Are strikes justified?

neesy111

With the recession are workers entilted to strike, or should be lucky they are still in jobs?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. With the recession are workers entilted to strike, or should be lucky they are still in jobs?

• Yes They Are Justified
    • Nope, they should be darn well lucky
    • Meh
    • I don't Care

after the ba strikes and now national rail

my personal opinion of the BA one, since I know a little about the organisation, is that they shud be darn well lucky, it's either redundacies or cut's for all!

voted yes but i mean some are some aren't.

i wish more peopole would find out the reasons behind strikes before slagging off the strikers.

the BA one is an absolute disgrace, this is a company fighting for it's very survival, also the cabin crew are earning 1/3 more than average cabin crew wage! hence why BA are making massive changes

I don't see how industrial action like this can ever achieve anything in the long run. surely all the instigators will be ear marked by their bosses and overlooked for promotions etc and at the top of the list for future redundancies?

I don't see how industrial action like this can ever achieve anything in the long run. surely all the instigators will be ear marked by their bosses and overlooked for promotions etc and at the top of the list for future redundancies?

In the case of the cabin crew, it's all levels of crew who will be striking, managerial and pleb, so unless Willie Walsh decided to get involved in the crew promotion process, I don't think it'd have much of an effect.

In some cases yes, in other no.

The BA one isn't, they are already the best paid in the industry (atleast from the UK) with the same if not better beneifts the others, to be honest alot of time strikers should just be lucky they are in jobs, atleast when they are already in a pretty good position.

Like a few of you have said, it all depends on the reasoning behind the strike - the RMT have said that Network Rail were going to cut 1500 jobs which is somewhat a valid reason......

Mind you, the strike does f*** me over like, I've got a train booked to Sheffield on the 7th!

I work for Network Rail and will be going on strike, in fact Im rostered everyday so ill lose about £440 in doing so.  I dont want to strike, i never have but its the only way left now, what they are asking us to do is unreal, we have went from carrying out maintenance on equipment eery 13 weeks to every 6 month's, we inspect and test points every 4 weeks, some have now been reduced to every 13 weeks. 

Along with that they want us to sign new T&C's committing to work something like 65 weekend shifts per year (starts friday night to monday morning)  I currently do 48, their initial ask was 95 weekend shifts.  They want us to commit to working 49 weeks of night shifts, they want us to carry out "multi-skilling" which is simply learning all trades on the railway, my job requires me to take in a lot of information about safety critical equipment, that is, if i don't carry out my job correctly then the consiquences will be deadly. 

They are also asking us to agree to cross boundry working, which is say Im based at Newcastle then on Monday morning then they can send me to York, they want us to agree to "Team size by task".  Currently my shift should consist of 4 men, we have only had 2 men for the last two year, they want to set a team size by the job, which sounds like it makes sense but don't forget we have to find a safe system of working on a railway which is running 50 tonnes of steel at 125 MPH and you would be amazed at just how quiet they are when your working.

Thy have also decided to close some depot's, reduce the amount of 24hr fault coverage there is and cut 1500 jobs in the mean time, they have had 1100 volunteers for redundancy, but look at what I've just said, multi-skilling+team size by task = more future job cuts.

They also want to be able to change your shifts with little notice, how could i possibly plan my life ?

The way that management are treating its workers is with utter contempt, i work with people that have worked the railway longer then some of these people have been alive and the disrespect they show towards them is astonishing.

One of the Directors said to us, sign for it because come April you will be fucking doing it anyways !

Now the offer, for all this and this is just some, of the proposals, they have offered, £750 before tax now, 3% of your wage in April 2012 or 5% is the delivery unit hits pre-determind targets for a consecutive 39 weeks, then 3% on your basic wage in April 2013 or 5% if the country that is the whole of the Network hits pre-determind targets for 39 weeks and your deliver unit hit its targets in 2012.

At best for me that works out at being worth about £3000 over 3 years, for committing to all those items and quite simply surrendering all of my T&C's.  This has all been brought about because the ORR has reduced the budget over 4 years by £4 billion.

We don't want to strike but feel like we have no further option, we all appreciate the fact that we have a job especially in this climate but we have all worked hard to forge careers in the industry, day, night, summer, winter, sun, rain, snow or floods, were still there doing our job no matter what and all we want is the contract that we agreed when we began our employment. If i asked my manager for 64 days holiday this year he would say that i signed a contract saying i was entitled to 26, i struggle to see the difference.

I know its crap for the passengers and we are sorry but its not our doing.

When you set it out like that, it's a persuasive argument. I'd be interested to hear more of "management's" side of the story too...though without the inevitable management bullshit bingo phrases.

When you set it out like that, it's a persuasive argument. I'd be interested to hear more of "management's" side of the story too...though without the inevitable management bullshit bingo phrases.

Dont get me wrong, Im not averse to everything they have asked and i can even understand some of them, if it was my company id want the same, however im not willing to give up so much for so little.

I voted yes but again, as has been mentioned it all depends on the circumstances and the reason for striking.

3 years ago there was a strike here at work, four of the girls in the office were being seperated and put into four offices spread across the town, they all went on strike for 3 days, the work piled up and eventually the big bosses caved in and let them stay in the same office, still together now like.

That isn't an example of a justifiable strike by the way, that's just an example four power hungry bitches getting their own way.

Dont get me wrong, Im not averse to everything they have asked and i can even understand some of them, if it was my company id want the same, however im not willing to give up so much for so little.

stuff the so much for so little. safety cannot be bought off.

stuff the so much for so little. safety cannot be bought off.

No it cant, unfortunatley we cant affect the amount of maintenance we carry out, they have already reduced the schedules and intend to again.  In fact we often work shifts were we should be doing maintenance but are actually carrying out renewals/remedial works, a jobs which Network Rail are putting in a seperate bill for and likely to be claiming a bill for labour which is not actually there technically because our salary is paid from the maintenance budget.

The safety issue that is in the news is our safety, we are being forced into taking more and more risks with safety all amongst the back drop of the company's "If its not safe, don't do it" slogan.

I'm generally in favour of the right to strike, although there obviously are times when strikes have been premature and/or unwarranted.

Working people have to have the right to stand up for what they believe in, and if they can't withhold their services then big companies will know that they can freely exploit them. FFS, employees get taken for a ride enough as it is.

To my shame I'm not a member of a union, as I work in a job where I'm well paid for doing something that's nowhere near as difficult as manual and public service workers. I don't have to clock in or out, and I'm treated like an adult. If that was different then I would absolutely want the right to take action.

Guest Stephen927

Tell you what, next time you see someone who works for BA and has been on strike this week, ask them to tell a soldier who has just returned from Afghanistan that they don't get paid enough, ask them to tell them all about their awful working conditions.

Tell you what, next time you see someone who works for BA and has been on strike this week, ask them to tell a soldier who has just returned from Afghanistan that they don't get paid enough, ask them to tell them all about their awful working conditions.

Missing the point somewhat though.

shit, you're right. next time my bosses try to screw me over i should just be thankful i'm not being shot at in helmand and say nowt.