Playing Golf

Tisd09

Hi guys I started playing about 3 years ago when I bought a full set of clubs for £30 from Sports Direct, thought the price was too good to turn down. Haven't played that much over the years and mainly pitch and putt.

I have only ever played an 18 hole course twice and that was Celtic Manor. 1st time was because my mate wanted a partner and the 2nd time the wife thought it would be a really nice present for me for me birthday, which it is a nice present but she doesn't realise how pants I am. Ddin't record my score 1st time 2nd time it was nearly as embarrasing.

Anyway, I may get a few lessons, just some basic ones as I haven't had one apart from my cousin giving a few tips, is it worth me upgrading my clubs? The set I got are really shit as you can imagine at £30. Is it worth me spening a fortune on lessons or just have a few basic ones?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Take a few basic lessons with the clubs you own. Play a couple of rounds on a full course within a couple of weeks of your lessons.

At that point you will be able to tell if you are into the game or not.

If you want to continue, you don't have to buy a full set all at once. Buy a decent putter to start, then the woods and finally a good iron set. That way you won't have to spend all at once and you can learn about how you play so you can buy the right equipment.

• 4 months later...

Don't try and hit the ball too hard. Make sure your grip is right on the club, then work on your swing. Slow and easy at first. If you try and pulverise the ball straight off you'll end up chasing it round the trees.

Make sure you feel comfortable with your swing, keeping a good posture also helps!  Don't try to take it seriously as golf is the more frustating game in the world, my game is fine on the practice range, and then goes to pieces when playing

Guest Heneage

Supposed to be playing this for the first time today, any advice?

Wear the most ridiculous clothes you own.

Could take him a while to decide.

Can I borrow your pink bed-sheet t-shirt?

Guest Heneage

Can I borrow your pink bed-sheet t-shirt?

I bought that for a one off football match. What's your excuse? :angel:

You're going straight onto the course without swinging a club before?

Good luck, try and have a nice rhythm to your swing, don't accelerate and decelerate at any point, keep your head still and don't get too ambitious.

Good luck, try and have a nice rhythm to your swing, don't accelerate and decelerate at any point, keep your head still and don't get too ambitious.

they don't let ya on some courses without any practice ?!?

they don't let ya on some courses without any practice ?!?

Not practice, but if one has never swung a club in one's life it will take considerable time to get round the course, and it will be incredibly frustrating, unless one is a complete natural.

Should be fun trying to neither speed up or slow down at any point. :lol:

But yeah, keeping your head still is a big one. It's not so much that you shouldn't move your head at all, just make sure any movement of your head is moving back away from the target rather than towards it. STAY BEHIND THE BALL.

Also try to hit down on the ball, especially with your irons and wedges. A very common problem for beginners is that they tend to try and scoop the ball up into the air with their swing. Try and feel like you're hitting down on the ball, driving your hands through ahead of the clubhead. The loft on the club will give the ball the height you need, don't try and force it.

If you're really struggling to get the ball off the ground then don't be too proud to use a tee to give you a bit of a boost.

Personally I'd recommend getting a nice set of clubs before spending any real money on lessons. Nothing that'll cost you hundreds of pounds but a decent set of some sort. Getting a few basic lessons is a good idea but don't go too overboard. Just get some fundamentals down and go out and play. That's how you really learn how to play golf, by doing it.

Should be fun trying to neither speed up or slow down at any point. :lol:

:lol: I knew someone would pick up on that, just a steady rhythm I mean, almost let the club come down onto the ball rather than trying to hit the ball hard.

Does anyone on here play regular then?

Yes, me.

Little tip. When playing an iron shot the first 6 inches or so of the back swing should be really slow then bring the club back and accelerate through :thup:

Guest prestonj1989

Does anyone on here play regular then?

Yeah I do, played about 100 rounds last summer, was playing twice a day quite often, not been at the same level this summer but I'll get back on the horse fairly soon.

That is alot. I have been playing about 5 times a week since I finished university. Getting a bit frustrated with the lack of improvement though - I seem to be very inconsistent.

I get down the driving range once every couple of weeks but I've not played a round in a good few years. I keep talking about it but never actually do it.

give me a shout if you want a round, as i have my most important clubs with me down london