If We Win Joey Says Drink Broon

Thespence

Not my normal tipple but if we do go up tonight I will drink a bottle Broon afterwards

JOEY BARTON say he hopes that the good times at Newcastle United are only just beginning ahead of tonight’s anticipated promotion party against Sheffield United.

And he summed up the mood in the city with United on the brink of a return to the Premier League when he said: “Hopefully after the game tonight there will be a few Brown Ales being supped!

The Scouser has endured some low points since joining the Magpies in a big money move from Manchester City but netted his first goal since 2008 against Peterborough’s London Road to send 4,100 Toon fans into ecstasy.

In a candid interview, Barton stated his love for United and says he is praying that the dark days are behind him and his team-mates as Newcastle aim to mark the one-year anniversary of relegation from the Premier League with promotion and the Championship trophy.

Reflecting on his exploits against Posh and looking ahead to the big clash with the Blades tonight, Barton told the Chronicle: “It was most probably my best moment as a Newcastle player. I’ve a had few all right ones.

“I remember going down to Tottenham Hotspur and we played like Brazil.

“But that was a good feeling in my first start. Hopefully that’s the start of a load more.

“I came to this football club to do that. I have a great deal of affection for the club and want to see it do well.

“It’s not only me, there are 22 other lads who feel the same.

“Long may it continue.

“Hopefully the more I play there are more days like at Peterborough and more days on the scoresheet.”

And Barton says that Toon players have dedicated tonight’s anticipated promotion party to the magnificent Geordie public, who have backed them throughout this season’s Championship marathon.

With the finish line in sight, Barton said: “We want to see our fans enjoying themselves; they’ve been with us all season and had the same mentality as the players.

“As I say, I want to see a few Brown Ales being sunk after the the game.

Not by me and the players, as we still have a job to do, and not for me because I’m a tee-totaller!

“But certainly in the stands and around the town they will be enjoying themselves.

“It would take a monumental collapse from us and an unbelievable run from Forest.”

He added: “We just focus on what we’re doing.

“We did that on Saturday, and there was an FA Cup tie feel to it.

“We have had 23 of them this season and there are a few more to come.

“The gaffer picked a side to go out and get a result and thankfully we did that.

“Tonight it could be a big night – hopefully we get the right result.

“Then the Geordie nation can go out and have a few jars.”

Barton sprinted over to United’s medical staff on Saturday to hug doctor Paul Catterson, Davey Henderson and Derek Wright after whipping in a fabulous free-kick to put United 2-1 up.

He explained: “It’s been a long hard road and I have been working away in the gym.

“But when you get back and experience that feeling in the dressing room, that’s what it’s all about.

“I went sprinting over to the bench to celebrate with the doc, Hendo and the medical staff because they were brilliant with me.

“They took a lot of time with me to get it right. I’m just getting there now.

“It’s an unbelievable feeling. It’s hard to describe, especially on your first competitive start after a six-month lay off.

“Hendo, the doc and the medical staff have been brilliant – and the gaffer who gave me time to get it right.

“I needed time even though it was hard and there were times when I didn’t feel quite part of it.

“I now want to put some icing on the cake with the lads and become a real force at this club.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/04/05/let-s-paint-the-toon-broon-joey-barton-72703-26177758/2/

Barton always talks a lot of sense IMO, but I fully expect him to follow this up by doing one of

• getting sent off
  • being accused of racism
  • falling out with the manager
  • beating someone up

True. ;D

I don't think I'll be drinking Brown Ale tonight mind.. maybe I'll buy a bottle and shake it around like champagne.

Barton always talks a lot of sense IMO, but I fully expect him to follow this up by doing one of

• getting sent off
  • beating someone up

He is a really eloquent bloke in comparison to some footballers but you just know he's constantly on the verge of doing something really daft.

“I remember going down to Tottenham Hotspur and we played like Brazil."

Who doesn't remember it? If they played like that tonight they really would deserve their Brown Ale tbh.

Once again, great interview with Joey.

After the match, when promotion is secured I think we should feed some Mackems to Joey. Get him to stand on the centre spot, bare chested, off his tits on drink and drugs with blood smeared across his face and chest. Then one by one, we send a timid red and white clad Mackem into the fray from the Milburn/Leazes corner and with 50,000 baying for a kill, we let Joey go to work.

Would be a fitting end to a great season.

• getting sent off
  • beating someone up

Nailed on to happen tonight now. Barton will flip, run towards the dugout shouting racist obscenities at Hughton, will knock him out with one punch, and get sent off for his troubles :pow:

Good stuff, let the gushing commence!

Meet ya at the usual spot after the game :thup:

aye, what time yopu going in/up[ am going to try and bum a lift out of wor lass

Fancy watching the 2nd half/last 30 mins of the Forest game in town.

A old un but a decent read : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1239589/NORTHERN-EXPOSURE-Say-want-Joey-Barton-guts-pose-uncomfortable-questions.html

After the match, when promotion is secured I think we should feed some Mackems to Joey. Get him to stand on the centre spot, bare chested, off his tits on drink and drugs with blood smeared across his face and chest. Then one by one, we send a timid red and white clad Mackem into the fray from the Milburn/Leazes corner and with 50,000 baying for a kill, we let Joey go to work.

Would be a fitting end to a great season.

:mackems:

• getting sent off
  • beating someone up

Nailed on to happen tonight now. Barton will flip, run towards the dugout shouting racist obscenities at Hughton, will knock him out with one punch, and get sent off for his troubles :pow:

Makes him more of a legend tbh.

“I remember going down to Tottenham Hotspur and we played like Brazil."

Who doesn't remember it? If they played like that tonight they really would deserve their Brown Ale tbh.

Once again, great interview with Joey.

Keegan  :smitten:

That was a great end of season so much optimism :smitten:

A old un but a decent read : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1239589/NORTHERN-EXPOSURE-Say-want-Joey-Barton-guts-pose-uncomfortable-questions.html

Nah but fos might, what time does it finish?

Guest The_Scoreboard

where is showing it??