The kind of thing that makes me angry.

Parky

"Parents are pressuring doctors to prescribe anti-depressants for their children when counselling would be more beneficial, a report has concluded.

Doctors surveyed said they had seen a sharp rise in the number of teenagers with mental health problems, as well as self-harm and eating disorders, over the past five years.

More than a third of GPs said that they felt under pressure from parents to provide a "quick fix" of Prozac or another drug."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/17/uanti117.xml

Honestly man shouldn't there be something done about these parents?

Read about this in the ST. A lot of 'behaviour disorders' are just cases of naughty kids imo. I wouldn't want to belittle mental illness / depression in any way as I've had experience of genuine cases with a friend and a family member but this quick fix mentality is symptomatic of a lot of the problems in society. Discipline your naughty child, you cunts!

"Parents are pressuring doctors to prescribe anti-depressants for their children when counselling would be more beneficial, a report has concluded.

Doctors surveyed said they had seen a sharp rise in the number of teenagers with mental health problems, as well as self-harm and eating disorders, over the past five years.

More than a third of GPs said that they felt under pressure from parents to provide a "quick fix" of Prozac or another drug."

Yes, you're right, they should have Prozac too

It does seem to be a symptom of modern life that certain people will look to others to solve their problems for them.  In the Kitman household, no-one takes a belt to the children but me  :cool:

Hyperactive child? ADHD?

Modern treatment is to give the child a form of amphetamine. Apparently it helps them focus but the side effects are, surprisingly, a lack of appetite and difficulties in sleeping.  blueeek.gif

(What the label doesnt say is that it also leads to either heavy drinking and a love of goth music or in extreme cases a minimalist techno fetish)

"What the label doesnt say is that it also leads to either heavy drinking and a love of goth music or in extreme cases a minimalist techno fetish).." Chix

The extreme doesn't seem so bad in this scenario. bluewink.gif

Most doctors don't have a clue anyway, whatever you go in with their answer is: "Take these pills and shut the fuck up", particularly antibiotics, they give them out like sweets and for stuff like viruses, for which they don't even work. It's all about getting people in and out asap and meeting meaningless targets.

Genuine conversation I had with a doctor I saw because I get very light headed and feint:

Him: Hows life in general, job ok? private life settled? any major stresses

Me: Never better, just started a new job, got my degree and private life is great, no stresses at the moment

Hime: hmmm, with your symtoms I'd say you are suffring from slight depression and the light headedness is being brought on by stress and panic attacks.

muppet

Most doctors don't have a clue anyway, whatever you go in with their answer is: "Take these pills and shut the **** up", particularly antibiotics, they give them out like sweets and for stuff like viruses, for which they don't even work. It's all about getting people in and out asap and meeting meaningless targets.

That's completely at odds with my experiences of GPs. Not sure how giving out drugs left, right and centre would help meet any targets they've been set either. Quite the opposite I would say.

Hyperactive child? ADHD?

Modern treatment is to give the child a form of amphetamine. Apparently it helps them focus but the side effects are, surprisingly, a lack of appetite and difficulties in sleeping.  blueeek.gif

(What the label doesnt say is that it also leads to either heavy drinking and a love of goth music or in extreme cases a minimalist techno fetish)

The lucky few with good taste that is.

Hyperactive child? ADHD?

The lucky few with good taste that is.

Exactly. If my kids start playing up am just going to pump them full of Ritalin and whack on some Carl Craig.

Most doctors don't have a clue anyway, whatever you go in with their answer is: "Take these pills and shut the **** up", particularly antibiotics, they give them out like sweets and for stuff like viruses, for which they don't even work. It's all about getting people in and out asap and meeting meaningless targets.

That's completely at odds with my experiences of GPs. Not sure how giving out drugs left, right and centre would help meet any targets they've been set either. Quite the opposite I would say.

They have targets to reduce anti-biotic prescribing i think. Sound advice is never take them unless your life is in danger as you will need them more when you are older. No point in building resistance to them for the sake of a throat infection tbh.

Guest Magnetic North

To think the Mrs gets upset if the littleun and me have a mini food fight at dinner. I nornally get the telling off! :wullie:

That reminds me of the time my son was slurping through a yoghurt in his high chair and accidentally dropped the yoghurt top onto the carpet. When my wife went under his chair to retrieve it he thwacked her on the head with his metal spoon! An innocent act of 'fun' given his age but she was incandescent with rage  whistling.gif

Guest Magnetic North

I've got to be careful at meal times, remembering a friend's wife who nearly knocked him out with a frozen lasagne  blueeek.gif

Guest Magnetic North

...true enough.

...and there was the time his wife threw a wine glass at him because he'd left cutlery out on the bench (!). He got away with small cuts to his chest  blueeek.gif

...true enough.

...and there was the time his wife threw a wine glass at him because he'd left cutlery out on the bench (!). He got away with small cuts to his chest  blueeek.gif

Sounds like he should be getting danger money at tea time

Guest Magnetic North

...true enough.

Sounds like he should be getting danger money at tea time

Yup, and worryingly for him his wife's a lot bigger than him. Poor b*gger.

I think the biggest problem with kids is not only a lack of discipline but also the biggest concern is diet so much sugary and junk food is given to kids today their little bodies just can't cope with it. I can remember when I was a kid that Saturday I would get lemonade and icecream as a weekly treat and thaat was only time I would get something like that otherwise it was home cooked desserts if we had them. But I agree it pretty disgusting with the way parents want to give their kids litttle pills to do the job that they should be doing. My advice to parents "change their fucking diet you numptys"