Modem Drivers

Tisd09

Hi guys,

Please can someone help, I am a bit of a spacker with the more technical side of computers.

My mother is using a NTL 250 modem (wired) here computer went kaput last week and I gave her my old machine. However, the machine is not detecting the modem at all, I rang NTL (Virgin) the got me to run the cmd prompt, when I typed in ipconfig, it did not work. They sent an engineer out who then rang ME and asked ME what to do.  :dowie: In the end he left the installation disk, when running the disk it tells me there is no ethernet card. However, I have never had issues with the ethernet before, apart from when I first had the machine I have since run the broadband via ethernet.

What do i need to do, are there drivers available to download for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

Guest Lazlo

If you're connecting via ethernet, the pc should pick up the modem without drivers.

If you're sure it's not anything to do with your pc you could try running it thru usb. You do need drivers for this method though. The Ntl 250 is actually an Ambit U10C018. that might help you find a driver.

Thanks mate.

The ethernet light on the modem is lit, I don't understand why the PC is not recognising the modem at all, when I used the PC myself I connected via ethernet with no problem.

Guest Lazlo

we'll get it sorted no worries.

I would (assuming you still have cable) try to connect the modem to your pc at home. Rule out the modem being a fault if you can.

There's 3 things that could be a problem on your mums pc.

1/ Lan is disabled in bios

2/ Lan drivers are not installed

3/Modem/ethernet is fubared.

If you've swapped pc's though i would imagine none of the above would apply if it was working before.

Try the usb route if you can.

Hi mate, sorry haven't checked the thread in a while. A mate helped me out and I needed to reinstall the Ethernet drivers, downloaded them from IBM's website, once that was done everthing fell into place.

Thanks for you time mate.