Volunteering opportunities?

Ketsbaia

Some late night weirdness.

I’ve just facebook stalked a girl from my course (don’t really know her). It turns out that she’s going to climb Kilimanjaro in the summer and she went to help African kids last year. She sponsors a kid with her boyfriend. Amazing! I know other people who do similar and I don’t think I’ve ever felt as useless in my life. Even people going to Camp America are getting to see the world, while I’ll be stuck in Chester-le-Street. Again.

I’ve realised I want to do something like that because I feel incredibly humbled seeing such selfless things. I want to do something fulfilling and nice so that when people look at my facebook photos, maybe they can feel like I do now.

So does anybody have any ideas for volunteering or fundraising? All I need is an idea, somewhere to sign up and the motivation to commit to it. Then I can feel good about myself, knowing I’ve done something useful.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I bet after that stalking you were disapointed to find out she has a boyfriend, eh?

You could do a mini version and climb Ben Nevis, do a charity night at a local pub or something random like that.

Or you could get yourself down to the Oxfam shop and offer some free work there, doubt it will get many decent pictures for facebook though.

I bet after that stalking you were disapointed to find out she has a boyfriend, eh?

You could do a mini version and climb Ben Nevis, do a charity night at a local pub or something random like that.

Yeh pretty gutted, but it wasnt the creepy type of stalking...honest! I've taken your ideas on board, thanks mate  :thup:

Yeh pretty gutted, but it wasnt the creepy type of stalking...honest! I've taken your ideas on board, thanks mate :thup:

No problem, I hate it when you find a hot lass on facebook, add them as a friend, wait for them to accept then find out they are in a relationship, theirs nowt worse then that. Unless you proper stalk someone only to find out they are seeing someone. :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is why I do not have a facebook :lol:

Too many on that site have nefarious intentions.

I tend to stay clear of those people. I only usually accept people that I know, and even the it's only people that I really know, plus every so often I go on a cut some people out sort out, and I don't use it a lot.

Ugh, one of my pet hates. No need to go to Africa to do charity stuff. People sponsoring her are more or less paying for her to go on holiday. Just sit in a bath of beans or something FFS.

In my experience people who go away to do these kind of things are just after having a good time and experiencing different things. Which i why i think its wrong when people ask for donations to go on these kind of trips. Its not as though its going to the people who need it.

I think you guys are being pretty cynical about the whole thing.

Everyone wins, schoolkids get a new building built in africa/a new well dug/a new road built for nothing by these charities, and all the charity asks you to do is sponsor someone (like Ketsy) to go out there and do it for free.

Now KSH gets to see the world and do something more worthwhile than sit at home on N-O and you get to give £10 towards something really good, which otherwise you'd probably spend on a DVD which you'll only watch once.

Wheres the problem?

Everyone wins, schoolkids get a new building built in africa/a new well dug/a new road built for nothing by these charities, and all the charity asks you to do is sponsor someone (like Ketsy) to go out there and do it for free.

Now KSH gets to see the world and do something more worthwhile than sit at home on N-O and you get to give £10 towards something really good, which otherwise you'd probably spend on a DVD which you'll only watch once.

Wheres the problem?

If it was proved that the money donated was going direct to the project whatever it may be and not covering any of the costs incurred of the individual i'd have no problem but chances are the person has to raise x amount of which a high % will go on paying for flights/accomodation etc. There was a bit about this on the pet hates thread a bit back

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,29304.msg2224032.html#msg2224032 onwards.

Wheres the problem?

If it was proved that the money donated was going direct to the project whatever it may be and not covering any of the costs incurred of the individual i'd have no problem but chances are the person has to raise x amount of which a high % will go on paying for flights/accomodation etc. There was a bit about this on the pet hates thread a bit back

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,29304.msg2224032.html#msg2224032 onwards.

There are some more reputable companies than others, yes, but KSH seems to be wanting to do it for the 'worth', so I don't see a prpblem.

People are simply saying you can volunteer and help out locally, which will be just as beneficial, and you don't have to fly half way around the world to do it.

No where near as interesting for the person doing it, though. I certainly couldn't be arsed to build a nursery for free in grimsby, but if I got to go to africa and do it I probably would.

Join the Army - they need people and you'll get to see the World

Apparently thats a myth. 2 year waiting list for all positions except infantry. I doubt sitting on the frontline in Afghanistan is what he had in mind.

Some late night weirdness.

I’ve just facebook stalked a girl from my course (don’t really know her). It turns out that she’s going to climb Kilimanjaro in the summer and she went to help African kids last year. She sponsors a kid with her boyfriend. Amazing! I know other people who do similar and I don’t think I’ve ever felt as useless in my life. Even people going to Camp America are getting to see the world, while I’ll be stuck in Chester-le-Street. Again.

I’ve realised I want to do something like that because I feel incredibly humbled seeing such selfless things. I want to do something fulfilling and nice so that when people look at my facebook photos, maybe they can feel like I do now.

So does anybody have any ideas for volunteering or fundraising? All I need is an idea, somewhere to sign up and the motivation to commit to it. Then I can feel good about myself, knowing I’ve done something useful.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Let me ride you like a Blackpool Donkey, I'll then congratulate you on doing something useful.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been looking at the links.

Two problems come up. Firstly i didn't realise that volunteering could be so expensive! I'm basically looking in the bargain basement here. Secondly, in early July I'm at a wedding and my graduation, which seems to conflict with a lot of start dates for the summer.

So I'll keep looking, but unfortunately i might have left it a bit late.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been looking at the links.

Two problems come up. Firstly i didn't realise that volunteering could be so expensive! I'm basically looking in the bargain basement here. Secondly, in early July I'm at a wedding and my graduation, which seems to conflict with a lot of start dates for the summer.

So I'll keep looking, but unfortunately i might have left it a bit late.

am skipping mine.  The mothers not happy about it, but personally I don't see the fuss, I'd rather be away doing something interesting.