Taking alcohol on Megabus

Leazes1986

You're definitely not meant to drink on them - the coach driver rattles on about it as you're setting off.

Depends what you're drinking I suppose - if you're drinking spirit and mixer out of bottles of pop then you'd probably be areet if you sort it out before you get on the coach.  If you're wanting to bring cans and you're opening them left, right and centre then I reckon you'd get collared for it and get told to stop.

Guest Howaythetoon

I used a Megabus for the first time to go to London on Tuesday morning and never again, like fucking sardines in a can. Left at 1.15 in the morning and got to London at quarter to 9. Had the return booked for 4pm this afternoon which according to them would have had us home at 11.55 the neet, the fact I'm at home typing from my desk right now tells you I booked a train home instead.

I used a Megabus for the first time to go to London on Tuesday morning and never again, like fucking sardines in a can. Left at 1.15 in the morning and got to London at quarter to 9. Had the return booked for 4pm this afternoon which according to them would have had us home at 11.55 the neet, the fact I'm at home typing from my desk right now tells you I booked a train home instead.

Yeah it's shit like, no doubt about it. An honest marketing slogan would be "it's shit but it's cheap". If you read between the lines then you'll know that anyway tbh - you can get to London and back for less than a tenner if you get in early enough. I just get the Megabus when it's too late to get reasonably-priced train fares and try to sleep for the majority of the jouney if possible

Edit: also there's not really much difference between the Megabus and the National Express coach service either btw, they're both shit.

The bus journey to Londinium last time on't Megabus was probably the worst I've ever had and that includes the time I took the coach in Denmark and it burst into flames. The journey back up to Newcastle was fine, though, so maybe it's a matter of psychology...

Guest Howaythetoon

I used a Megabus for the first time to go to London on Tuesday morning and never again, like f***ing sardines in a can. Left at 1.15 in the morning and got to London at quarter to 9. Had the return booked for 4pm this afternoon which according to them would have had us home at 11.55 the neet, the fact I'm at home typing from my desk right now tells you I booked a train home instead.

Yeah it's s*** like, no doubt about it.  An honest marketing slogan would be "it's s*** but it's cheap".  If you read between the lines then you'll know that anyway tbh - you can get to London and back for less than a tenner if you get in early enough.  I just get the Megabus when it's too late to get reasonably-priced train fares and try to sleep for the majority of the jouney if possible.

I was only going to London for one evening, so didn't want to spend good money. The Megabus appealed as it is dirt cheap and that's what I thought I'd do, just sleep, but found it impossible despite no sleep at all leading up to departure. Meaning when I got to London I was fucked which I didn't want to be as I had a lot of bus and tube trips to make. Never again like I said. I've learned one thing on these runs, use a train or fly and put it through the books as a business expense, which is exactly what I've done. I wouldn't mind I was in London for 4 days the other week and we drove there and back, in a van, all 7 of us (crew cab), time flew over though due to banter and being able to stop whenever you like.

Guest Howaythetoon

The bus journey to Londinium last time on't Megabus was probably the worst I've ever had and that includes the time I took the coach in Denmark and it burst into flames. The journey back up to Newcastle was fine, though, so maybe it's a matter of psychology...

I'm glad I didn't get to experience coming back on the bus. I left Kings Cross at 11.25 or something and got into mackem land (spit) 3 hours later, 20 minutes later via Metro I was at the Central and home by 4 or something, 15 minutes earlier than I was meant to be actually departing Victoria Station on the not so Megabus. I got my tickets really cheap as well via Grand Central Trains or whatever they are called, 64 quid for the two of us booked at 10 last night was fantastic I thought and free coffee even in standard class. You can also just board the train and pay when the mush with the ticket thing comes round.

I'm glad I didn't get to experience coming back on the bus. I left Kings Cross at 11.25 or something and got into mackem land (spit) 3 hours later, 20 minutes later via Metro I was at the Central and home by 4 or something, 15 minutes earlier than I was meant to be actually departing Victoria Station on the not so Megabus. I got my tickets really cheap as well via Grand Central Trains or whatever they are called, 64 quid for the two of us booked at 10 last night was fantastic I thought and free coffee even in standard class. You can also just board the train and pay when the mush with the ticket thing comes round.

i use grand central all the time, only £45 return for me which is great, also the train's have load's of space etc

they don't have the advance fares, it's just one flat price, which is better imo

I've always had decent journeys on the Megabus, the only reason I don't take it now is that I can't spare a whole day travelling.

If I had time to spare I'd use it a lot, under £20 return versus £100 on the train - no contest.

i'm tempted to get megabus, cos i've got new laptop with 8 hour battery life (very small and compact, so could easily do some work, watch film or play on FM for the journey!