Channel five football coverage

Aphrodite

Watching the randomness and shit coverage of the Liverpool game made me for some reason nostalgic about our European nights on Channel five. Playing some godawful team in the middle of nowhere (Hapoel Bnei Sahkin?!) with John Barnes' terrible presenting and John Helm muddling his way through the commentary telling old man stories. I remember John Barnes losing his clothes and presenting in a T-shirt and the truly awful competitions.  They used to do these terrible puns revolving around the film that was on afterwards as well- was all so amateur. ???

Anyone got any memories?  ;D

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just robot John Barnes reeling off words with no emotion and with a constant 4:4 beat.

The fact that the commentators actually advetised 5's next show that was coming up after the football and told them to click the red button to enter a competition to win stuff from that very show.

Just remembered against Bnei Sahkin when their Zimbabwean goalkeeper with the first name Energy got sent off in the last few seconds in front of nearly no fans in the middle of a warzone. :lol: Didn't even seem like football, was just so random.

The fact that the commentators actually advetised 5's next show that was coming up after the football and told them to click the red button to enter a competition to win stuff from that very show.

:lol: Would always be a van Damme or Schwarzeneger film as well.

Guest Stephen927

I didn't mind the coverage when it was the Toon on, but watching another team kind of shows up the shit coverage as tedious instead of funny.

Steven Seagal.

I swear Under Siege is on about 4 times a week on Channel 5.

Guest Stephen927

Steven Seagal.

I swear Under Siege is on about 4 times a week on Channel 5.

:lol: It really was.

Guest Geordiesned

They used to try and link it into the match as well.

"Coming up after the film our big film Big Trouble in Little China. Well, Newcastle have had no trouble big or otherwise from Ventspils tonight"

"Stay tuned after this match for the Steven Seagal classic The Glimmer Man. I guess that goal from Gary Speed makes him the glimmer man for Newcastle as he's given them a glimmer of hope for the 2nd leg in 2 weeks which will also be live on FIVE"

Guest BooBoo

I always thought Colin Murray was a decent anchorman. He's on Radio 5 now, usually on a Sunday afternoon and is good craic.

Guest neesy111

Remember roeder discussing his team selection and tactics before the match on a widescreen to whoever was reporting from the stadium  :lol:

Remember roeder discussing his team selection and tactics before the match on a widescreen to whoever was reporting from the stadium :lol:

Aye and actually telling us how they were set out how to play, "long balls over the top to get passed their CB" (including name) with the opposition manager watching in the background and then we scored within the 1st 10 minutes through that exact tactic.

Zagreb away.  :thup:

I remember the totally biased commentary towards us from Jonathan Pearce i think it was during that. "Come on Stevie Watson" as he was charging up the wing i seem to remember.

Five's cheap and cheerful coverage > ITV's collection of odious twats like Tyldsley & Beglin

Spot on

Did we ever lose a game on Five?  I seem to remember that we'd either win or draw on Five before ITV would grab the rights to the other game in which we'd lose.

Alkmaar at home was on 5, then ITV nicked the away leg.  Can't remember about Marseille or Sporting, but definitely happened in 2007.

Another memory I have is legging it home from school for the Valerenga 1st leg, which was at home and had the mental kick off time of 4pm.  Pretty sure 5 showed that one.