Trojen horses

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

My mam ran her anti-virus and Malware and a load(and I mean load) of warnings came up about trojen horses. What is the best thingto do from here. I told her to take her laptop to the local independent computer rea

paid shop, because I don't feel confident about fixing it. Is there anything simple she can do to rightit, or is it best to just take it to the shop?

Guest elbee909

My mam ran her anti-virus and Malware and a load(and I mean load) of warnings came up about trojen horses. What is the best thingto do from here. I told her to take her laptop to the local independent computer rea

paid shop, because I don't feel confident about fixing it. Is there anything simple she can do to rightit, or is it best to just take it to the shop?

1. Backup anything she wants to keep (Pictures, email, software etc.) to an external HD.

2. Restore the operating system from scratch.  Some laptops let you do this without needing a disc, as they store a copy of Windows on a special partition of the hard drive.

Then, try to stop her 1) letting other people use her laptop and/or 2) clicking on stupid website links/downloading rubbish etc.  If people drove their cars with the same care that they use their computers then insurance companies would have gone bust a long time ago!

Guest Lazlo

Just run a complete scan with her a/v and also run malware bytes. Run them both again.

If she can get on and do stuff then it's not a massive issue.

Don't fret, if it's only trojans that you are being warned about there's no need to restore, if it was nasty, restore wouldn't get rid of it anyway.

Post back, let us know how you got on.

[make sure both av and malware are updated before you run]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roger Kint

Probs the best place for this instead of starting a new thread.

I logged onto my home pc last night to a virus warning(trojan) where a strange anti virus started up firing warnings all over(the virus was antivirus soft) anyway i ran it in safemode, used virgin medias av, nothing came up, used malwarebytes and again nothing yet it was blocking me from accessing the control panel or most other sytems when in the normal mode. I narrowed it down to a HTC file for my fone but had to turn the time back to before i installed it just so i could remove it all.

Anyways, the virus seems to have gone, no 20 warnings a minute or owt but as its not getting picked up off those two programs i dont want to reset to the current date. Any ideas how to make sure its safe to do so?

Guest Roger Kint

Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ get the free version and let it scan your machine. It's the best software I've found for getting rid of the problem you had. If any trace of it has been left behind malwarebytes will get shot.

Just noticed this, as i said in my post malwarebytes didnt pick it up but bitdefender did so got it fixed eventually, hopefully all sorted now cheers O0