as its a game about results.

Fact is we are both going up!

You have a better defence than us no doubt, we have a better midfield, far more mobile with lots of goals in them hence the penalties, the forward line is an interesting one, I would say that during the season your forward line is more effective at this level, we have only really had Bednar so far, Cox is not a first choice option, Luke Moore is heading for the lower divisions, however, with the return of Miller we have a real goal threat, a fit Miller and Bednar will score for fun at this level, I expect us to get 90 points this season, if you can better that total, the Championship title is yours, and over the season, you will have been the best team. 

But with a fit Miller and Barnes expect us to get more penalties, they are too good for this division, we may just push you all the way!

Who plays the better football will be decided at the end of the season, if you finish top clearly you play the better football as its a game about results.

You have a better defence than us no doubt, we have a better midfield, far more mobile with lots of goals in them hence the penalties, the forward line is an interesting one, I would say that during the season your forward line is more effective at this level, we have only really had Bednar so far, Cox is not a first choice option, Luke Moore is heading for the lower divisions, however, with the return of Miller we have a real goal threat, a fit Miller and Bednar will score for fun at this level, I expect us to get 90 points this season, if you can better that total, the Championship title is yours, and over the season, you will have been the best team. 

But with a fit Miller and Barnes expect us to get more penalties, they are too good for this division, we may just push you all the way!

Nob off Yam Yam.You only appear on here after you've won.You went missing after your defeats to Bristol City and QPR,clearly a WUM.

Nob off Yam Yam.You only appear on here after you've won.You went missing after your defeats to Bristol City and QPR,clearly a WUM.

If you check through my posts you will see I predicted exactly what would happen, including our dip through injuries FA cup fatigue etc. you having excellent home form and the odd away slip up.

I have posted several times in recent weeks, so wind your neck in, take your eye patch off, stop looking to blame our penalties on refs!

If you check through my posts you will see I predicted exactly what would happen, including our dip through injuries FA cup fatigue etc. you having excellent home form and the odd away slip up.

I have posted several times in recent weeks, so wind your neck in, take your eye patch off, stop looking to blame our penalties on refs!

It ain't just the refs is it?Giles Barnes has turned into the new Tom Daley,and he's only been there a month!!

It ain't just the refs is it?Giles Barnes has turned into the new Tom Daley,and he's only been there a month!!

He learned everything he knows off Jonas!  :coolsmiley:

Can't remember Jonas gaining a pen whilst diving in 2 years..I may be wrong though.

And it's not just about simulation,mostly it's down to poor refereeing decisions....they say it's a case of swings and roundabouts.Well if that's true,you should be on the outskirts of Hemel Hempstead or Milton Keynes very shortly.

Gotta love the magic roundabout in Hemel. Bringing fame to the place since 1973.

Made me late for Aidy Boothroyd's last game in charge, 4-3 defeat at home to Blackpool. Bastard thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I expect us to get 90 points this season, if you can better that total, the Championship title is yours, and over the season, you will have been the best team. 

:coolsmiley:

Congrats though.

Guest Phil K

The figures don't lie though - fouls on Jonas go unpunished more often than punished (name ONE where we got a pen for a foul on Jonas) - like Ginola a decade back, and referees should start realizing they aren't supposed to give pens for quality of dive when officiating at Waste Bum (no, I don't agree with the thread starter on this subject)