Success stories and failures for 2009/10

afar

Now we are nearing the end of the season, in regards to individuals, who's made a success of the drop in status and who's been a bit of a disappointment ?

Here's mine:

Success

Carroll - Really emerged this year, needs to get his head sorted but starting to reach that potential.

Kadar - Never lets us down when asked to do a job, a lot of potential.

Colo - Terrific bounce back season for him, yes at a lower level, just hope he can continue it next year.

Jose Enrique - Overall the whole season, our best player, imo.

Harper - Consistent and never let us down.

Krul - When called upon, showed that he can handle it, needs more playing time and to develop his maturity a bit.

Smith - Maybe a surprise to some, but I thought he was decent early season and if nothing else put value on his head where he had none before.

Routledge - A great signing and hopefully he's matured enough to be able to rise to the next level, next season.

Williamson - Another great signing, looks like a really solid pick up.

Lovelyhands - What a fantastic free signing he's been, the partnership with Carroll has been the key to our success since the turn of the year.

Guthrie - Probably been our best player of late when played in his natural position.

Hughton - Surprised me how well he's done this year, I'm still no fan of his but he's proved to me that he's not the complete disaster I thought he was.

Failure

Barton - Can this bloke stay fit, hardly set the world alight on the brief time , he's made it to the field.

Nolan - Despite all his goals, he's just proved to me that this is his level, not good enough for the PL.

Butt - I expected that he would at least be able to hold his own at this level, not even been able to do that, thank god it's his last year in black and white.

Shola - Started off great then injury, not even sure what's up with him now, this should have been his year to excel, he's missed the opportunity.

Best - What a disaster.

If I was to give an award to who has been the biggest success this season that would go to: Andy Carroll based on where he came from to where he is now. The biggest disappointment ? probably Shola, since this should have been his year, although the same could be said about Barton.

Nolan in the same list as Butt and Barton, why?

Did you forget Nolan was our leading goalscorer for a while, before Lovenkrands and Carroll got their shit together? Nolan is by no means a failure. Although I do agree, I doubt he can still cut it at PL level.

Would say the biggest successes have been:

Colo - was pretty much a disaster last season but lookslike he is beginning to get used to the English game. Expect him to be a good premoer league defender next season

Enrique - Goes from strength to strength, was probably our best player last season. Powerful, fast, no worries for next season.

Failures:

Butt - Fuck off old man.....fuck off

Nolan in the same list as Butt and Barton, why?

Did you forget Nolan was our leading goalscorer for a while, before Lovenkrands and Carroll got their s*** together? Nolan is by no means a failure. Although I do agree, I doubt he can still cut it at PL level.

He's been a failure (or rather disappointment) to me that despite the goals, he'sshown so little else, if he was of a level that we need at the club, he should be dominating the midfield units we've come up against this season. All he's done for me this season is proved that he's a good Championship level goalsocring midfielder, and that's a disappointmnet for me because I think we need more than that.

I do agree though, that he's been nowhere near the disappointment that the likes of Butt, Barton or shola have.

To me a failure does less than what is expected of him. Imo, neither Butt nor nolan or failures. Nolan has proven himself to be a decent player with good instincts, who is rather worn-down physically and unfit. Butt has been useless for three years now. He's unequivocally proven himself to be finished as a footballer at any decent level. This is what I expected from both. Shola and Barton are definitely both disappointments, though. However, this is because they haven't been able to stay fit at all.

Guest michaelfoster

Success

Steven Taylor cant blab to the media at the min

Nicky Butt is out of contract in June

Andy Carroll got rid of those awful braids

Failures

Shola is still here and still about as fragile as Steven Taylors jaw

Classing Nolan as a failure this season is horeshit. Yes, his general play stinks, but his goals have been to valuable to put him in that category. That's not IMO, that's a fucking fact bitch!

Nolan a failure? Heard it all now. :lol:

Like I said, I think probably failure is too harsh a word for it. But personally I expect that he would go out there and show he's a class above the rest of the midfielders in this league, outside of his goals, he's not done that at all. His goals have been vital for us, but has he proved that he'll be an asset for us next season ? I don't think he has. 

Lualua has been a major disappointment this season.

That's actually a good point, we expected Lua Lua to have his breakout season, that didn't really happen, would you class Ranger, Tozer or Vucic in the same light ?

Bad enough on it's own, but then to have Smith as a success is priceless.

Did you read the comment I put against Smith. What value did he have before this season, Zero, now at least he's a saleable asset. Do I think he's good enough for us for next season ? Absolutely fucking not. The success story here as my comment said is that we might be able to shift the guy.

Successes:

Nolan

Carroll

Kadar

Harper

Enrique

Coloccini

Lovenkrands

Jonas

Guthrie

Routledge

Williamson

Failures:

LuaLua

Butt

Ameobi

Barton

Best

Undecided:

Krul

Ranger

Smith

Simpson

Successes

Hughton

Carroll

Loven

Colo

Jose

Jonas

Nolan

Guthrie

Simpson

Kadar

Krul (he stayed)

transfers

Willi

Routledge

Fitz

all three were a +

FAIL!!

Best

Shola (fitness)

LuaLua

Butt

Barton (fitness)

SO SO

Ranger

Smith (great start faded away)

Same can be said about Nolan man. Your point is moot.

That's true, I agree, Nolan had no value prior to this season, now there would be more than a couple of teams stupid teams willing to part with a good fee for the guy.

I could quite easily, put Nolan in both categories, for different reasons.

Did you read the comment I put against Smith. What value did he have before this season, Zero, now at least he's a saleable asset. Do I think he's good enough for us for next season ? Absolutely fucking not. The success story here as my comment said is that we might be able to shift the guy.

So you wouldn't say the same about Nolan?

Did you read the comment I put against Smith. What value did he have before this season, Zero, now at least he's a saleable asset. Do I think he's good enough for us for next season ? Absolutely f***ing not. The success story here as my comment said is that we might be able to shift the guy.

i don't even think smith was particularly good at the strart of the season. the press said it all the time, they still do. it was only when a few people squawked about the emperor being in the altogether that he started to be seen for what he was.

Did you read the comment I put against Smith. What value did he have before this season, Zero, now at least he's a saleable asset. Do I think he's good enough for us for next season ? Absolutely f***ing not. The success story here as my comment said is that we might be able to shift the guy.

i don't even think smith was particularly good at the strart of the season. the press said it all the time, they still do. it was only when a few people squawked about the emperor being in the altogether that he started to be seen for what he was.

You're right, he wasn't that good at all.

As long as the perception is that he still has it that's all that matters, when you are trying to shift him.

As long as the perception is that he still has it that's all that matters, when you are trying to shift him.

fingers and toes crossed.

Scroll up