Boumsong

Thespence

On SSN reckons when we lost he got blamed said you cant charge one man for this. Willing to join Big Eck @ Birmingham. Willing to go back to the Gers to end his career.

Nee need to re-apply for a job here sunbeam.

Was nowhere near as bad as some make out. Our whole defence was a car crash when he was here.

Surpised Birmingham are interested (if they are, which is probably fake) as they have a very solid, settled defence already.

On SSN reckons when we lost he got blamed said you cant charge one man for this. Willing to join Big Eck @ Birmingham. Willing to go back to the Gers to end his career.

Nee to re-apply for a job here sunbeam.

I always felt really bad for Boumsong. Really took a hell of a lot of stick at the time, most of which was furthered by the media. Another foreign defender who wasn't given time to settle, and who wasn't protected well by the midfield in front of him. He also moved to us in January which made things even tougher. Once the media got hold of him and everyone turned on him he completely fell to pieces.

He was good for the half season after January when we bought him but in that Man U game at the start of 2005/06 he was gash and never recovered from it

Agreed, he looked our best defender, imo, when he signed from Rangers at first. But after that (combined with really bad family issues) it just never went right for the chap...

Nee need to re-apply for a job here sunbeam.

I hope Boumsong is 'willing' to join Darlo - that is, if they're willing to have him....!

They reckon he was the only person Henry couldn't get passed, and to be fair to him on his day he was pretty good, it's just his day hardly ever came.

Yeah I remember Andy Gray being impressed that Boumsong matched Henry for pace when he first signed for us. He was very good when he first signed, same as Cacapa, and Colo, and no doubt many others...

Far too weak imo. Simply couldn't deal with a bit of strength and got absolutely bullied whenever he came up against some battering ram. It doesn't surprise me that he kept Henry in his back pocket, he was quick and technically on his day a very good defender. The constant gaffe's and being paired with Titus Bramble didn't help his cause like. One thing that did strike me about him was his balance, he seemed to be constantly falling over.

All in all, he just strikes me as a player who simply cant cut it in the PL, too weak, too soft and a too many costly errors.

Guest The Enforcer
One thing that did strike me about him was his balance, he seemed to be constantly falling over.

I remember he used to blame that on the fact that his feet were too big. His size 13 Puma boots had too much surface in the middle with not studs, so found it hard to stay on his feet.  ???

iirc he was having family problems too so his confidence was shot to pieces.

Well that might explain his performances. He was very indecisive and kept getting caught in no man's land.

Guest The Enforcer

Both his mother and son were very ill if I remember rightly and he had to keep travelling back to see them every week. Very disruptive, especially when you're trying to settle into a routine at aa new club in a new country and have the whole media laughing at you.

Do we know if they recovered from their illness in the end?

Guest firetotheworks

He lived up to the hype of how bad he was tbf. It wasn't that he lacked work ethic or anything like that, he was just shite. That Liverpool game is probably the worst performance I've seen from a Newcastle defender. 8 million man, unreal.

Still think given time he'd have come good. Went off to a massive club in black & white in the second tier and re-established himself, got himself back in the national side (sound familiar?), and has done very well with Lyon. Another example of writing off someone too soon imo.

Guest firetotheworks

Still think given time he'd have come good. Went off to a massive club in black & white in the second tier and re-established himself, got himself back in the national side (sound familiar?), and has done very well with Lyon. Another example of writing off someone too soon imo.

He made it too easy tbf.