How much would these classic players be worth today?

James

If these NUFC players were playing today and at their best, how much would other clubs be willing to pay?

Peter Beardsley

Kevin Keegan

Paul Gascoigne

Chris Waddle

Phillipe Albert

David Ginola

Les Ferdinand

Alan Shearer

Rob Lee

Gary Speed

Guest firetotheworks

Peter Beardsley £22m

Kevin Keegan £25m

Paul Gascoigne £35m

Chris Waddle £17m

Phillipe Albert £14m

David Ginola £18m

Les Ferdinand £25m

Alan Shearer £30m

Rob Lee £16m

Gary Speed £13m

Those are my guesses.

I reckon if Beardsley was playing today he'd be in the world's top 5. His technique, pace, his endless running and determination to chase down every ball makes him exceptional.

£40m in my opinion.

Kevin Keegan is a bit before my time, so hard to say. European Player of the Year must mean something though?

Gazza was good enough to be highly desired by the cream of Europe. Same for Shearer. £30m each.

Waddler would probably be £15m. Ginola £12m. Ferdinand would get a good price in the PL, probably £15m.

Rob Lee would be about Barry level, £17m.

Gary Speed, not too much different from what we paid, £7m.

Finally, Albert could bring the ball out of defence breathtakingly. Plus he was a rock solid defender. I could see him fetching £30m from the Spanish leagues if he was around today.

Beardsley second time around - £3-5m mainly down to his age.

Albert - £6m

Ginola - £10m

Ferdinand - £15m

Shearer - £35m

Lee - £12m

Speed - £5m (again age related)

Didn't see the others for Newcastle.

Don't worry about age, at their best is fine.

Based on Lescott costing approx £24 million

Peter Beardsley  - £100 million

Kevin Keegan -   £125 million

Paul Gascoigne - £110 million

Chris Waddle -  £85 million

Phillipe Albert -  £30 million

David Ginola - £90 million

Les Ferdinand £95 million

Alan Shearer - £160  million

Rob Lee - £90 million

Gary Speed £24,000,001

Guest firetotheworks

I reckon if Beardsley was playing today he'd be in the world's top 5. His technique, pace, his endless running and determination to chase down every ball makes him exceptional.

£40m in my opinion.

Kevin Keegan is a bit before my time, so hard to say. European Player of the Year must mean something though?

Gazza was good enough to be highly desired by the cream of Europe. Same for Shearer. £30m each.

Waddler would probably be £15m. Ginola £12m. Ferdinand would get a good price in the PL, probably £15m.

Rob Lee would be about Barry level, £17m.

Gary Speed, not too much different from what we paid, £7m.

Finally, Albert could bring the ball out of defence breathtakingly. Plus he was a rock solid defender. I could see him fetching £30m from the Spanish leagues if he was around today.

Albert wasn't that good man.  :lol:

The Lee/Barry comparison is astute. Except Lee imo pisses all over Barry despite the games Barry gets for England.

To value Shearer at 30 Million is a joke tbh. Bayern have paid 30 mio for Gomez. (who is a joke as well)

Cristiano Ronaldo was around 100 mio so I would say Shearer (at his very best) should be right up there imo.

Guest firetotheworks

i'm suprised people have Albert as the lowest. as I see it, he'd have attributes that would be highly desirable to a club like Barcelona.

Defenders always cost less for a start. He wasn't as good at defending as people remember as well.

Guest firetotheworks

To value Shearer at 30 Million is a joke tbh. Bayern have paid 30 mio for Gomez. (who is a joke as well)

Cristiano Ronaldo was around 100 mio so I would say Shearer (at his very best) should be right up there imo.

Aye, but Liverpool paid 25m for Torres. It works both ways.

Yep, Drogba £24m, etc. Ronaldo & Kaka were freak fees.

Torres wasn't at his very best the time Liverpool bought him imo.

Guest firetotheworks

Im thinking people have been under valuing Ginola.

He was a joy to behold in his brief spell here. His touch skills and trickery were fantastic.

He's my favourite player ever, but when he got to us he was getting on, and his spell of brilliance with us only lasted for a season.

Guest itsTosh

Shearer, Keegan - absolutely dominant players at their best - any team would want them. Perhaps a lot of people today never saw Keegan, but he was Liverpool's best player when Liverpool were becoming the best team in the world. 50-60 million at least for each of them.

Beardsley; the player other players all wanted to have on their team. At least as gifted as anyone playing in the current Premier league. 30-40 million.

Gazza: could have/should have been in Pedro's class, but even when he was 17 he was so unpredictable; sometimes played like he was from another planet, sometimes played like he was on another planet. 20-40 million.

Ginola, Ferdinand, Waddle: excellent, Champions League level players. Rather have Les than Berbatov, for example. 20-30 million.

Rob Lee and Gary Speed were good international level players, but would not have attracted massive fees either then or now. 10-20 million.

Albert: as has been said, defenders rarely attract big fees, and while he was a great part of that team, not really a great player (as most of the above were): 10-15 million.

Guest guinness_fiend

Based on Lescott costing approx £24 million

Peter Beardsley  - £100 million

Kevin Keegan -   £125 million

Paul Gascoigne - £110 million

Chris Waddle -  £85 million

Phillipe Albert -  £30 million

David Ginola - £90 million

Les Ferdinand £95 million

Alan Shearer - £160  million

Rob Lee - £90 million

Gary Speed £24,000,001

This.  Doubled.

http://bobbeckstead.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dr-evil.jpg

There will always be those who try to say that Football has changed and players from the past wouldn't cut it etc. etc., but I don't buy that for one minute.

Even players like Hughie Gallacher would have been worth fortunes today for his all-round ability and courage.

From the list above and assuming all at their peak, its hard to look beyond Shearer as the most valuable because of his goals, temperament and consistency - I am convinced we would have won the league in 96/97 had he stayed fit all season because we still finished second even after his long absences.

Taking football ability all round, it has to be Gazza - outrageous skills combined with cocky attitude, but let

down by temperament.

Beardsley runs him very close indeed, only falling behind because he lacked Gazza's cockiness - perhaps too nice but great ability.

KK never had the natural skills of the previous 2, but worked really hard at his game to make him a dangerous forward - another with iron determination like Shearer.

I wouldn't like to guess how much people would pay for Shearer aged 25 nowadays - certainly close to a World record fee again.

I never saw him play, but some that did used to rave about Len Shackleton's amazing skills.

He scored 6 goals in a 13-0 win against Newport in 1946, his first game for the club. He is not usually associated with us because he fell out with the board and was sold to the Mackems 2 years later, but there are many stories about things he did ; he would sometimes dribble past opposing defenders from his own half of the field, beating all the defenders in front of him, then, with only the keeper to beat, would turn and pass the ball back to his defence, just to frustrate the fans...!

Another one who didn't really take the game seriously and would therefore not have been as valuable as the likes of Shearer and KK who were not as talented.

Shearer aged 25 could have commanded a big, big, fee (breaking 50m+ if it was Real who set its sights on him!). It wasn't only his goals, he was one of the most famous English players abroad. Football was just starting to be a global media sport, and he was one of the first symbols of it.

Gascoigne was also very popular in the early 90s, I remember having his videogame (which was shit).

It's difficult to say, because year on year the top division has become more international in flavour, and whereas some of the players like Gazza and Waddle were among the best in the division in their time, there's now a lot more top talent available from abroad as competition.

It's most apparent with the Champions League teams, who I'd say have raised the standard of club football at the top to a whole new level. Shearer, Beardsley and Gazza at their peaks are the only ones I'd feel confident would be appearing for those clubs now, and Gazza would probably be having to work a bit harder on his fitness.

It's difficult to say, because year on year the top division has become more international in flavour, and whereas some of the players like Gazza and Waddle were among the best in the division in their time, there's now a lot more top talent available from abroad as competition.

It's most apparent with the Champions League teams, who I'd say have raised the standard of club football at the top to a whole new level. Shearer, Beardsley and Gazza at their peaks are the only ones I'd feel confident would be appearing for those clubs now, and Gazza would probably be having to work a bit harder on his fitness.

Gazza in his pomp had fantastic fitness, people seem to forget this. He could run up and down all game, it was only when his injury/drink problems became apparent that's when his fitness declined. Does he still hold the record for the bleep test for England as well?