NUFC's Prodigal Son

Guest nyscooby

Guest nyscooby

Looking at chubby Owens pic today and the comments made by all.......

How is he ever going to come back as a better player?

Rooney spent months claiming he wasnt match fit and needed time to adjust etc etc.... blah blah. Only just getting his first England goal in over a year!

Even if he returned this weekend, he'd be in poor form, with only minutes of football played in a year (or more) Rooney is younger, fitter and possibly a better player, how will this compare to MO?

We should not be waiting with baited breath for his return at any point until he is prooved via the 2nd team and we have a full strength quad, or even just a few solid front men. NOT SHOLA.......

What will Owen really be worth on his first day back? Financially, what will he really be worth and would you rather not wait and just get a few other lads in to do the job full time, even if he didnt come back?

Guest nyscooby

Hey... just think how many have slagged him off for possibly going back to Liverpool, and before he has come back to Newcastle.

Our memory is going to ware thin, he has no real bond with this club, played few matches and missed loads.

I want him as a regular here at our club, but thats not the point, he isnt a regular and his third season may be his first actual run of games for us.

THAT MAKES DYER MORE OF A REGULAR................. oof!

And he will jump ship if the lads drop a division at the end of the season.

I don't really care if he leaves to be honest. I think he's a brilliant player, but to be sad to lose something would imply that you had it in the first place. To me, Michael Owen doesn't feel like a Newcastle player, not his fault but the reality.

I don't really care if he leaves to be honest. I think he's a brilliant player, but to be sad to lose something would imply that you had it in the first place. To me, Michael Owen doesn't feel like a Newcastle player, not his fault but the reality.

Yup.

bluesigh.gif

players who really on pace(bellamy,dyer etc)seem to get back in the swing quicker than those who rely on strength and technique(rooney),owen has an extra in his favour,like shearer he doesnt have the skills of others but they are/were both better finishers than their peers with the mythical ability to just be in the "right place".if the press are correct and owen could return to full training late april he can have a good 5 months fitness than 6 weeks getting rid of the match-rusties,during which he should still be more effective than most prem forwards.

(on second thoughts at about that time he'll get chicken pox,then have to recover from scalding after spilling hot soup,then deep vein thrombosis brought on by wearing the wrong kind of socks)

Owen really needs to bulk up imo, ala Del Piero post 99, because hes got the type of frame that gets injured easily. Hes like a little boy running around on match-stick (aka Dyer) legs, all it will take is one collision or an odd landing and snap. Problem here is that itd affect his game mobility wise.

Either that, or he continues playing the way he has done for us in his few appearances, ie very rarely getting involved in the game and just hovering around the centrebacks waiting for half chances, meaning he avoids having to get stuck in or having defenders thumping into him regularly. Only problem with that is hes going to have to get "involved" at some point during a game, meaning he risks injury because hes so lightweight.

Clearly I have no faith in him ever playing regularly enough for us in the first team. Madrid were big and smart enough to use him as backup, and hed probably do well for us in that role since itd minimise the risks of injuries, but if we tried that with him hed no doubt kick up a fuss and force a transfer.

Owen really needs to bulk up imo, ala Del Piero post 99, because hes got the type of frame that gets injured easily. Hes like a little boy running around on match-stick (aka Dyer) legs, all it will take is one collision or an odd landing and snap. Problem here is that itd affect his game mobility wise.

Exactly in my opinion what has happened to Ronaldinho now mate, he's bulked up too much and he's no longer the Dinho that used to run at people and beat them, now he just stands there waiting for the ball to come to him.

sad fact of the matter is that for 17m we can't talk about him "not feeling like a newcastle player" and tripe like that

he is a newcaslte player and we need him to get started before the end of the season, play next season, score goals and sign a contract extension

then if we sell him for anything over 10m we'll have done well or if he scores shedloads of goals (which he's capable of) and stays even better

what we can't allow is for him to walk at the end of his 4 year contract for nothing, having basically sat out the first 2 years....

by the way we need to be very careful because owen could move for nothing under the rule that allowed andy webster to move from hearts to wigan for peanuts - in the 3rd year of a 4 year contract a player can give 2 weeks notice and the only compensation the club gets is wages...he'd have to move abroad though (that's my understanding of the rule from a hearts fan by the way)

i suppose the fact that i brought up the possibility owen might do the same underlines the general feeling that he isn't commited to NUFC and will walk at the first given opportunity....what i'm saying is we can't allow him to purely for financial reasons

Guest sharath

what we can't allow is for him to walk at the end of his 4 year contract for nothing, having basically sat out the first 2 years....

by the way we need to be very careful because owen could move for nothing under the rule that allowed andy webster to move from hearts to wigan for peanuts - in the 3rd year of a 4 year contract a player can give 2 weeks notice and the only compensation the club gets is wages...he'd have to move abroad though (that's my understanding of the rule from a hearts fan by the way)

the player has to be above 28 years though. How old will owen be when he enters 3rd year of the contract? And as far as I know, there is nothing that he has to move abroad.

Guest sharath

i read a little bit about it and i'm sure it ONLY applies if the player move abroad....

i thought the 28 year old thing was that any player can buy himself out of his contract when they're older than 28 and have a year left? two different rules i reckon....

I thought they were both the same!!

i read a little bit about it and i'm sure it ONLY applies if the player move abroad....

i thought the 28 year old thing was that any player can buy himself out of his contract when they're older than 28 and have a year left? two different rules i reckon....

potentially?  i'm no expert but owen is 26/7 now i think, so there's a chance he could hit that age or just sit his contract out - either of which would be an utter disgrace

I thought they were both the same!!

Owen won't buy himself out of his contract here as he has his precious 'nice guy' image to protect.

if his departure from liverpool tells us anything it's that his ambition far outweighs his image concerns

he only came to us to get in the world cup squad, that much was obvious

Owen won't buy himself out of his contract here as he has his precious 'nice guy' image to protect.

if his departure from liverpool tells us anything it's that his ambition far outweighs his image concerns

he only came to us to get in the world cup squad, that much was obvious

But he didn't play a dozen games for them after a £16 million move did he? He told Liverpool he wanted to leave before his contract ran out so that they could make money on him.

I personally don't like Owen, however I just can't see him buying his contract out after us paying his wages for the last 2 years while he's been injured.