january defence

Guest leez

hi , say in january if  , ourselves  newcastle , were to strenghten our defence , or just totally  change the whole back four  which type of defender do you think we should be looking for ..  maybe a wayne bridge  as a full back  .. who else would the toon fans like to see realisticly ... i would tend to look at maybe  german  internationals especially  for center halfves ,  but thats just my  view ....    who do you think  then :)

Ditto. Unfortunately that will take a long time to do even with a competent manager.

Yeah Bridge would be nice, as would someone like Mellberg, then again why would either want to come to us? It's the same old question.

Looking further on into the summer i can see us getting someone like Sami Hyypia on a free just to talk on the pitch and attempt to organise the rabble for a year or two. Especially seeing the emergence of Agger at Liverpool.

hi  i did a search of simular topics  soz if its a simular topic ,    idd nt find that one  ... anyway  do you think say  steven pressley would cut it in the premiership  the captain of hearts  hes a scottish international so hes goona be tough  not sure of his age though  hes wanting away from hearts  ....

hi  i did a search of simular topics  soz if its a simular topic ,    idd nt find that one  ... anyway  do you think say  steven pressley would cut it in the premiership  the captain of hearts  hes a scottish international so hes goona be tough  not sure of his age though  hes wanting away from hearts  ....

No worries, we have a transfer thread daily on this place, it keeps us all from throwing ourselves off the Tyne bridge.

Come 1st Feb 07, that bridge will be one busy place.

hi i did a search of simular topics soz if its a simular topic , idd nt find that one ... anyway do you think say steven pressley would cut it in the premiership the captain of hearts hes a scottish international so hes goona be tough not sure of his age though hes wanting away from hearts ....

No worries, we have a transfer thread daily on this place, it keeps us all from throwing ourselves off the Tyne bridge.

lol  lol

Come 1st Feb 07, that bridge will be one busy place.

i think we should try and pick up at least one new FB and a new CB over january. while we may not have too rediculous an amount of goals conceded, the ones we do let in are very, very poor on our part. so i'd like to see a new LB come in (or bernard to get fit) and a center half who can orginize a defence. Between ramage, taylor, and bramble, we have enough center halfs who have abilty, they just need someone to play with who can manage them during the game(we seem to have zero leaders on the pitch as is, so a commanding center half is a must). and i'm pretty sure moore is gone after this year anyways.

okay  we have nt  conceeded that many goals  , but if owen  martins  dyer (  main man if he can keep fit )  all have great pace and will score goals  if they all were fit  definatley ..    but can we keep them out  i doubt it  i would say get bridge  keep talyour  new 2 new ch  and  look for new right back aswell ...  to think aswell  apparently we should of had matt dawson , pains me to say .... get  rid  of bramble  carr  babayaro .

Bare minimum one RB, one LB, One CB.

Ideally two RB's, two LB's, Two CB's

Sell Carr, release Moore and Bramble at the end of the season if we have no offers for him in january.

Distin and Upson would be reasonably reliable although Distin would be the only natural leader of the pack, god help us if he got injured. But those two would be decent and cost effective, risk-proof, replacements and improvements on Moore and Bramble.

LB- Wayne Bridge, Matt Taylor, Leighton Baines would any of these actually come, get one if so.

RB is a tricky one which would probably be better shopping abroad, there are the likes of Hibbert, Hunt, Neill maybe Volz here that would be adequete but we need someone better than that, both Taylor and Ramage are good enough to hold the fort until we bed someone in.

I really don't think Upson will be as cheap as people are making out, he still has 18 months left on his contract, is their star player and as we saw in the summer they don't just let people fuck off for pennies!

Well if he isnt cheap, simple go elsewhere, I dont rate him that highly but some for some of the figures being bandied around it would have been a decent deal.

As long as we get Distin I will be pleased. We should look to get someone much more experienced alongside him to help Taylor/Ramage/Hunty etc through.

Distin would be a good signing if cheap - average centreback at Premiership level, but he is a leader, has pace, and is comfortable on the ball, attributes we are desperate for. Even being an average centreback is a major step forward for us, because we have total dross playing for us - including Taylor, who is performing poorly despite his potential.

Marseille's Beye would be a quality addition if we could get him, good centreback and solid right back.

Also hope we make a move for Baines. We would sort out the left back position for the next decade if we could get him. Much better at defending than Bridge, 5 years younger with the potential to improve, imo is a better all-round footballer especially with his distribution, and would almost certainly command less wages than Bridge. Can see him developing into the left back equivalent of Gary Neville, although that might be getting a tad carried away. Wont be cheap, but then spending a few million and high wages every few years trying to fix the problem isnt cheap either.

the replies to this thread mirror the exact problems we face as a club - and basically what has brought us to this point;

nobody has mentioned anyone other than the usual suspects; upson, bridge, baines, distin....all would cost us over the odds and with the possible exception of bridge none of them are above average players

as a club we needed to have been scouting across the continent and the lower divisions to prepare us for january - billy jones of crewe anyone?  can play both full back positions, centre half and to my knowledge hasn't signed an extension to his contract as he wants to make the step up....does anyone even believe that our management team know who he is?

it's time we made players rather than trying to buy off the shelf for over the odds - boom and bust has gone kiddies, it don't work....so if it means taking the hit now and not signing a ready made defence then so be it i say (i totally concur with the idea of bringing in german defenders i must say however)

by the way this goes for midfielders and strikers as well - there are players all over the place we need to and should have been looking at but won't have bothered

expect over expensive signings from the list of usual suspects who don't perform, if we continue in this way then we WILL get relegated, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.....but soon

i would say its goning to be a nervy time for us , and we aint got time to chance on a lower league  defender even though they could be better in the long run .... its an established defenders we need now even say loan  to keep us safe ..... as for the future alot more kids playing footie now and nufc has good set up we will have youth coming through  thats a certainty , i watch kids on sundays  and their are some fantastic kids out their thats for sure ....  but first  things first stay in the premiership ...

i would say its goning to be a nervy time for us , and we aint got time to chance on a lower league defender even though they could be better in the long run .... its an established defenders we need now even say loan to keep us safe ..... as for the future alot more kids playing footie now and nufc has good set up we will have youth coming through thats a certainty , i watch kids on sundays and their are some fantastic kids out their thats for sure .... but first things first stay in the premiership ...

problem with that is we've spent 2 years buying eastablished players in all positions (as opposed to uncle bobbys younger 'gambles') and we're headed right out of the league with that policy - why should it change in january

there have been precious few success stories from loan moves; who is gonna loan or even sell us a decent defender?  nobody, so lets get some hunger in there and see what happens 'cause loanees generally aren't known for their desire to run themselves into the ground are they?

say if you got bridge on loan with a view to buy , the lad wants to be an international  and not getting his place at chealsea  dos ent help ... so once  he seen how passionate we are for success the lad  would play his heart out for u cause he wants to be part of england  for european championships and so on  and the only way you can do that is by playing well at club  level 

say if you got bridge on loan with a view to buy , the lad wants to be an international and not getting his place at chealsea dos ent help ... so once he seen how passionate we are for success the lad would play his heart out for u cause he wants to be part of england for european championships and so on and the only way you can do that is by playing well at club level

earlier on i mentioned bridge as the possible exception to the types of players we're talking about on these boards....so granted

can you name me another potential loanee (given the pigs arse we've made of rossi) who you feel would be motivated and/or better than ramage & taylor?

same goes for a reasonably priced signing(s) for that matter 'cause the likes of upson and distin would cost us

RB suggest Steven Whittaker of Hibs. Others are sniffing round including Everton, Charleton Rangers and Celtic. steven Pressley would be a good Jan signing as he is a good reader vastly experienced and would make a sto[ gap short term worthwhile signing. He is 33 and still very fit. Very unhappy at Hearts as is nearly evry player and supporter.

RB suggest Steven Whittaker of Hibs. Others are sniffing round including Everton, Charleton Rangers and Celtic. steven Pressley would be a good Jan signing as he is a good reader vastly experienced and would make a sto[ gap short term worthwhile signing. He is 33 and still very fit. Very unhappy at Hearts as is nearly evry player and supporter.

exactly - i have no idea who the hell whittaker is but as a fan of a football club you have to hope the people in charge of your club do - i've lost ALL confidence we even bother trying to find out about young up and comers never mind scout them

isn't moore basically pressley?  32+ and a decent player in scotland?  not sure we need another one

We need a CB, RB and LB. What the defence really needed we  already have, BIG NIGE, look at how much better we play at the back since he came in. We have been under constent pressure in some games and not conceded.

They defend much more as a unit now, so what we need in better individual players, Carr gives effort but is just crap he over commits and leaves us wide open, Baba would probably be a good player if he would just play with some passion.

So for me first off a RB I would love Nelson from Benfica but we have no hope of gettign him.

Then Bridge for LB and a CB if we have dosh left over after our striker hunt.

at this time  i like alves from seville tough fit good footballer took the p...  out of boro .... i think hes from brazil  ... i like the look of him .. hes a rb , other  targets  break the bank  go for dawson  who we should of had ... should of had barry whoes so versetile and i think he  could play lb  but he s a few others Arne Friedrich  berlin  ,Christoph Metzelder    these  germans fighting for national place all the time ... even look at scandanvia  for internationals who have to perform at club levell....