The legend of Stevie Charlton...

Rich

My lasting memory is that lengthy shot of him staring at the pitch after the 4-3 at Anfield (I think) with that look of sheer bewilderment and sadness on his face.

Wish i'd had a word with him after the Charity Shield, but then again I was only 10.

My lasting memory is that lengthy shot of him starting at the pitch after the 4-3 at Anfield (I think) with that look of sheer bewilderment and sadness on his face.

Wish i'd had a word with him after the Charity Shield, but then again I was only 10.

Exactly the same for me mate with the Anfield thing. Heartbreaking enough without seeing his reaction to it!

I was only about 10 or 11 when I saw him in Tynemouth Station that time as well, was too frightened to say anything to him.

My Memories of Stevie stem back to the early 90s away trips with Stan Gates lot that used to leave from behind Marksies trips to Bristol City Oxford and Port Vale with stevie he used to take his teeth out and suck on his sandwiches that someone had packed for him while guzzling on a can of mackie stout....he did smell rather ripe too, i now think his mantle has been taken by that tramp from Shields that goes to every away trip Cliffy Ahmed

Guest toonlass

Does anyone remember that Imre bloke? Was always absolutely bladdered, wore either the light blue away top with "Imre" printed on the back or a Ramone's T-shirt. Rumour had it that he won £50,000 on the lottery, and we all reckoned he would drink himself to death in about a fortnight. Haven't seen him in ages.

I used to work at Cully CIU club when I was at college...without fail Stevie would be there after the match on a Saturday night.  Very sound bloke and a true supporter, always had time to say hello, even if he did get a bit mixed up in his later years.  I know he died a few year back now as me dad went to his send off. 

Does anyone remember that Imre bloke? Was always absolutely bladdered, wore either the light blue away top with "Imre" printed on the back or a Ramone's T-shirt. Rumour had it that he won £50,000 on the lottery, and we all reckoned he would drink himself to death in about a fortnight. Haven't seen him in ages.

Last time I seen him was Doncaster away pre season. I remember at Everton before the 3-1 defeat me and some other bloke ahd to help carry him to the ground because he was so drunk.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Quite a few memories of Stevie, mostly good ones. He never seemed to be able to string many words together fluently when I got to know him. Thats why it was amazing that on some away trips, he used to do his turn at a pub on the way down. Standing on a table his poems went on for ages. Very filthy but memorised and with no notes. He used to sing too and never had to buy himself a drink. Always was amazed at these performances, how he remembered the words I will never understand. His cap was passed round and filled with money at the end.

Never had to sit beside him on the bus thankfully. The yellow stains on his pants very off putting but he was much cleaner nearer the end of his life. He had too many sarnies once and they were passed round the bus wrapped in newspaper for folk to consume. Wasn't hungry enough to try some thankfully ;). Often seemed to be with some young lasses at the games too. They didn't look like carers so always remained a mystery to me.

Saw him after a game at Liverpool, may have been the second 4-3 one, lying in the gutter having fallen. think they were waiting to get him an ambulance but didn't seem drunk.

As mentioned earlier, he used to have a seat inside Fenwicks. think he sang carols and folk gave him money. I always gave him something when he was"performing" and got him a drink one time but never saw him drunk.

The lads on the bus reckoned he had some sort of mental breakdown and was in care for some time but seemed very happy with his lot and must have travelled thousands of miles supporting the Toon.

I remember him on a video clip, when Ardiles had become manager. His first game and Stevie went into the dug out and shook Ossies hand. The look on Ardiles face was funny and the glance at his hand as if something sticky was in it, was a hoot too.

Not in chronological order, but some of my memories of old Stevie. A definite legend even if his claims of never missing a game since he was a young un was probably exaggerated a wee bit :)

• 4 months later...

I used too work in the city centre and i popped into fenwicks on most morning breaks and always  sad hello to him and chatted about the toon ,lovely bloke and the last time i saw him alive he was siting on the no 32 bus at fawdon terminus and i asked what you doing up here and he said "just riding the bus to keep warm son"  . :angel:

• 2 years later...

Just re-reading this thread, and:

Also was told never to accept a peanut off him cos he'd buy then with chocolate on, but cos he had nee teeth he'd suck them and spit them back in the packet.

"Years and years ago he used to work at St James' selling peanuts and people would recognise him from that."

:lol: :lol:

Talking of old blokes at SJP. Don't suppose anyone remembers the old bastard that used to stand outside the Gallowgate end handing out NF flyers back in the 80's, I used to give that old twat some stick as a youth. Amazing the police allowed it.

• 1 year later...

I'm the one who is writing the book about Old Stevie. I knew him personally but I'd like to hear from other fans who knew Stevie or had any encounters with him at the matches or away from football. The book will be covering his whole life, not just the football side of it. I have a few photos of Stevie but I would like some more, so if you have any and you wouldn't mind me using them in the book, please email them (and your stories) to [email protected]

I am donating 10% of all book sales to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and the Marie Curie Centre in Newcastle. Thanks