Darling - Cuts will be bigger than Thatchers

Rob W

Well, what a surprise...considering the national debt is the largest its ever been in your lifetime? How else would you suggest we deal with the situation? Bury our heads in the sand?

Well, what a surprise...considering the national debt is the largest its ever been in your lifetime? How else would you suggest we deal with the situation? Bury our heads in the sand?

It'll be dealt with by the Tories saying "not our fault" and "this is what we inherited from them over there" for an entire term.

We could always try something different, like raising taxes for the most well off (many of whom made a fortune during the boom years). 

It'll be dealt with by the Tories saying "not our fault" and "this is what we inherited from them over there" for an entire term.

and they say cameron isn't 'son of blair'

We could always try something different, like raising taxes for the most well off (many of whom made a fortune during the boom years). 

How high exactly do you want to raise income tax like? 60/70/80/90%? 100%? It's already absurd as it is. Anyone with the skills to be able to get paid that highly will just fuck off to a less ridiculous country.

:jesuswept:

How high exactly do you want to raise income tax like? 60/70/80/90%? 100%? It's already absurd as it is. Anyone with the skills to be able to get paid that highly will just fuck off to a less ridiculous country.

Fine by me.  They'll soon figure out though that there just aren't that many countries with lower taxes than ourselves where they can actually have anything close to the same quality of life.  I hear Somalia has nice low taxes.

Besides which, if they leave their jobs there will very likely be others capable of doing their jobs who will be willing to pay higher taxes on their wages.

If the Tories ever get in,perish the thought,the thread title will need an extra "n" in it.

How man, it's going to be that way regardless of who wins. If Labour hang on, they'll face a leadership battle within 12months - fantastic news - on top of an already diminshing level of faith from the public. If the Conservatives take over, they'll have 30-40%~ of the public hoping that they fail, so that they can say "I was right, ever since 1979 I've been telling you how awful those posh twats are" - despite many of them not being old enough to understand what was happening under Thatcher :lol:

If the Lib Dems managed to get any sort of real power (:mackems:) then we'd be mired in red tape and confusion over what the hell is actually going on - Nick Clegg would be so overwhelmed by the thought of being in power that he'd remain catatonic for the first 6months until Vince Cable took over

Fine by me.  They'll soon figure out though that there just aren't that many countries with lower taxes than ourselves where they can actually have anything close to the same quality of life.  I hear Somalia has nice low taxes.

Besides which, if they leave their jobs there will very likely be others capable of doing their jobs who will be willing to pay higher taxes on their wages.

:jesuswept:

:lol: Just fantastic.

:facepalm:

Don't take this the wrong way... but are you slightly retarded?

Or are you just 15 year olds and parroting what your dipshit social studies teacher spews out?

well most of the north will rejoice when that bitch dies, she killed off manufacturing in the north east basically

Manufacturing in the UK was actually a higher level of GDP both absolutely and relatively when Thatcher left government and indeed when the tories were displaced by Labour in 1997. If you want to point the finger for the death of the manufacturing industry in the UK at anyone it's got to be Blair and Brown.

I'm with Niel on this one.