Boumsong

Thespence

Guest Stephen927

He was poor in his time here, it didn't help him that he was playing alongside Bramble, nor did it help Bramble to play alongside Boumsong. He never hid though, he kept going out there after being ridiculed on Match of the Day, the media and the fans.

Not quite sure how he plays regularly in the champions league. The french league must be gash, that's the only way they can have the confidence to play him in Europe.

Boumsong was very poor, it's still laughable that we paid so much for this clown who joined Rangers on a free transfer only months earlier.

Don't understand your logic regarding signing on a free. Chamakh is likely to sign on a free with Arsenal does that make him crap? Or does it mean he should therefore only be sold on the cheap in future?

Guest firetotheworks

Boumsong was very poor, it's still laughable that we paid so much for this clown who joined Rangers on a free transfer only months earlier.

Don't understand your logic regarding signing on a free. Chamakh is likely to sign on a free with Arsenal does that make him crap? Or does it mean he should therefore only be sold on the cheap in future?

I think it's more to do with the fact we bought a player for 8m, because they'd only just signed for another team. And that very same player was targeted to be bought by SBR when he went on a free to Rangers. Nothing to do with the player's quality, just the scenario, and then how poor his quality was.

I think it's more to do with the fact we bought a player for 8m, because they'd only just signed for another team. And that very same player was targeted to be bought by SBR when he went on a free to Rangers. Nothing to do with the player's quality, just the scenario, and then how poor his quality was.

Nothing to do with the relationship between Souness and David Murray of course :whistle:

Nothing to do with the relationship between Souness and David Murray of course :whistle:

*cough* Willie McKay *cough*

Boumsong signed a pre contract with Rangers in Jan 2004.  Robson tried to sign Boumsong when Rangers crashed out of Europe and the Woodgate bid had been accepted, he was still looking to splash the cash on him not just Souness.

McKay was one of the agents investigated by the Quest team, led by Lord Stevens, which looked into allegations of "bungs" and fraud in transfers. The Daily Express claimed in December 2006 that the £8.5m transfer of Jean-Alain Boumsong from Rangers F.C. to Newcastle United was one of the deals being examined by Quest. However Quest said of Graeme Souness, who was manager of Newcastle at the time of the Boumsong transfer, "We wish to make it clear that inconsistencies did not exist within the evidence given by Graeme Souness to Quest concerning his role in transfers covered by the Inquiry during his time as manager of Newcastle United FC and neither the Premier League nor do Quest have any concerns in this regard".[1] In the final report of the Stevens inquiry he was criticised for his failure to co-operate with the inquiry. However, Quest later issued the following statement: "Further to the key findings from the final Quest report published on 15 June 2007 by the Premier League, Quest would like to emphasise that, in that report, it was clear that no evidence of irregular payments was found in the transfers in the inquiry period which involved the agent Willie McKay. Quest would also like to thank Mr McKay for his cooperation with the inquiry".[2] On 1 February 2008 McKay won substantial libel damages against the Daily Express over false claims about his transfer dealings.

Just in case there was any, you know, er...doubt...

I still remember his first game for us, against the mighty Yeading in the cup. I recall people on this very board, saying how good he look and how excitied they were by him, but in reality, he looked dodgy as hell against a non league club. He was a disaster of a CB, an awful signing, even time can not dull the memories of how bad he was.

We paid £8 million for him, a few months and a dozen league games after he'd moved on a free.  Souness was later thanked by the Rangers chairman for helping Rangers.

Boumsong signed a pre contract with Rangers in Jan 2004.  Robson tried to sign Boumsong when Rangers crashed out of Europe and the Woodgate bid had been accepted, he was still looking to splash the cash on him not just Souness.

Robson looked at him, I'm not sure he went as far as trying to sign him and he certainly wasn't looking to pay £8 million for him.

Guest Heneage

Robson was a big fan of Boumsong and his Auxerre defensive partner Philipe Mexes, who we really should have tried to get.

Guest neesy111

Robson was a big fan of Boumsong and his Auxerre defensive partner Philipe Mexes, who we really should have tried to get.

i seem to remeber robson saying the exact opposite, hence why he didn't try to sign him on a free

Guest Heneage

i seem to remeber robson saying the exact opposite, hence why he didn't try to sign him on a free

Was numerous Chron articles about him wanting to sign one or both, but Auxerre wanted silly money for Mexes.

Guest Phil K

It was one of the most disgusting set-ups ever to involve Newcastle - where Souness paid WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over the odds for crap to help out his old clubs financial problems.

Again, no different to paying £6m on Bramble to Ipswich who were heading for administration.

Ipswich weren't heading for administration when we bought Bramble.

Edit.

They probably were but I was confusing Bramble with Ambrose who we actually bought off the administrator.  That still doesn't change the fact that we paid £8 million for a player who had played 12 league games since moving on a free transfer.

Again, no different to paying £6m on Bramble to Ipswich who were heading for administration.

Ipswich weren't heading for administration when we bought Bramble.

Edit.

They probably were but I was confusing Bramble with Ambrose who we actually bought off the administrator.  That still doesn't change the fact that we paid £8 million for a player who had played 12 league games since moving on a free transfer.

He was only Free because of his contract, and £8m for a full French international in his prime was the going rate. As KaKa says, if Chamakh signs for Arsenal on a Bosman this summer, if someone like Barca tried getting him in January you're probably looking at around £15m,

That's the way I remember it too. Pretty sure that it was Robson's decision not to pursue him.