Boumsong

Thespence

He was only Free because of his contract, and £8m for a full French international in his prime was the going rate. As KaKa says, if Chamakh signs for Arsenal on a Bosman this summer, if someone like Barca tried getting him in January you're probably looking at around £15m,

I know why he was free, he wasn't worth £8 million and we could have had him for nothing but Bobby watched him play in France and didn't go near him even on a free.

Again, no different to paying £6m on Bramble to Ipswich who were heading for administration.

Ipswich weren't heading for administration when we bought Bramble.

Edit.

They probably were but I was confusing Bramble with Ambrose who we actually bought off the administrator.  That still doesn't change the fact that we paid £8 million for a player who had played 12 league games since moving on a free transfer.

He was only Free because of his contract, and £8m for a full French international in his prime was the going rate. As KaKa says, if Chamakh signs for Arsenal on a Bosman this summer, if someone like Barca tried getting him in January you're probably looking at around £15m,

Quite correct. Similar to the Owen situation in some senses. Madrid paid significantly less than us due to contractual situation rather than 'true'  market value. Boumsong was shit when he was here though.

He was another reason why Titus never reached his potential apparently. Titus was a reason Steven Taylor never will etc etc ad infinitum

I know why he was free, he wasn't worth £8 million and we could have had him for nothing but Bobby watched him play in France and didn't go near him even on a free.

And yet he's done more than well enough at every other club. I'm not arguing that he wasn't poor here, but didn't see a problem with the fee.

And yet he's done more than well enough at every other club. I'm not arguing that he wasn't poor here, but didn't see a problem with the fee.

The City of London Police thought something was wrong and raided the club and removed computers, they also raided the house of a former employee.  They didn't take matters further but that only proves that they didn't find enough to go any further, it doesn't prove that nothing was wrong.

Was numerous Chron articles about him wanting to sign one or both, but Auxerre wanted silly money for Mexes.

Boumsong was available on a free transfer whilst at Auxerre, and Bobby Robson the then manager had shown a keen interest in him; even travelling to France to watch the player. However he neglected to sign him; even with the option of a free transfer.

I cant remember us being afte P.Mexes but if you find a link please post so I can refresh my memory :thup:

Used to absolutely shit himself whenever a high ball came his way, let it bounce and then get muscled out of it. He was alright on the deck, very quick but horrendous in the air and weak as piss. Doesn't surprise me that he's done well enough elsewhere but never a Premiership player. Suffered from similar problems to Coloccini in getting totally bossed around by big strikers, hopefully Colo's year of getting to play against a load of shite ones will have done him some good.