Does Roeder need Shearer ?

Skirge

You do the maths but I make it

Roeder+ Pearson +  Shearer  = Winning combo.

Roeder and Shearer

H  Portsmouth          PREM          W  2-0 

A  Aston Villa            PREM         W    2-1 

H  Southampton      FACP     W        1-0 

H  Charlton              PREM         D    0-0 

H  Everton                PREM       W    2-0 

H  Bolton                  PREM W    3-1 

A  Man Utd              PREM       L    0-2 

H  Liverpool            PREM       L    1-3 

A  Chelsea                FACP         L      0-1 

A  Charlton              PREM       L    1-3 

H  Tottenham          PREM        W        3-1 

A  Middlesbrough      PREM   W        2-1 

H  Wigan Athletic      PREM        W        3-1 

A  Sunderland          PREM        W  4-1 

H  WBA                    PREM         W    3-0 

A  Birmingham        PREM     D        0-0 

==============================================

Roeder and Bond

A    Norwich City          FRND    W        2-1

H    PSV Eindhoven      FRND      L        2-3

H    Villareal CF          FRND      D        3-3

H    Lillestrom            FRND      D        1-1

A    Lillestrom            FRND      W        3-0

A    FK Ventspils          FA          W        1-0 

H    Wigan Athletic      PREM    W        2-1 

H    FK Ventspils        UEFA      D        0-0 

A    Aston Villa            PREM      L        0-2 

H    Fulham                PREM      L        1-2 

A    FC Levadia            UEFA      W      1-0 

A    West Ham            PREM      W      2-0 

A    Liverpool              PREM      L      0-2 

H    Everton                PREM      D      1-1 

===============================================

Roeder and Terry Mac

H    FC Levadia      UEFA    W    2-1 

A    Man Utd          PREM    L      0-2 

H    Bolton            PREM    L      1-2 

H    Fenerbahce    UEFA    W      1-0 

===========================================

Roeder and Pearson

A      Middlesbrough        PREM    L    0-1 

H      Portsmouth            LGCP    W    3-0 

H      Charlton                PREM    D    0-0 

A      Palermo                UEFA    W    1-0 

H      Sheffield Utd          PREM L      0-1 

A      Watford                LGCP   W    2-2 (pens 5-4

A      Man City                PREM   D    0-0 

I think in the short term any sort of association with Shearer will lift the whole club no end.

In the long term, i don't think he will ever be able to leave again and then he will get pushed into the managers role without proper experiance. And personally i don't want that to happen.

I don't think Roeder particularly 'needs' Shearer but his presence would/did help him hugely.

Guest nyscooby

Looking at the stats, Roeder/Shearer beat all the average to poor clubs and got thumped by the decent clubs.

Looking at the Roeder/Bond stats, they got thumped by almost everyone.

I guess having Shearer helped but shouldn't we be all writing letter to Jim'll Fix it to get his help in recruiting Hitzy ??

Or if we all held hands and prayed!  :thdn:

Looking at the stats, Roeder/Shearer beat all the average to poor clubs and got thumped by the decent clubs.

Honeymoon period, combined with us playing some shiite teams, as well as some decent teams who were simply shiite on the day.

Also, the squad is actually weakened now for several reasons.

- The arrival of Duff's shadow has pissed NZogbia off, so we now have two totally off colour left wingers.

- Solano seems to have lost his legs whilst Milner continues to be frustratingly poor at times so we have problems on the right wing.

- Shearer has retired and Ameobi is crocked more than he usually is, whilst Sibierski is plain shiite despite the effort and Martins is on a different planet to the rest of the team, forget wavelength. Rossi is a kid who is out of his depth in the Premiership at this point in time. Meaning we have a poorer frontline than the shiite we had up front in the honeymoon period.

- Boumsong and Elliott have gone without being replaced, Moore has regularly been found out, all giving us a weaker backline.

- Faye and Bowyer have both gone, and been replaced by Butt. Not sure about the quality, apart from a good game or two theyre all consistently poor footballers, but we're weaker in numbers as well as selection, since Bowyer could play as an attacking centre mid.

Hence, its probably less to do with Shearer and more to do with the players being on a high back then, as well as easier fixtures, as well as a slightly stronger squad.

Honeymoon period, combined with us playing some shiite teams, as well as some decent teams who were simply shiite on the day.

Also, the squad is actually weakened now for several reasons.

- The arrival of Duff's shadow has pissed NZogbia off, so we now have two totally off colour left wingers.

- Solano seems to have lost his legs whilst Milner continues to be frustratingly poor at times so we have problems on the right wing.

- Shearer has retired and Ameobi is crocked more than he usually is, whilst Sibierski is plain shiite despite the effort and Martins is on a different planet to the rest of the team, forget wavelength. Rossi is a kid who is out of his depth in the Premiership at this point in time. Meaning we have a poorer frontline than the shiite we had up front in the honeymoon period.

- Boumsong and Elliott have gone without being replaced, Moore has regularly been found out, all giving us a weaker backline.

- Faye and Bowyer have both gone, and been replaced by Butt. Not sure about the quality, apart from a good game or two theyre all consistently poor footballers, but we're weaker in numbers as well as selection, since Bowyer could play as an attacking centre mid.

Hence, its probably less to do with Shearer and more to do with the players being on a high back then, as well as easier fixtures, as well as a slightly stronger squad.

Class post!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest Armchair Pundit

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to jump on Shearer's case and write him off before even gets anywhere near the club. He was touted as one of the finest prospects to come out of the FA coaching courses and holds influence over other players. Combined that with our improved results while he was helping Roeder out (albeit regardless of other possible reasons), I thinkhe may very well be an excellent manager with heart to go for what this club needs. But hey, some people will (for some bizarre reason) forever think he hasn't done this club any good through being here in the past and don't want him back... to those people I'm really amazed because without his goals and loyalty we'd probably have been relegated ages ago! Cue all the whining now about how he should have gone ages ago and he really did have a negative influence on the club, blah, blah, blah, like a crack record - I honestly feel sometimes that there's a portion of Toon fans who will never be happy and get more out of hounding staff out of the club!

*Rant over... tin hat on*

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to jump on Shearer's case and write him off before even gets anywhere near the club. He was touted as one of the finest prospects to come out of the FA coaching courses and holds influence over other players. Combined that with our improved results while he was helping Roeder out (albeit regardless of other possible reasons), I thinkhe may very well be an excellent manager with heart to go for what this club needs. But hey, some people will (for some bizarre reason) forever think he hasn't done this club any good through being here in the past and don't want him back... to those people I'm really amazed because without his goals and loyalty we'd probably have been relegated ages ago! Cue all the whining now about how he should have gone ages ago and he really did have a negative influence on the club, blah, blah, blah, like a crack record - I honestly feel sometimes that there's a portion of Toon fans who will never be happy and get more out of hounding staff out of the club!

*Rant over... tin hat on*

Exclent post armchair pundit!!

I'm don't think its any coincidence that Shearer and Roeder did amazingly well together, then when Shearer leaves the good results leave to. Shearer is the man we need! Keegan had no expereince and he didn't do too bad did he? Klinsman and Van Basten had no experience either but found themselves in charge of their national teams last world cup and Klinsman did fantastically well. Why can't Shearer do the same for us ? You have to start somewhere and i'd definately take a gamble on Shearer!! 

On SS last week the pundits were asking the question as to why Roeder did so well last season and is total crap this season. It was pretty well agreed that the answer was Shearer. They said that no one  should understimate the effect that Shearers presence brings to the team. They said the players last season were under no illusion that anything less than dying for the cause was not acceptable. They went on to say that we now have no big strong characters in the dressing room and that our performances showed that.

Makes a fair bit of sense to me like

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to jump on Shearer's case and write him off before even gets anywhere near the club. He was touted as one of the finest prospects to come out of the FA coaching courses and holds influence over other players. Combined that with our improved results while he was helping Roeder out (albeit regardless of other possible reasons), I thinkhe may very well be an excellent manager with heart to go for what this club needs.

Stuart Pearce was touted alongside Shearer as the best prospects from the FA Coaching courses. That where those stories came from, because it was reported at a time when Pearce's Man City were doing well and he was the media's golden boy. Havent heard that statement in a while, purely because Pearce is doing shit and is considered a poor manager at present, so his hype has shown itself to be ridiculously blown out of proportion at the time.

Its funny how it was repeated so often at the time - the FA said it, therefore its evidence of how great these managers will be. Why? What reason is there to believe the FA saying that these two were the brightest stars of the coaching classes when we ourselves know absolutely nothing about these "classes"? Who were the other candidates in those classes for example? What made Shearer/Pearce stand out so much, and has their involvement in top flight football since kids given them an unfair advantage over the other "students"? Who were the previous "bright sparks" that these classes have produced, and where are they right now in the managerial world? How would "shit" managers perform in these classes - your Souness', Kinnears, Roeders and Steve McLarens? They'll probably know tons more about setting out training regimes, giving a few kids some motivational talks, tactics and knowledge about the game in detail - all of that would probably be great in a classroom, in fact theyd probably be teaching the classes, but would mean nowt in real life because we know theyre poor managers.

Its not as though the FA dont have a reason for talking them up either. Firstly, theyre legendary England international ex-footballers, secondly, as a guess, theyre probably the only ones from that "class" who have even the remotest chance of managing a Premiership team, and therefore one day the national side. Clearly, its in their interests to suck up to them as much as they can right now.

Shearer himself may well be a good manager, we'll not know until hes had a crack or two, but I personally dont want us to be the ones who take that gamble. Hes got completely different traits to Keegan imo, Keegan was a man manager and motivator personified, vital attributes for someone who lacks in tactical and organisational skills. Cant put out advanced tactics, or know nowt about organising a defence? Doesnt matter as much if you can motivate a talented player to sprint to the mountain tops and get the very best out of him and the entire team on the pitch. Shearer for me is closer to being a Souness style manager - distanced, unwilling to accept differences, stubborn, and possibly a big problem to get on with anyone he has had disagreements with or disliked (Sutton? Maric? Gullitt? Bellamy? Sir Bobby? Luque?). You could say the same about someone like Sir Alex, but would Shearer have anything like Sir Alex's abilities with regards to creating and building a great youth, training, coaching and fitness setup?

Big gamble written all over it.

Guest redmayne

i think long term shearer could be the answer

anyone that winds roy keane up and comes off looking better is a hero in my book

plus keane at sunderland and shearer at newcastle?

feck me i'd pay just to see that :-)