The RIP thread

madras

sigh....madras, didn't you moan once or twice before because of members starting RIP threads whenever a footballer dies??

yes......................and no.

an obituary is ok, especially when it's a player we are aware of. its not good when people throw in a 'RIP' to show they care when really they don't know squat about the person. putting that 'RIP' in is as tacky as those who had their 6 yr olds sign Robsons condolence book.

sigh....madras, didn't you moan once or twice before because of members starting RIP threads whenever a footballer dies??

an obituary is ok, especially when it's a player we are aware of. its not good when people throw in a 'RIP' to show they care when really they don't know squat about the person. putting that 'RIP' in is as tacky as those who had their 6 yr olds sign Robsons condolence book.

I didn't know Jackie Milburn, or see him play, but I read enough about Newcastle United's history to know that he was a legend, on and off the pitch. I hope to god that my kids end up supporting NUFC, and if we never hit the heights we've hit in recent years I'll make sure I tell them about the time when we used to be good, and the world's greatest players actually used to play for us, and if they sign books of condolence for Shearer, Beardsley or anyone else then I don't think its tacky, more a case of giving them a proper football education.

I didn't know Jackie Milburn, or see him play, but I read enough about Newcastle United's history to know that he was a legend, on and off the pitch. I hope to god that my kids end up supporting NUFC, and if we never hit the heights we've hit in recent years I'll make sure I tell them about the time when we used to be good, and the world's greatest players actually used to play for us, and if they sign books of condolence for Shearer, Beardsley or anyone else then I don't think its tacky, more a case of giving them a proper football education.

i took my kids to see the robson memorial tribute. i signed the book. they wanted to, i wouldnt let them as, to me, it wouldn't have been honest,

i took my kids to see the robson memorial tribute. i signed the book. they wanted to, i wouldnt let them as, to me, it wouldn't have been honest,

But if you let them, and part of doing that involved you taking them home and spending the rest of the night telling them what he had achieved, and threw a few DVD's in to boot, then it might have been worth it.

Not that I'm telling you how to bring up your kids or anything  >:D O0

But if you let them, and part of doing that involved you taking them home and spending the rest of the night telling them what he had achieved, and threw a few DVD's in to boot, then it might have been worth it.

they know about him but at aged 6 and 10 can they honestly say "thanks" or "RIP".....no

they know about him but at aged 6 and 10 can they honestly say "thanks" or "RIP".....no

Maybe not, but in my experience kids choose the team they follow for life  from the ages of 6 - 10, and if letting them get involved with something the grown ups are doing that they might not completely understand but are interested in, and that means they end up supporting NUFC and not one of the Sky 4 then I would drop my principled stand!

Maybe not, but in my experience kids choose the team they follow for life  from the ages of 6 - 10, and if letting them get involved with something the grown ups are doing that they might not completely understand but are interested in, and that means they end up supporting NUFC and not one of the Sky 4 then I would drop my principled stand!

how many people do you think went along, some with kids, some without, to sign that book and give the most lovely platitudes even though it really mattered little to them ?

how many people do you think went along, some with kids, some without, to sign that book and give the most lovely platitudes even though it really mattered little to them ?

Dont know mate, sadly probably quite a few. There did seemed to be a slight element of Princess Diana syndrome, although I wasnt in the north east at the time so cant really say.

Point I was getting that though was more that a genuine SBR fan who knew his career and what he had done, might not necessarly be being tacky by getting a young kid to sign a book of condolense or something similar

Dont know mate, sadly probably quite a few. There did seemed to be a slight element of Princess Diana syndrome, although I wasnt in the north east at the time so cant really say.

Point I was getting that though was more that a genuine SBR fan who knew his career and what he had done, might not necessarly be being tacky by getting a young kid to sign a book of condolense or something similar

that was the reason i wouldn't let mine sign as there were tacky parts and for them to sign would have been dishonest. it seemed like there were people who went because they thought they ought to rather than wanted to.