FA anti-homophobia campaign

Stifler

The Fashanu story isn't exactly encouraging anyone to come out. He lived throughout his career searching for love and lust in the shadowsand the darkness. When he finally did admit his way of life, he was otracised, his career took a turn for the worse, and all the events culminated in him commiting suicide. He didn't set a good example.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Justin Fashanu, when talking abouty openly gay sportsmen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Fashanu

Pretty sure he's been mentioned on every page since page 2 :lol:

Is homophobic behaviour (eg chanting, assaults etc) considered a hate crime in the UK? Punished in the same way as racist behaviour?

And for all those who are homophobic (and there are more than one in this thread), just think for a moment if your brother came home one day with their brand new boyfriend to meet the family. Would you suddenly hate him?

Consider the expression "walk a mile in their shoes"...

Guest toonlass

The Fashanu story isn't exactly encouraging anyone to come out. He lived throughout his career searching for love and lust in the shadowsand the darkness. When he finally did admit his way of life, he was otracised, his career took a turn for the worse, and all the events culminated in him commiting suicide. He didn't set a good example.

:jesuswept:

I don't think Baba meant it like you're thinking tbf.  I think he's saying it's an example that would terrify any gay footballer, rather than being critical of Fashanu himself.  Feel free to correct me though Baba.

For some reason this thread reminds me of this interchange.

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Hey, Sil. You remember your first blowjob?

Silvio Dante: Oh, yeah.

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: How long did it take for the guy to come?

I don't think Baba meant it like you're thinking tbf.  I think he's saying it's an example that would terrify any gay footballer, rather than being critical of Fashanu himself.  Feel free to correct me though Baba.

Well yeah, I am not really being critical of Fashanu himself (though he is no saint. Do not forget their was a rape charge hanging over him before the hanging). The fact of the matter is that the only openly gay footballer saw his career go into tailspin and ended up dead eight years later. If the first black footballers had horrible career experiences, found no success, and ended up killing themselves then it probaly would have set back integration for a fair bit. No one wants to have to carry the weight that Justin did. It is much easier to play pretend and hide your sexual orientation.

On my point about the atmosphere around professional sports, here is an interview about John Amaechi, a basketball player that came out after retirement (British-Nigerians breaking down barriers!):

These attitudes are more common in male-dominated industries than other places, imo. It is best to keep quiet.

Statistically you have to know there are loads of gay footballers, it would be weird if there weren't. There is something wrong that right now more or less none will ever be open about it, even while a few teammates might know or suspect. The advert while flawed makes a decent point.

Well yeah, I am not really being critical of Fashanu himself (though he is no saint. Do not forget their was a rape charge hanging over him before the hanging). The fact of the matter is that the only openly gay footballer saw his career go into tailspin and ended up dead eight years later. If the first black footballers had horrible career experiences, found no success, and ended up killing themselves then it probaly would have set back integration for a fair bit. No one wants to have to carry the weight that Justin did. It is much easier to play pretend and hide your sexual orientation.

On my point about the atmosphere around professional sports, here is an interview about John Amaechi, a basketball player that came out after retirement (British-Nigerians breaking down barriers!):

These attitudes are more common in male-dominated industries than other places, imo. It is best to keep quiet.

So you post that, and don't think there's a problem to be addressed?

The private lives of footballers have got fuck all to do with us, to be honest.

Whatever hole they see as a goal has got nothing to do with me, unless having a slack arse affects their form, obviously.

The private lives of footballers have got fuck all to do with us, to be honest.

Whatever hole they see as a goal has got nothing to do with me, unless having a slack arse affects their form, obviously.

Exactly, but the issue needs to be raised in order for the crowds and "the sport" to be educated to such a level that homosexuality is tolerated (you don't have to embrace it if you don't want to), this just isn't the case at the moment.

Guest toonlass

It's sad that some people have to hide their sexuality because of the ingnorance and intollerance of others. I could only imagine what sort of reaction a player coming out would get from not only opposition fans but sections of their own fans.

It's sad that some people have to hide their sexuality because of the ingnorance and intollerance of others. I could only imagine what sort of reaction a player coming out would get from not only opposition fans but sections of their own fans.

Does the Church accept gays these days?  :fishing:

Guest toonlass

Does the Church accept gays these days?  :fishing:

what a stupid fucking question!

:facepalm:

??? Maybe I am being misunderstood here. What I am saying is that for the welfare of the gay footballer it is probaly beneficial not to come out. Who wants to deal with the inevitable media storm or negative attitudes that will be present among other players? I've posted two examples of openly gay atheletes. One was isolated from the community and the other met some similar negative reactions from honest players, which is representative of what he would have faced in the locker room. If one was to come out today, the reaction from the media would be positive (The politically-correct nature of society), but I honestly think it would be much different among players and other people in football. This is why no gay player has come out, imo. It is obvious they exist. Religion doesn't isn't really relevant in this case.

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

I think God has been judging...

Was Kristian Digby Another Victim of Pooftahs Parasitus?

The BBC presenter Kristian Digby has been found dead at his home. He was 32 years old. Police have revealed that he was dead when paramedics arrived and that the cause of death was "unexplained".

Digby was a homosexual and people are awaiting news as to whether his death was in any way connected to this fact. Daily Mail columnist Jane Moir was not at her desk earlier, although she is sure to be ready to voice an opinion on this latest sad tale.

Digby may have suffered from the same disease as the late Stephen Gately. The disease is known as Pooftahs Parasitus. The symptoms start when a known homosexual dies. Newspaper columnists become rabid and write articles about "abnormal behaviour" and suggest that being gay causes people to die, despite there being absolutely no evidence to support this.

We have no information regarding Digby's death as yet. This is unlikely to stop rumours appearing about how much he liked the daily male. Digby presented the show "Try Before You Buy". He tried. Now he has bought it.

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

I think God has been judging...

Was Kristian Digby Another Victim of Pooftahs Parasitus?

The BBC presenter Kristian Digby has been found dead at his home. He was 32 years old. Police have revealed that he was dead when paramedics arrived and that the cause of death was "unexplained".

Digby was a homosexual and people are awaiting news as to whether his death was in any way connected to this fact. Daily Mail columnist Jane Moir was not at her desk earlier, although she is sure to be ready to voice an opinion on this latest sad tale.

Digby may have suffered from the same disease as the late Stephen Gately. The disease is known as Pooftahs Parasitus. The symptoms start when a known homosexual dies. Newspaper columnists become rabid and write articles about "abnormal behaviour" and suggest that being gay causes people to die, despite there being absolutely no evidence to support this.

We have no information regarding Digby's death as yet. This is unlikely to stop rumours appearing about how much he liked the daily male. Digby presented the show "Try Before You Buy". He tried. Now he has bought it.

What the fuck is that?  :lol:

A satirical article?

Oh my, I didn't actually read the rest of the article and actually thought it was a truthful article  :blush:

I was too busy attempting to work out exactly what Pooftahs Parasitus was.

Fuck me I'm an idiot  :lol:

:facepalm: 

??? Maybe I am being misunderstood here. What I am saying is that for the welfare of the gay footballer it is probaly beneficial not to come out. Who wants to deal with the inevitable media storm or negative attitudes that will be present among other players? I've posted two examples of openly gay atheletes. One was isolated from the community and the other met some similar negative reactions from honest players, which is representative of what he would have faced in the locker room. If one was to come out today, the reaction from the media would be positive (The politically-correct nature of society), but I honestly think it would be much different among players and other people in football. This is why no gay player has come out, imo. It is obvious they exist. Religion doesn't isn't really relevant in this case.

It’ll only ever change if it’s challenged.

A satirical article?

Oh my, I didn't actually read the rest of the article and actually thought it was a truthful article  :blush:

I was too busy attempting to work out exactly what Pooftahs Parasitus was.

Fuck me I'm an idiot  :lol:

Wrong thread for that sort of statement.