Footage of US Slaughter Leaked

Happy Face

Wikileaks has obtained and decrypted this previously unreleased video footage from a US Apache helicopter in 2007. It shows Reuters journalist Namir Noor-Eldeen, driver Saeed Chmagh, and several others as the Apache shoots and kills them in a public square in Eastern Baghdad. They are apparently assumed to be insurgents. After the initial shooting, an unarmed group of adults and children in a minivan arrives on the scene and attempts to transport the wounded. They are fired upon as well. The official statement on this incident initially listed all adults as insurgents and claimed the US military did not know how the deaths ocurred.

http://wikileaks.org/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8603938.stm

:(

I don't blame the soldiers to tell the truth.  If they didn't laugh they'd go mentally unstable.  Must be a nightmare to be over there.

If you train people to kill and send them to a country in a loaded gunship, they're going to kill people.

The horror of the clip for me is that they shouldn't be there, they shouldn't be getting orders to do this stuff and their superiors shouldn't be covering up the sad results.  It's not isolated.  the Times reported this one yesterday too...

US special forces soldiers dug bullets out of their victims’ bodies in the bloody aftermath of a botched night raid, then washed the wounds with alcohol before lying to their superiors about what happened, Afghan investigators have told The Times.

Two pregnant women, a teenage girl, a police officer and his brother were shot on February 12 when US and Afghan special forces stormed their home in Khataba village, outside Gardez in eastern Afghanistan.

The claims were made as Nato admitted responsibility for all the deaths for the first time last night. It had initially claimed that the women had been dead for several hours when the assault force discovered their bodies.

“Despite earlier reports we have determined that the women were accidentally killed as a result of the joint force firing at the men,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Todd Breasseale, a Nato spokesman. The coalition continued to deny that there had been a cover-up and said that its legal investigation, which is ongoing, had found no evidence of inappropriate conduct.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7087637.ece

:facepalm:

All in a country where General McChrystal, is himself on record as stating "to my knowledge, in the nine-plus months I've been here, not a single case where we have engaged in an escalation of force incident and hurt someone has it turned out that the vehicle had a suicide bomb or weapons in it and, in many cases, had families in it. . . . We've shot an amazing number of people and killed a number and, to my knowledge, none has proven to have been a real threat to the force."

The fuck are we doing man?

The US Military have always been notorious with their cockups, Vietnam was probably the worst. A great many of their soldiers were killed by their own men, going into the jungle at night using their infrared night scopes it would pick up a warm body and they would just shoot. A lot of the time it was one of their own. 

To be honest it's hard to tell if they are carrying weapons or camera's and they have to make snap judgements to save their lives. However the laughter and the lack of respect shown afterwards is disgracefull, including running over bodies with tanks and laughing and luaghig because they had got someone through the windscreen of the van. Also the hope that the surviver would pick up what they thought was weapon just so they had an excuse to shoot him is all wrong.

The US Military have always been notorious with their cockups, Vietnam was probably the worst. A great many of their soldiers were killed by their own men, going into the jungle at night using their infrared night scopes it would pick up a warm body and they would just shoot. A lot of the time it was one of their own.   

This was not a cock-up.  This was standard operating procedure.

As the video demonstrates, the soldiers in the Apache did not take a single step -- including killing those unarmed men who tried to rescue the wounded -- without first receiving formal permission from their superiors.

The Pentagon yesterday -- once the video was released -- suddenly embraced the wisdom of transparency by posting online the reports of the so-called "investigations" it undertook into this incident (as a result of pressure from Reuters).  Those formal investigations not only found that every action taken by those soldiers was completely justified -- including the firing on the unarmed civilian rescuers -- but also found that there's no need for any remedial steps to be taken to prevent future re-occurence.

Happens every day.  Will continue to do so.

US special forces soldiers dug bullets out of their victims’ bodies in the bloody aftermath of a botched night raid, then washed the wounds with alcohol before lying to their superiors about what happened, Afghan investigators have told The Times.

Two pregnant women, a teenage girl, a police officer and his brother were shot on February 12 when US and Afghan special forces stormed their home in Khataba village, outside Gardez in eastern Afghanistan.

The claims were made as Nato admitted responsibility for all the deaths for the first time last night. It had initially claimed that the women had been dead for several hours when the assault force discovered their bodies.

“Despite earlier reports we have determined that the women were accidentally killed as a result of the joint force firing at the men,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Todd Breasseale, a Nato spokesman. The coalition continued to deny that there had been a cover-up and said that its legal investigation, which is ongoing, had found no evidence of inappropriate conduct.

more

The pay-off....

A top US special forces commander visited a family in rural Afghanistan yesterday to plead for forgiveness after finally admitting that his troops killed five innocent people in a botched raid, which, Afghan officials said, the soldiers then tried to cover up.

“I am the commander of the soldiers who accidentally killed your loved ones. I came here to send my condolences. I also came to ask your forgiveness for these terrible tragedies,” he said.

“Sir, you and I are very different,” Admiral McRaven said, addressing Haji Sharabuddin directly. “You are a family man with many children and many friends. I am a soldier. I have spent most of my career overseas away from my family, but I have children as well and my heart grieves for you. But we have one thing in common. We have the same god. He is a god who shows great love and compassion. I pray for you today, sir, that in your grief he will show you love and compassion and ease your pain ... I also pray today that he will show mercy on me and my men for this awful tragedy.”

The Afghan generals then gave the family a wad of cash wrapped in a handkerchief. Relatives said there was almost $30,000 (£19,000).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7092604.ece

I wonder if they had to sign anything to keep it.

Obviously it's horrific watching, and the disregard for human life does seem incredible to me.

But as HF said, I'm sure once you're over there and in that situation your mindset just changes entirely. Hard to really hold it against them to be laughing about it, it's just a sad side-affect of the grander problem.

Also, there were a few guys there who were clearly armed and one of them appeared to have an RPG. I know he's made a mistake thinking the journalists had weapons, but I'd say it's an easy mistake to make when they're surrounded by guys who are actually armed and you're fearing for your life.

The cover up is disgusting though.