The legend of Stevie Charlton...

Rich

...of the old fella in the flat clap who Sky always singled out during the halcyon days under KK (home and away, if I remember right)?

Once saw him at Tynemouth Market (metro station) of a weekend and was in awe.

He definitely needs to be an avatar. Have been Googling for a good while but can't find anything.

Was just thinking about that fella last night after watching the 92-93 season review.

Have no images like, saw him coming out of Wembley and getting into a car with a couple of youngish lasses after the Charity Shield defeat in 96. My dad always joked that it was KK's grandad, which I believed for a few years.

Was just thinking about that fella last night after watching the 92-93 season review.

Have no images like, saw him coming out of Wembley and getting into a car with a couple of youngish lasses after the Charity Shield defeat in 96. My dad always joked that it was KK's grandad, which I believed for a few years.

Feel disgraceful saying it, but he smelled rather ripe on that early morning in the late 90's when I saw him.

Imagine he has passed now, but used to love it how Sky would always home-in on him during our live matches and his expression would always be the same, win or lose.

Definitely remember seeing him during that fucking 4-3 at Anfield looking more anguished than ever.

Anyone know the bloke's name?

I can't remember off the top of my head what his name is/was, but someone will have the answer for you I'd imagine.  He was referred to by name in loads of articles at the time (saying he'd been going since the 30s/40s, etc) , I just can't recall the name right now.  It's not a very Google-friendly query unfortunately.

I think he was called Stevie something for some reason, but I'm probably totally wrong there.

I typed "famous old newcastle fan stevie" into Google images and got this:

http://www.thisdayinrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/stevie-wonder-comic.jpg

So we're not really getting anywhere.  I don't think that's him.

Guest HGB1892

From a dot com match report vs Leyton Orient in 00/01

*Stevie Charlton is the old fella that was often pictured with Kevin Keegan in the 90s and who made it onto the balcony during our post-promotion parade. Imagine a walking corpse and you get the picture...

Feel disgraceful saying it, but he smelled rather ripe on that early morning in the late 90's when I saw him.

Imagine he has passed now, but used to love it how Sky would always home-in on him during our live matches and his expression would always be the same, win or lose.

Definitely remember seeing him during that fucking 4-3 at Anfield looking more anguished than ever.

Anyone know the bloke's name?

Old Stevie did indeed have a unique cologne. Sat next to him on few away trips and he was canny

Used to stand in the same paddock as him during the promotion season. Remembered his name was Stevie but others have already got there first.

I'm sure I remember reading he's passed on a good few years back now.

Guest BooBoo

I dont think he was really the nice old grandad super fan that every remembers. I heard a few tales that at Christmas he used to busk and tell anyone and everyone who didnt give him money to fuck off.

I dont think he was really the nice old grandad super fan that every remembers. I heard a few tales that at Christmas he used to busk and tell anyone and everyone who didnt give him money to fuck off.

Don't think he has that image anyway, to be honest. You can tell by his face and his expression that he was as hard as nails and as rough as a badgers.

Think his respect comes from the lengths he went to following the club for year after year.