Would Shearer be the man we need?

mrmojorisin75

Question: Would Alan Shearer be the type of manager we need at NUFC?

Firstly, it strikes me as obvious that what we need to come in at some point soon is a manager who won't take any shit.  What the club is crying out for is a manager that runs EVERYTHING the way he wants from team selection to transfer policy (that doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't have a director of football either in my opinion).  Keegan was allowed to be that man and he brought us relative success.

Since then we've had a succession of managers that the board and chairman have walked all over - albeit giving them plenty of transfer funds but sacking them and generally treating them like shit, they're always walking the line 'til the next sacking. 

Our club is run as a personal fiefdom by the chairman and board, dissenting voices are not tolerated - the only explicable reason for Martin O'Neill being at Villa and not us.

So what I'm coming to is this, Alan Shearer.

I love the guy but is he gonna be the Martin O'Neill we need?  I'm not so sure.  Throughout his time at the club he's always been old-school.  Backing the manager in the face of overwhelming evidence to get rid, he's the epitomy of the "we're right behind him" method of burying your head in the sand.

His recent comments supporting the chairman cement that view of him - and he has no official connection to the club now so now would be the time to tell it like it is. 

AS is seen as our next saviour in waiting but under the current boardroom regime I just don't see it happening - I just don't envisage him standing in front of the cameras telling us he can't work when the board don't give him the funds to sign the players he wants or do whatever he needs, that kind of thing.

Thoughts?

If he is the 'the manager in waiting' - which i have no doubt - Shearer had better be worth the wait, because the Souness and Roeder appointments imho were seat-warmer appointments aimed at filling the void between the end of SBR's reign and the moment Shearer steps up to the plate. The club has mortgaged it's future on him, as the manager or 'the potential saviour' who will guide us into the next decade if he of course survives over the long haul. The issue i have is that we've forked out a bloody big, and costly downpayment in the meantime. That downpayment being the last three seasons, including the current campaign - in the form of two relegation fights during our spiralling regression suffered under Souness and Roeder. The Shearer Management Blueprint has been costly indeed, and his eventual deeds as manager had better equal or succeed Keegans's accomplishments here.

My argument with that would be that it assumes there is some kind of strategy involved in what has gone on since Uncle Bobby was shitcanned, and I don't think there was.

Looking back it's obvious that the fat man saw Souness as a disciplinarian (admittedly needed at the club) who had succeeded in winning a trophy EVERYWHERE he'd been in the past.  So the fat man backs him to the hilt to do the same with us, then when the trophy is won he can waltz off into the sunset as the man who secured us the trophy.

The trouble was Souness was a disgrace.

Roeder is the anti-Souness, again not exactly a strategic managerial appointment, just more knee-jerk reacting.

Shearer would inherit an underacheiving yet expensively assembled & paid squad if he's idiotic enough to take over (which I'm not convinced of) under the current regime - and I'm not sure he's the person to take it on for reasons stated earlier.  What we need now is a powerful and talented manager at the club, one who can stand up to the pressure PUBLICLY when it's needed.

How often, even under Uncle Bobby, have we sat and watched our manager come out the equivalent of "there's nothing to see here, we have no problems whatsoever" when everything was turning to ratshit before our eyes?

That has to stop, but the chairman and directors are unlikely to appoint someone who will do what is needed when what is needed involves standing up to them are they?

Thus we are in a Catch 22 situation we are very unlikely to get out of without the much hyped takeover.

dont shoot the messenger but have it on good authority that shearer does not want the job as he wants a break from major involvment with the toon.

i think that makes sense - what would make more sense was him having seen what goes on at the club for the last 10 years he's sitting it out until the fat man and friends are gone and he could come back and do a job

which makes his comments supporting the fat man even more inexplicable and disappointing

dont shoot the messenger but have it on good authority that shearer does not want the job as he wants a break from major involvment with the toon.

Thank god for that!!

Hang about, it's just this kind of sensible decision making that we need at NUFC!!

Shearer for manager!!

Nah, not really. We need an experienced manager who knows what he's doing and won't have to learn-on-the-job. Someone who's not involved with the club, who can come in with a different perspective and be able to identify the numerous things that are wrong with the club and do something about them. Major changes need to be made, Shearer isn't the man to do them, hopefully he is sensible enough to know this and won't allow himself to be the thing that papers over the cracks.

Thank god for that!!

agreed - things ain't exactly rosy for the boy keane down at the unwashed are they?

Hang about, it's just this kind of sensible decision making that we need at NUFC!!

Shearer for manager!!

Nah, not really. We need an experienced manager who knows what he's doing and won't have to learn-on-the-job. Someone who's not involved with the club, who can come in with a different perspective and be able to identify the numerous things that are wrong with the club and do something about them. Major changes need to be made, Shearer isn't the man to do them, hopefully he is sensible enough to know this and won't allow himself to be the thing that papers over the cracks.

There is no telling in how Shearer would do here. But I would not be very optimistic with his appointment. I wouldn't write him off for the sake of it because everybody has got to start somewhere, but chances are this is too big a job for Shearer.

I am sure if Roeder goes any time soon Shearer will be approached, just worried the same will happen again, the feel good factor and fresh ideas of a new manager lifts the players until the end of this season and then fo the start of the next the lack of ability with the manager kicks in.

In an ideal world Alan Shearer would come in and lift us back to the heights of Champions League football, I am sure most people would be happy with that but there is a strong chance Alan Shearer will fail, I wouldn't want him to fail for obvious reasons.

Shearer is under contract with the BBC so he will not break that contract, yes he may very well take over the Toon one day but I don't think it will be for a good few years yet.

We will probably have abother 3 managers before he comes in.

Roeder is the anti-Souness, again not exactly a strategic managerial appointment, just more knee-jerk reacting.

Back that up please. In what way is Roeder is the "anti-Souness"? If he is, then surely he must be the best manager the world has ever seen?

I think it's ironic how some people (not just you) will complain about the board sacking managers too often or at the "wrong" time, yet are desparate to get rid of Roeder after a 12 game bad run without any different managers (that most would deem acceptable) being available now than there were at the end of last season.

Back that up please. In what way is Roeder is the "anti-Souness"? If he is, then surely he must be the best manager the world has ever seen?

I think it's ironic how some people (not just you) will complain about the board sacking managers too often or at the "wrong" time, yet are desparate to get rid of Roeder after a 12 game bad run without any different managers (that most would deem acceptable) being available now than there were at the end of last season.

he's the anti-souness in the sense that he isn't fractious or confrontational and personality-wise was totally different to souness who moaned about curses and so forth when roeder never does, read bewteen the lines man

i'm not advocating getting rid of roeder NOW, not at all, but we all know that unless he turns it around quickly he's going - lets not kid ourselves eh?

riddle me this batman, when roeder took over we were short in all areas except wingers....he had a 15m transfer budget apparently and bought with it another winger and an untried striker

we are now in the position where we have no full backs worthy of the name and no strikers - a GOOD manager would have identified targets WITHIN his budget and got them rather than pandering to the desires of the fans for an expensive show pony signing

so if we are in this position in a month/2 months through lack of goals and having the knack of conceding them at home, PLEASE tell me why this manager should not be sacked

oh, and what clubs would put up with a 12 game run like we've had?  charlton have just sacked their manager

he's the anti-souness in the sense that he isn't fractious or confrontational and personality-wise was totally different to souness who moaned about curses and so forth when roeder never does, read bewteen the lines man

i'm not advocating getting rid of roeder NOW, not at all, but we all know that unless he turns it around quickly he's going - lets not kid ourselves eh?

riddle me this batman, when roeder took over we were short in all areas except wingers....he had a 15m transfer budget apparently and bought with it another winger and an untried striker

we are now in the position where we have no full backs worthy of the name and no strikers - a GOOD manager would have identified targets WITHIN his budget and got them rather than pandering to the desires of the fans for an expensive show pony signing

so if we are in this position in a month/2 months through lack of goals and having the knack of conceding them at home, PLEASE tell me why this manager should not be sacked

oh, and what clubs would put up with a 12 game run like we've had?  charlton have just sacked their manager

The possible takeover is the only thing keeping Roeder in a job IMO.

The possible takeover is the only thing keeping Roeder in a job IMO.

highly, highly likely - i also think the fat man has reached the end of his sacking run....i mean which excuse does he wheel out this time?  he's got nowhere to go having petitioned the league for them to let him have roeder and stcked himself on it, if he sacks the guy surely he's tacitly telling eveyone he's blown it?

Looking at the latest from the Express today, it won't be long before we all find out who the next Manager

is going to be... As I said on the Takeover thread, I hope these guys get a move on but I can't think who they'll be trying to bring in ; Shearer would be a huge gamble at this stage, and I just hope they have someone good lined-up. We are in dangerous waters, and need to survive this season - next year is another ball-game(hopefully!).

So he has a couple of personality traits that are different from Souness, that hardly makes him the anti-Souness or a knee-jerk appointment in a completely different direction. The main problems that were associated with Souness were that he fell out with players, holding personal grudges to the detriment of the team, and that he was tactically inept. Both these criticisms (whether deserved or not) have also already been levelled at Roeder.

i'm not advocating getting rid of roeder NOW, not at all

Uh....

it strikes me as obvious that what we need to come in at some point soon is a manager who won't take any shit.

Okay Joker. We had 3 wingers - one of whom is ageing, and another who is just a kid - we now have 4. Hardly overstocking is it? Especially when the wingers are typically the first players who get subbed to freshen up a team.

We brought in 3 strikers actually.

I guess you haven't been reading this board for long otherwise you'd know that for the vast majority on here the "desires of the fans" were actually to spend most of any money available on a complete overhaul of the defence. We are 9th in the goals conceeded table, and rock bottom of the goals scored table. Who was right about where we needed to strengthen? Manager or fans?

Charlton are idiots.

If Charlton jumped off a cliff...

Thank god for that!!

Shearer for manager!!

I like your logic bluelaugh.gif

Thank god for that!!

Shearer for manager!!

shearer is quite clearly the fans choice i would love him to finally make the players realise what it means to play for newcastle united because i believe that he is the only person who truely understands that in reality!

Thank god for that!!

Shearer for manager!!

shearer is quite clearly the fans choice i would love him to finally make the players realise what it means to play for newcastle united because i believe that he is the only person who truely understands that in reality!

Whose fans!?!?

Sunderland?

Thank god for that!!

Shearer for manager!!

He most certainly is not "quite clearly the fans choice" - he is the choice of a few fans who think he will be some magical panacea to all our problems.

Other fans are terrified of Shepherd's dream appointment for a variety of reasons such as:

inexperience,

fear his legacy will be tarnished by the poison chalice that is the NUFC hotseat,

a suspicion that his man management skills leave much to be desired, (such as his suspected role in Bobby's removal, and his support of Souness)

that he will, despite claims to the contrary, toady to the chairman in order to save the club embarrassment etc (as apparently he does on BBC, keeping to the party line*)

* going on the reports of others as I don't get BBC coverage...

But then I'm becoming a naysayer - I know what I don't want but don't have any positive answers these days :(

Freddy will be quite happy to tread water until then, not appointing a serious manager so he can kick out whichever patsy is in the hotseat the moment the big red Shearerphone lights up in his office.

So he has a couple of personality traits that are different from Souness, that hardly makes him the anti-Souness or a knee-jerk appointment in a completely different direction. The main problems that were associated with Souness were that he fell out with players, holding personal grudges to the detriment of the team, and that he was tactically inept. Both these criticisms (whether deserved or not) have also already been levelled at Roeder.

i'm not advocating getting rid of roeder NOW, not at all

Uh....

it strikes me as obvious that what we need to come in at some point soon is a manager who won't take any shit.

Okay Joker. We had 3 wingers - one of whom is ageing, and another who is just a kid - we now have 4. Hardly overstocking is it? Especially when the wingers are typically the first players who get subbed to freshen up a team.

We brought in 3 strikers actually.

I guess you haven't been reading this board for long otherwise you'd know that for the vast majority on here the "desires of the fans" were actually to spend most of any money available on a complete overhaul of the defence. We are 9th in the goals conceeded table, and rock bottom of the goals scored table. Who was right about where we needed to strengthen? Manager or fans?

oh, and what clubs would put up with a 12 game run like we've had? charlton have just sacked their manager

Charlton are idiots.

If Charlton jumped off a cliff...

ah i see you're an advocate of being petty so i'll come back to you

number one - my definition of soon doesn't appear to coincide with yours, if i'd have meant "immediately" i'd have said it

number two - i don't recall stating that in EVERY POSSIBLE sense roeder was the anti souness merely implying in a managerial sense, what on earth did you think i meant? that's pitiful

number three - roeder was actually going to sell milner so we'd have been back to 3 wingers and i seem to recall common consensus being that duff, although a good price, was perhaps not the best utilisation of our megre funds as he might also have a negative impact on n'zogbias progress, which has become the case

number four - a chat room doesn't represent the opinion/mood of a city or club...if for example roeder had only signed freddy eastwood for 500,00 in the summer there'd have been a near riot, same for some unknown defender

number four (b) - about the manager being right and the fans wrong with only one striker available for the season do you really think it was a work of genius to target a striker when a club legend was retiring and needed replacing?  and do you think all the fans on these boards would have been happy if he'd signed 5 defenders and started the season with shola on his own and no backup?  get a grip

number five - rossi is on loan, we didn't sign him he'll be gone in a month or so, and sibierski is an attacking midfielders so we actually "signed" one striker

i'll reiterate - roeder made an almighty fucken mess of the transfer window - he succeeded in strengthening neither attack nor defence yet allowed the squad to diminish and be weakened as whole...i'm not suggesting it was all his fault, it stunk of the fat mans involment, which takes me back to us needing the type of character managing the team who could stand up and be counted, not telling us at the start of the summer he was happy to start the season with what he had then bemoan the size of his squad when the shit hit the fan

how "soon" we get that man will probably determine our immediate and long-term future as a club

ah i see you're an advocate of being petty so i'll come back to you

number one - my definition of soon doesn't appear to coincide with yours, if i'd have meant "immediately" i'd have said it

Forgive me for being petty again, but if you've already written Roeder off ("it strikes me as obvious that what we need to come in at some point soon is a manager who won't take any shit.") then what purpose does it serve keeping him on until we reach your definition of "soon" whenever that unspecified time may be?

number two - i don't recall stating that in EVERY POSSIBLE sense roeder was the anti souness merely implying in a managerial sense, what on earth did you think i meant? that's pitiful

The point is that every person in the world has SOME personality differences to every other person. To pick out some difference after the fact and say X is different to Y because X likes sprouts, but Y doesn't, OMG KNEEJERK APPOINTMENT! is ridiculous. If you want some credibility please tell me who the knee-jerk anti-Roeder appointment will be BEFORE it happens.

number three - roeder was actually going to sell milner so we'd have been back to 3 wingers and i seem to recall common consensus being that duff, although a good price, was perhaps not the best utilisation of our megre funds as he might also have a negative impact on n'zogbias progress, which has become the case

Most people on here would have you believe that Roeder knew nothing about trying to sell Milner, glad you agree that the chaiman doesn't interfere with transfers :winking: Actually, I agree with you that I think selling Milner would have been a bad idea. I think Duff is an excellent purchase. Time will tell. I think to say his purchase has had a negative impact on n'zogbias progress is ridiculous, unless you want a 20 year old playing over 50 games in a season. If at 20 n'zogbia can't stand any competition for places at all, then is he really the sort of player you want in your squad? He's going through a bit of a slump in form which is common at his age. He'll get over it.

number four - a chat room doesn't represent the opinion/mood of a city or club...if for example roeder had only signed freddy eastwood for 500,00 in the summer there'd have been a near riot, same for some unknown defender

The first part is quite right, but the second part is pretty condecending don't you think. Are you better than other people because you can use a computer?

number four (b) - about the manager being right and the fans wrong with only one striker available for the season do you really think it was a work of genius to target a striker when a club legend was retiring and needed replacing?  and do you think all the fans on these boards would have been happy if he'd signed 5 defenders and started the season with shola on his own and no backup?  get a grip

But you're argument was that we should have spent less on the attacking side than we did?

number five - rossi is on loan, we didn't sign him he'll be gone in a month or so, and sibierski is an attacking midfielders so we actually "signed" one striker

I have no doubt that we'll get someone in instead of Rossi, and Sibierski is in our squad as a forward.

i'll reiterate - roeder made an almighty fucken mess of the transfer window - he succeeded in strengthening neither attack nor defence yet allowed the squad to diminish and be weakened as whole...i'm not suggesting it was all his fault, it stunk of the fat mans involment, which takes me back to us needing the type of character managing the team who could stand up and be counted, not telling us at the start of the summer he was happy to start the season with what he had then bemoan the size of his squad when the shit hit the fan

how "soon" we get that man will probably determine our immediate and long-term future as a club

So you don't want Roeder out now, but you think the longer he's manager the more the club will suffer. I can only conclude you're a Mackem.

excellent riposte, tried and tested

i think he deserves some more time, but not much....it was so long ago now but i believe i mentioned something about if we continue in our current vein for 1-2 months, i.e. this crucial XMAS period then he will have to go surely?  or we'll be down

i like the guy, as do most people, but the cliche is true, results matter

what you have to see in a manager is the evidence of change when things aren't going right; pardew is showing signs of that at west ham but as yet i'm not seeing it with roeder

i sincerely hope he turns it around in the short term but doing that will not mask the glaring problems we face as a club from board level down

Thank god for that!!

Shearer for manager!!

________________________________________________________________________________

And where do you get this idea from ?

I think we all appreciated his heroics on the pitch but the thought of him returning as manager frightens the sh*t out of me.