The Mag

TheGuv

Just was thinking to myself yesterday at the game after i bought my 'Mag'. If there are many other readers out there, becuase i rarely see one under the arm of anybody going to the stadium or reading it at half time or what have you.

So my pointless question is do you read the Mag?  :dowie:

My dad's got hundreds, like, but I've never had the money/been around newcastle long enough to buy it.

Reckon it's gone downhill since footballers are less like working class heroes, and more like international playboys? Doubt many players dedicate their time to stuff like this any more.

Is it better to get one of these, or a match programme? Nearly bought one yesterday but then realised it wasn't the programme.

I daresay it's a better read though, seeing as it hasn't come direcetly out of the club. The programme's just your usual propaganda rubbish but i wanted to read the Jonas interview.

My dad's got hundreds, like, but I've never had the money/been around newcastle long enough to buy it.

Reckon it's gone downhill since footballers are less like working class heroes, and more like international playboys? Doubt many players dedicate their time to stuff like this any more.

They still get a good few interviews with current/ex-pro's, usually one of each in every issue.  The latest one I read had an interview with Enrique, and the old pro's ones are always class, with cracking stories from the likes of Lee, Ferdinand, Warren Barton, etc.

I prefer the regular columnist stuff tbh - Billy Furious is often total genius (his books are brilliant as well) and I'm a big fan of Chris Tait's column too.  Stuff like 'Do They Mean Us?' (interviews with fans of rival clubs) and 'Press Watch' (interviews with local/national journalists) are also usually interesting.

I've said this before (and the editor freely admits it) - because of the nature of The Mag (allowing anyone to write in and get an article published) there are certain months when the same old points are repeated time and time again, which can get a bit tedious.  But on the whole it's always a canny read IMO.

Usually, there's at least one cracking article. Don't think you can go wrong with Billy Furious.

when I had my ST in the Milburn, I was knocking about by the dugouts before the game, and Souness signed a photo of himself, which was in Billy Furious' column in the Mag.  He obviously didn't read any of the article in the few seconds he signed the photo, as it absolutely tore into him  :lol:

Aye, I was just thinking I couldn't really care less what Nolan says or does, but people like Sir Les and Beardo would have been great reads back in the day (and now), which could be why you don't see too many people with it any more.

Got a stack of Mags in a box. Pulled one out the other day which had Souness on the front cover on which my mate had scrawled "I AM A FUCKING CUNT" on his forehead. Quite depressing to read through back issues, though, tbh.

I had a few articles published when I was about 16.  Think the only one's I've kept are the ones that they were printed in.  Chucked all the rest.  There was a pile of at least 50.

I had a few published as well, but I've not got a clue where I put them which is a bit of a shame.  Need to have a hunt next time I go back to Wallsend.

Guest BooBoo

A decent read but it used to be better. Toon Army News was the best fanzine, a fantastically funny piss take that never went up it's own arse.

Is it better to get one of these, or a match programme? Nearly bought one yesterday but then realised it wasn't the programme.

I daresay it's a better read though, seeing as it hasn't come direcetly out of the club. The programme's just your usual propaganda rubbish but i wanted to read the Jonas interview.

Can never understand why anyone other than kids and tourists would buy the match programme. 100% propaganda bullshit.

Deciding between the match programme and the Mag is a no brainer tbh.

Guest Howaythetoon

I had loads dating back years but can't seem to find them. Never read it or true faith for years now, can't be chowed with reading about NUFC these days.

Guest toonlass

Aye, I tend to buy my Mag from the lad who stands opposite the Strawberry, and buy True Faith too (used to write for them) before life got too hectic

Guest firetotheworks

I always get True Faith, The Mag has never appealed to me for some reason. Are they pretty similar?

Guest BooBoo

I always get True Faith, The Mag has never appealed to me for some reason. Are they pretty similar?

I find True Fairh basically has a collective idea on players and managers and all the articles reflect it. I think The Mag is a lot more eclectic in it's articles. Not that I have really read either consistently this season.