Who's good enough for the Premier League?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

I have missed some of the younger players out but if you think they should be added i'll add!

I've ticked everyone who I feel can do a job in a Premier League squad. Doesn't mean first team.

Basically I didn't tick Butt, Best, Smith, Hall and Raylor.

Same - though I included Smith as he might be able to do something off the bench... The other four are out the door for mine, though

Guest firetotheworks

There's some debatable ones, but for me Simpson sticks out like a sore thumb as being not good enough, aside from the obvious ones.

Why havn't we played Smith up front for nearly 2 years? YES HE DOESN'T SCORE MANY. But that game against Arsenal was one of the only games i remember him up front all game and he was fantastic, but now he seems to have lost all confidence wand won't even venture outside the centre cricle at times

Simpson, R Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Smith and Best would be on their way for me.

The rest I'd keep, not necessarily as 1st teamers but as people to have available in the squad. We need to get some first choice players in next season to keep us up.

I'd especially like to see 2 new strikers who can be a bit more prolific than what we've got, and a new creative central midfielder, unless Barton can extract his finger from his arse and fill that role (Debatable given the little we've seen of him so far).

Why havn't we played Smith up front for nearly 2 years? YES HE DOESN'T SCORE MANY. But that game against Arsenal was one of the only games i remember him up front all game and he was fantastic, but now he seems to have lost all confidence wand won't even venture outside the centre cricle at times

Because Arsenal are (or were at the time) the only team with centrebacks who could be bullied by someone going in hard and doing little else. A legless Shearer did the exact same to them, back when he was being back pocketed by decent centrebacks every week elsewhere in the Premiership. "Stick it up the Arse" worked for only one game a year, everyone else pretty much laughs that sort of tactic off with their big, strong, 6-foot centrebacks. Watching Smith trying to out muscle them was like watching a kids training session where the adult coach has the ball and you have a swarm of midgets all buzzing around him trying to get the ball and tripping over themselves in the process.

He had a run of games up front under Big Sam iirc, and was utterly useless, especially alongside Owen (who was also useless prior to Keegan coming in). Might be why it's difficult to remember.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I see it 2 ways.

If its a case of just staying up

Harper

Krul

Jose

Colo

Williamson

Jose

Guthrie

Smith

Barton

Jonas

Rout

Carroll

Loven

Ameobi

would do a job

If we want a top 10 finish

Harper

Jose

Colo

Jonas

Guthrie

for starting - colo, williamson, taylor, enrique, jonas, routledge, barton, guthrie. might not all be good enough to start in the same side mind you, for instance, would barton-guthrie, or colo-williamson click as partnerships in a quicker more physical league? i'd also say that only Enrique has proven he can definitely make the step up, questions remains about all the others who will need a very good season to prove themselves. Colo was shit last time, it never went right for Jonas, Taylor can be dodgy, Barton has issues, Routledge has been poor for a few years, Guthrie looked out of his depth last year, Williamson has never played there before. I think they are all capable of succeeding, but the way things turn out one or two will end up failing.

elsewhere, Harper isn't great, but he'll have to do for one year, Nolan can have a squad role but there's no way he should be an automatic starter in the first XI week in week out, Carroll and Loven can be back up strikers, kadar and simpson squad depth for defence. everyone else - smith, butt, raylor, shola, best, ranger, hall - no place in a premiership squad for you. Butt will be released, Hall's loan won't be renewed, Ranger will be loaned out, while Smith, Raylor ,Shola, Best should be sold. being generous raylor could be used as a utility player, as he can play 4 positions, but he's not barely good enough for the championship never mind the premiership.

Guest optimistic nit

Harper, Krul, Colo, Taylor, Enrique, Barton, Guthrie, Jonas, Loven, Shola, Routladge all have the ability but whether they will perform is another thing.

most the others could do a job apart from the obvious (Butt).

Harper, Colo, Williamson, S. Taylor, Jose, Barton, Guthrie, Jonas, Routledge,

A bit on the harsh side - thinking too much about ideal starting 11

Shouold have selected these as well - Krul, Simpson, Kadar, Nolan, Carroll

Good enough for first team:

Harper

Krul

Williamson

S.Taylor

Colo

Jose

Jonas

Carroll